k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

If you're reading this review, odds are you're pretty excited for the Scarlet Speedster's upcoming CW show. Thankfully, this series manages to give us a decent look at the TV series and its characters without blatantly spoiling anything huge. The primary cast is here, but after the basics are established, we're off on a side adventure which is, well, quite silly. But you know what? It's fitting for the book's visuals and honestly, it's quite fun.

Andrew Kreisberg (story) and co-writers Brooke Eikmeier and Katherine Walczak make sure this is a 100% new reader friendly experience. Everything you need to know (how he received his powers and who he is) is quickly established and in a fairly interesting way, too. The banter won't have you laughing out loud but it does make Barry a likable lead. Additionally, feeling like we're discovering this world alongside the rookie hero is an entertaining experience. The action is very brief but it's still pleasant to observe. Hopefully we'll get more of it in the next installment.

Artist Phil Hester, inker Eric Gapstur, and colorist Kelsey Shannon are a good fit for the lighthearted series that's packing not-so-serious villains. Hester's more animated characters work well and, minor gripes aside, it's a really terrific match for the tone. The emphasis on going heavy with the inks and using vivid colors helps the brief origin story stand apart from the rest of the ride. It's an effective move since the origin has a way darker atmosphere while the rest of the tale is more focus on sprinkling in a little more comedy and fun.

The Bad

I'm enjoying Hester's character work, but Barry's appearance tends to fluctuate. It's also a little distracting that he doesn't look all that much like Gustin Grant. As for the story, I know there's going to be some drama when it comes to relationships (it is based on a CW show, after all), but the numerous lines highlighting the love triangle felt like it went a bit overboard. The first example made the situation more than clear and the rest just made me wish the time was being spent on more interesting scenes.

Question: how'd Barry break his ankle? The "Strongman" hits his upper body and then it's his back that smashes against the column.

The Verdict

THE FLASH: SEASON ZERO #1 is a good time. It offers an animated look at the upcoming show's world and keeps us entertained with amusing interactions and seemingly silly villains. It's not compelling or thought-provoking stuff, but it is fun. So, if you're really excited for the new show, you'll likely have an entertaining time reading this comic. Will it be enough to make you count down the days until the next chapter? Probably not, but when it does come out, you'll likely be interested enough to check it out and hope it's just as enjoyable!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I hope it's better than the Arrow series.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think this will be DC's best new show IMO, we'll see though but looks good!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My money is on Constantine for best show.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallingcliffs said:

While I'll agree that as an episode the Constantine Pilot was better but what Flash set up at the end shows promise.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i'm so pump for The Flash i can't wait till next week.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read it. It was pretty fun. I also read the Arrow Season 2.5 one, it's an improvement over the first trade, which was just miscellaneous stories, now they are doing stuff, and we get to see the Ollie/Roy team up before the show

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallingcliffs said:

Guess we'll see ;) I'm watching both! lol I can't get into Gotham(I know this reasons been stated but no Batman, it's kind of boring for me :( )

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@fallingcliffs: I may consider watching Gotham with my family, because it's clear it was made for non-comic fans.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Yeah, I mean it's going to end with him being Batman so I'll probably watch the series finale in a few years lol.

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else get the Francis Manapul variant cover?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.