gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

I want a Barry Allen/Hal Jordan series. I want this series written by Brian Buccellato.

When it comes to comic book annuals, there's sometimes the question as to whether or not the issue is "worth" getting. Does it have anything to truly offer the reader? The answer here is a big yes.

Free from the constraints of the current storyline, we see Buccellato allowed to cut loose and tell a story clearly the way he wanted to tell it. From the banter/dialogue to the action, the story flowed so freely, you can't help but enjoy the issue and have a fun time while reading it.

The story begins with Barry and Hal out for a final night before Hal takes on his responsibilities leading the Green Lantern Corps. As they get pulled into a dire situation, we see it connects back to when they first met. In JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, we saw the two had some sort of history together. This is where it began.

The way Hal and Barry talk to each other feels completely natural. They take shots and insult each other the way that friends do. This is something we only see from time to time in comics. It's great being able to get a sense of what their friendship must be like.

I've long been a fan of Sami Basri. Seeing his art is great here and it fits the story nicely. Francis Manapul (and Buccellato) deliver a remarkable cover. The backup by Nicole Dubuc and Cully Hamner allow us to see how others approach the character. Having this story touch upon events from "two years ago" in Barry's life is pretty cool. At the same time, I am so incredibly grateful Buccellato wrote Barry and Hal's first meeting as taking place "a few years ago" rather than give a specific time frame.

The Bad

There were a couple elements that felt a little too convenient in the main story. Hal also does something with his ring I don't believe we've seen before. It's interesting and I wonder if we'll see it touched upon later.

The backup story was just okay. It's a story that has a bit of a message to it. It does a good job in displaying Barry as a hero but didn't really feel as if it added anything to the Flash or was fully necessary.

The Verdict

There's still so much in the New 52 that we don't know. Seeing a flashback that touches upon the first meeting between Barry Allen and Hal Jordan was a welcomed treat. Brian Buccellato shows he fully gets the characters and does a superb job crafting the dialogue and banter between the two. This story makes me want to see a Buccellato written Flash/Green Lantern team-up book. The characters are so different yet work so well together. Sami Basri's art is great and seeing Cully Hamner's take on the Flash was enjoyable as well. THE FLASH ANNUAL is a comic everyone can enjoy. You can dive right in and get a good comic reading experience. This is exactly what a comic book annual should deliver.

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HollowPrince65

I loved this issue. The art wasn't as nice as the ongoing, but still really good to look at. The one liners and banter was funny and entertaining and I just love the Flash/GL brolationship here. Its a fantastic read. Worth the 4.99

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

i so need to pick this up.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Gonna read this latter, should be good.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!thumbs up

Seriously, I haven't enjoyed an issue this much in a very long time and the way Barry defeated "The Champion" was just priceless!laughing

I want a Barry Allen/Hal Jordan series. I want this series written by Brian Buccellato.

Please DC, make it happen... praying

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

This duo would make an amazing ongoing. Much more interesting than forcing Batman and Superman together some more.

34g3f3ert3t43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait... So this takes place when? I thought Hal Leading the GLs happened long after issue #1 of JL?

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@n1colaspr1me: Part of the story takes place in the present, the other part takes place before JL 1

34g3f3ert3t43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cannot wait to read this. Seeing these guys team-up is gonna be great.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also want an ongoing about this duo.

If Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman are successful enough is sure as hell this is possible.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@teerack: hey, batman and supes have always had a natural relationship for an ongoing... the forced one i think you're talking about must be referring to the god damn superman/wonder woman ongoing... that's unnaturally forced

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By frogjitsu

THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

Seriously, I haven't enjoyed an issue this much in a very long time and the way Barry defeated "The Champion" was just priceless!

Please DC, make it happen...

Yes, we need a Flash/GL book, by Buccellato. The banter between them was great.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@baberaham_lincoln: No Batman and Superman have been so horribly forced together so many times people have actually developed a belief that they have a natural relationship.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@teerack: like...me?!?!? oh shit... ;P. I don't even read batman/superman, so i assumed everyone liked it so much since the sales for the first issue of Greg Pak's ongoing was second most sold comics, next to Superman unchained. My bad if i assumed to far =D

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I liked the back up story better than the main one, I don't see the problem of it being needed, since when did we really need great stories?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By sinestro_GL

Solid issue.

Though, I've never been a fan of non-lanterns wielding green lantern rings...don't worry Viners, this isn;t a spoiler as it's on the cover :P

I was a bigger fan of The Flash Annual #1 - United They Fall, but this was still an issue worth the price.

shusho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shusho

I really enjoyed Cully Hamner's art, I like those angular lines and bold shadows on bodies.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I'm thinking of getting this. I love the Flash, but I never really liked the Green Lantern. Maybe this can get me into his comic too and make me give more money to DC than what I already give them.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

We now need a Atom/Hawkman meeting.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dbatdog

Love this book! Also I'm petitioning for Flash/Green Lantern book.

Provehito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Provehito

This annual was awesome! I think the Flash is slowly becoming my favorite superhero. The interactions were nicely done, real. It really is nice to see Hal and Barry joke with each other as real friends would with each other.

Also, that coup d'grace was really fun.

EDIT: Oh, and the backup story, that was really nice too. It's something seen before, but reading how the small actions the Flash did also had a positive effect in the future. That was beautiful.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I thought the backup story was MUCH better than the main one. THe main one had potential, but it was really rushed at times.

bennyq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What was the thing Hal did that we haven't seen before?

bigboi100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@bennyq said:

What was the thing Hal did that we haven't seen before?

was that Hal in the coffin?

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By saoakden

Flash/Green Lantern book, make it happen DC Comics!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.