the_poet's The Flash #108 - The Speed of Doom! / The Super-Gorilla's Secret Identity! review

Iris & Barry's aniversary and Grodd's evolution

This issue has two different themes. Love and Evolution. I'll talk about those and more in this review of The Flash #108!

Love

Iris West and Barry Allen have had an interesting relationship in these first few issues. In order to persuade people he is NOT the Fastest Man Alive, Barry is always late or slow doing things. This secret identity technec reminds me of how Superman always acts all skittish and less powerful than he is regularly is as Superman. It is actually pretty comical how Iris scolds Barry for not being faster in the past issues. He's always late for their dates, so she seems to remark about his slowness every so often. But, even with this aspect of Barry's identity, their relationship still stands. In this issue, we learn that their first date was on July 4th in Central City Park. Through out the issue, we can see how the two actually care about each other, which makes each issue enjoyable with all the ups and downs in their relationship through the series

Aren't those colors really nice to look at?

Evolution

In the second story, we read about Gorilla Grodd and his third adventure with Flash. I can't say to much without spoiling things, but I will say I'm not as crazy about this particular story. Grodd just seems out of character. I've always thought Grodd considered himself superior to humans, so to become one as a secret identity, is just weird. Of course, this Grodd is not fully the character we see today, so maybe we can make such an exception in this case. If we ignore the more modern takes on the character, this story is actually pretty entertaining. He gets some new superpowers, which is interesting. There is also an interesting transformation scene where the human Grodd turns back into a gorilla. Reminds me of Hulk.

The Art

I was asked about the art last review, so I thought I would address it here. From Showcase #4 to this current issue, the art is pretty much the same. I think art is wonderful, but what makes it wonderful at least for me is the color. These comics had colorists who did not hold back on colors. So, the art is nice to look at...

Conclusion

Other than some complaints regarding Grodd's developing character, this issue is good. Its a nice show of Iris and Barry's relationship. So, good issue over all.

ah, isn't that sweet? :)
Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k

Yes, it is sweet. Those kind of moments make me smile.

A nice review, once again. But, I`m seeing that you`re getting, maybe, too used to reviewing. It makes your reviews seem a little incomplete, for some reason. But I don`t know why...

Oh well. No matter what I think, don`t stop the reviewing. I know that you wont, but I just wanted to reassure you that your reviews aren`t lousy to me.

Posted by The Poet

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

Yes, it is sweet. Those kind of moments make me smile.

well, I couldn't talk too much about this issue like I wanted to. I really wanted to rant about Gorilla Grodd's interesting adventure, but I didn't want to spoil the issue. I'll try next time to do even better...

Moderator
Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k

@The Poet:

Yeah well, maybe it`s just me, who is already so use to your reviews (or something like that).