carnivalofsins00's The Flash #3 - Lights Out review

The Flash #3

I was relieved and very pleasantly surprised after reading The Flash #1. I knew it would look beautiful, because that is what Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato do, but when they also provided an interesting, and well written, story, I knew I was in for something special.

Manapul and Buccellato introduced a new ability of Barry Allen's last issue that is very interesting and we got a glimpse as to how it works. At the start of this issue, they take one of the Flash's trademark abilities and use it in a completely new way. This is exactly what they promised and it's working out so well and leads to some really interesting, and oh so beautiful, pages.

As of now, we know the book will look great no matter what, but how does the writing hold up? I'm happy to say that the story Manapul and Buccellato are telling has me hooked. I'm really digging the new direction and new characters, and their take on old one as well. While I do love where the story is going, I did feel like some of the dialogue was kind of off at certain parts. I just think it's part of really getting into the practice of writing, and it's definitely getting better and better with each issue.

Francis Manapul is one of my favorite artists, period. I would enjoy his artwork even if the book wasn't well written. That is not the case however, and that makes ms very happy. This issue is beautiful, and well written for the most part, and with a final page such as in this issue, how could I not be excited for next issue.

SCORE