The Flash #16

#1 Posted by G-Man (29415 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

Since the New 52 started, I've been wanting more information on what happened between Barry Allen and Iris West. This is the issue we get some answers. Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato make this such a great flashback scene. Aside from it's beauty, it's also a little heart-breaking. That is just the tip of the iceberg. In a continuation from last issue, The layouts for the scene with Barry and Patty is another piece of beauty. The use of the shadows from blinds is brilliant.

For those starting to get concerned this is just about the many loves of Barry Allen needn't worry. We are still in the midst of the Gorilla Warfare storyline. Barry makes a decision on what he needs to do next, the Rogues continue doing their part and we finally get to see more of Iris and the others trapped in the Speed Force.

It's not often I use the word "beautiful' so often in a review but that's the only way to describe what Manapul and Buccellato do. Not to diminish their storytelling abilities (because I'm really digging what's happening) but I'd hate to see this issue done by a different art team. This is a comic that I'll read and then look over again and again just to take in all of the imagery.

The Bad

The only bad thing is seeing the turmoil and hardship the characters are going through. It's almost enough to put a knot in your stomach.

There was a slight turn of events towards the end. This is where having an extra couple pages would have been nice.

The Verdict

Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato have given us another great issue of THE FLASH. We get to see more on the past between Barry and Iris. With his vision from last issue, Barry's trying to figure out what to do against Gorilla Grodd and his invading army. Seeing the Rogues and the different flashbacks along with the gorgeous art and colors makes this a great comic to read and enjoy. There were so many moments in this that got me excited and long for the next issue. THE FLASH isn't just about a guy that runs around fast. There are many layers and Manapul and Buccellato clearly know what the readers want to see.

Staff

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.