the_poet's The Flash #114 - The Big Freeze! / King of the Beatniks! review

A Cold proposal

I've been reading the new DC New 52 series of Flash (whose art is very amazing) and there was this very small moment of interaction between Iris West and Captain Cold in issue #3 of that series. It only lasts a few frames, but I was reminded of that interaction when I read this issue recently.

The Good: Captain Cold ♥'s Iris West?

Iris West was really used as a plot device in this early Flash series, so one of the highlights of this issue was more "screen time" for Iris. Not only that, but she also has more interactions with people, especially one of Flash's major rogues like Captain Cold. It’s just plain weird for a new reader like me who has not seen that many interactions between these two major Flash characters to have him have a crush on Iris. As I said, its weird.

We recently saw something similar in the Flashpoint series “Citizen Cold”, but the circumstances of that interaction was slightly different. However, its intriguing to see where writers started playing with their relationship. I also love that Snart is the first character ever to ask Iris to marry him (thus beating Barry!).

The in between Bad and good: Wally West's Story

I'll admit I'm not really a fan of these early Wally West (Kid Flash) stories. They seem like they are directed toward a younger audience because there isn't that much challenge in these stories. I haven't seen a major villain for Wally yet, but I'll admit these stories are improving. I'm beginning to see more of a difference between Wally and Barry in these stories, but there is much more to go before we see the Wally West who takes on the Mantel of the Flash.

Conclusion

This is a good issue. The highlight of it for me has to be the Captain Cold story. I have to say that all of these early captain Cold stories are actually really decent. If you ever get a chance to read some of the early flash comics either in the reprint volumes or through Comixology's digital comics, then I would strongly advice that you read some of these issues. they are just plain cool (pun not intended, but welcomed anyway...)

Can you feel the love tonight? :P
Posted by papo

quick question at one of the comic books that I visit recently they had this issue on display with the tag that said captain cold first appearance. but I did my homework and find out captain cold first appearance was on Showcase #8. was this the first appearance on the flash comic or his just trying to get some extra money out of and old comic?

Posted by The Poet

@papo said:

you are quite right. the label was inacuarte. this is technically his second appearance ever in comics (the first as you said is in Showcase #8 which I am proud to say I have reviewed). It might be that they were meaning it was his first appearence in the series titled Flash (which spun off from Barry's successful run in Showcase, continuing the Jay Garrick numbering), but either way it would be interesting to ask the people who work there to see if it was a mistake or what...

Moderator
Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k

Cool review man.

I must say, that I`ve never been a fan of a supervillain asking the love interest of a hero, to be their wife. Or a superhero asking a superheroes or villains wife to marry him. Or her. But I also must say, that Cold is simply charming in those two panels! That makes his proposal the best proposal, I`ve ever read a supervillain say!

Posted by The Poet

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

Cool review man.

thanks

yep it is charming when the guy appears suddenly in your house and theatens you if you don't marry him :P

Moderator
Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k

@The Poet:

I was talking about those two panels, not the rest of the story that I haven`t even read.