tchrevor's The Flash #1 - The Flash review

Flash in the Pan

Barry Allen and Iris West are not married. They are not even dating. This is an important part of the issue - especially for the Flash who was being berated by Iris for most of his adult life. I understand that the new initiative hopes to rope in younger readers, but not every hero needs to be Spider-man.

I bring this up because of questions it raises for Wally West. If he hasn't been wiped out of continuity altogether, is he still married? Does he have kids? Are we to understand that Kid Flash grew up, got married and had two children and Barry Allen has been single the whole time?

I haven't been a fan of bringing Barry back to life and if they are just going to make radical changes to the character anyway, I don't see why they couldn't have just wiped out Wally's marriage. Yes, being a forensic scientist is more compelling than...whatever the hell Wally was, but the decision still makes me feel that certain people are in favor of restructuring comics to resemble how comics were when they were kids.

BUT, what about this issue specifically? It was decent, but taking Iris out of Barry's life makes me feel like I don't even recognize this character. I'm not anxious for the second issue, but I will pick it up, continuity concerns aside. I'm usually not a huge stickler about continuity, but taking the brow-beating Iris out of Barry's world is like making Alfred Bruce Wayne's weekend housecleaner.