Follow

The Doctor

Character » The Doctor appears in 2191 issues.

A super-intelligent alien Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, the Doctor travels throughout time and space, adventuring and righting wrongs with his/her companions.

Why is he called Doctor Who?

Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Elixir95

His alias is the Doctor, not Doctor Who (well, he is most of the time).  Doctor Who is the name of the TV Show, not the character.  But I suppose you've chose Doctor Who so more people would know who he is.  Damn.

The Time Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The Time Lord

It's really simple.....really

His name is the doctor(I clap to you, for you have established that) but he Is known by nothing else, so when calling on the Doctor the question Doctor Who rises to the occasion, no man has one name especially not a name such as the doctor, so that is pretty much why, so not knowing his second name gave him the name of a question(which is really what his life is), it's as simple as how eating food makes you full =]

Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Elixir95

1) I don't need to be patronized.

2) I'm asking why is the page called Doctor Who, and I can see why the question gets raised.

3) The Doctor is his name, Doctor Who is the name of the TV Show, and the question that is asked to the Doctor when he tells them what his name is, to which he normally replies "Just the Doctor".

The Time Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The Time Lord
    Elixir95 said:
    "1) I don't need to be patronized.

2) I'm asking why is the page called Doctor Who, and I can see why the question gets raised.

3) The Doctor is his name, Doctor Who is the name of the TV Show, and the question that is asked to the Doctor when he tells them what his name is, to which he normally replies "Just the Doctor".
    "
    I see what you mean, but thats just his characters name

It's like why isn't John Constantine called John Constantine? thats his name but instead we call him constantine
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a08a02678f1f
    deactivated-5a08a02678f1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Methos is soooooooooooooooooooooo gonna post in this thread.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Methos
    Shiryu said:
    "

"

correct...

as established his name is not Doctor Who but rather The Doctor, and even that isn't his real name, but we won't get into that as the database couldn't handle his full name anyway...

basically the reason his page is listed as Doctor Who instead of The Doctor is because it is his most used alias after The Doctor and there are already 14 pages named The Doctor, so you can access it from The Doctor as well, but Doctor Who makes the database search much easier to handle...

there's the techno reason, the short reason is, i can't be bothered changing it :p

M
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Methos said:
    "Shiryu said:
    "

"

correct...

as established his name is not Doctor Who but rather The Doctor, and even that isn't his real name, but we won't get into that as the database couldn't handle his full name anyway...

basically the reason his page is listed as Doctor Who instead of The Doctor is because it is his most used alias after The Doctor and there are already 14 pages named The Doctor, so you can access it from The Doctor as well, but Doctor Who makes the database search much easier to handle...

there's the techno reason, the short reason is, i can't be bothered changing it :p

M
    "
    I knew you'd post in this. lol.
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Methos

well i am the Dr Who guy :p

M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Methos said:
    "well i am the Dr Who guy :p

M

"

lmao.
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Methos

For the people asking me what his real name is...

The Doctor's real name is actually a string of Mathematical and Greek symbols. Theta-Sigma would be a shortening of his full name, just as Romana is merely a shortening. In "Tooth and Claw" the Doctor identifies himself as "Dr. James McCrimmon" which, as most of us know, is Jamie from the 2nd Doctor. He also uses John Smith quite often. Madame de Pompudor from "Girl in the Fireplace" reads the Doctors mind and says something like, "your name is more than a secret".

The Doctor has referred to himself as being "more than just a timelord" during Sylvestor McCoy's tenure. It has been suggested in the novels that the Doctor actually is in his THIRD set of regenerations, and was originally known as "The Other" and was the third in the group of Rassilon and Omega.

Doctor Who?
    Doctor Who?
    The question marks were on Tom Bakers collar from "The Leisure Hive" onwards, and they subsequently apeared in the same place on the 5th and 6th Doctor. McCoy had them all over his jumper and as the handle for his umbrella. As I previously mentioned, The Doctor hinted to Davros that he was more than just a time lord. It was in fact McCoy's tenure that was supposed to run with the whole "Who is the doctor *really*?" sort of thing. Bearing in mind the Doctor's calling card also bears a question mark and lots of these symbols:

At the Prydonian Academy on Gallifrey his nickname was Theta Sigma, as stated in both The Armageddon Factor and The Happiness Patrol, but it would seem he adopted his new name before he graduated. His old teacher, Borusa, and his guru K'Anpo both refer to the Doctor by that name, so why does he use the title?

The most common and recognised use for the title of 'doctor' is in the field of medicine. However in 100,000 BC, Marco Polo, The Krotons and The Seeds of Doom, he clearly says he is not a doctor of medicine, and in The Rescue he confesses he does not have a medical degree. It is true that he has some background in medical science and surgical techniques, but this knowledge must be limited. The First Doctor's denials are, on the other hand, at odds with the Second Doctor's claim in The Moonbase to have earned his medical degree in Glasgow, 1888! In The Ark in Space he declares that his doctorate was purely honorary, which doesn't help matters!

In The Armageddon Factor, Drax congratulates him for receiving his 'doctorate'; it would appear from Drax's comments that the Doctor received his degree at some point after 'the class of '92', and since Drax only knows of him as 'Thete' and not 'the Doctor', then the Doctor must have stated calling himself this after his time with Drax. It is possible that during one of his many visits to Earth whilst training to be a Time Lord, the Doctor stayed with Joseph Lister in Glasgow, 1888. When he returned to Gallifrey, his fellow pupils gave him a new nickname as a joke - the Doctor.

In The Mysterious Planet, the Doctor lets slip that he does consider 'Doctor' to be more than just his name when he says he will write a thesis called 'Ancient Life on Ravolox, by Doctor...', but he is interrupted at this point!

Of course, the title 'Doctor' can also apply to one who has qualifications in law, music, politics, philosophy or science. All of those subjects seem to be embraced by the Doctor. In The Aztecs he says he is a scientist and an engineer, while in The Daleks he claims to be a pioneer amongst his own people. During the Third Doctor's era, when asked what he was a doctor of, it was not uncommon for him to reply 'practically everything'! There are other meanings in the dictionary for the word 'doctor'. One particular usage is as a verb - to doctor, meaning to tamper with, to meddle.

Now, who does that sound like to you...?

M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

head explodes after trying to read that. lol.
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Methos

well if people want to know, i will share the knowledge :)

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Methos

any more Doctor questions before i crash for the night?

M

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Darkchild
    Methos said:
    "any more Doctor questions before i crash for the night?

M
    "
    yes.

Again whats his name?

LMAO
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Methos
    Darkchild said:
    Again whats his name? 

SLAP

M
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darkchild
    Methos said:
    "Darkchild said:
    Again whats his name? 

SLAP

M
    "
    Ow? yeah a skinny man slap is gonna do a whole lot to me

(why do i feel something horrible coming)
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Methos
    starts plotting DC's downfall for tomorrow...

then remembers all he has to do is withhold Dr Who and Torchwood information and DC will come begging back...

M

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Darkchild
    Methos said:
    "starts plotting DC's downfall for tomorrow...

then remembers all he has to do is withhold Dr Who and Torchwood information and DC will come begging back...

M

"
    see now thats just not nice
    Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#19  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    Methos said:

Maybe not his "full" name, but I'm sure we could fit whatever name River whispered in his ear. That didn't seem very long.
    Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Elixir95
    Buckshot said:
    "Methos said:

Maybe not his "full" name, but I'm sure we could fit whatever name River whispered in his ear. That didn't seem very long.
    "
    I know.  I'm still quite peed at them for not telling us who she is, because obviously the Doctor figured out or thought he knew who she was.
    frogman55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By frogman55

Don't know, but his real name is Theta.

lionel hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lionel hunter

the reason why is called doctor who is because he only reply's the doctor .someones first thought would be doctor who?

Alpha Guard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alpha Guard
    Methos said:
    "

For the people asking me what his real name is...

The Doctor's real name is actually a string of Mathematical and Greek symbols. Theta-Sigma would be a shortening of his full name, just as Romana is merely a shortening. In "Tooth and Claw" the Doctor identifies himself as "Dr. James McCrimmon" which, as most of us know, is Jamie from the 2nd Doctor. He also uses John Smith quite often. Madame de Pompudor from "Girl in the Fireplace" reads the Doctors mind and says something like, "your name is more than a secret".

The Doctor has referred to himself as being "more than just a timelord" during Sylvestor McCoy's tenure. It has been suggested in the novels that the Doctor actually is in his THIRD set of regenerations, and was originally known as "The Other" and was the third in the group of Rassilon and Omega.

Doctor Who?
    Doctor Who?
    The question marks were on Tom Bakers collar from "The Leisure Hive" onwards, and they subsequently apeared in the same place on the 5th and 6th Doctor. McCoy had them all over his jumper and as the handle for his umbrella. As I previously mentioned, The Doctor hinted to Davros that he was more than just a time lord. It was in fact McCoy's tenure that was supposed to run with the whole "Who is the doctor *really*?" sort of thing. Bearing in mind the Doctor's calling card also bears a question mark and lots of these symbols:

At the Prydonian Academy on Gallifrey his nickname was Theta Sigma, as stated in both The Armageddon Factor and The Happiness Patrol, but it would seem he adopted his new name before he graduated. His old teacher, Borusa, and his guru K'Anpo both refer to the Doctor by that name, so why does he use the title?

The most common and recognised use for the title of 'doctor' is in the field of medicine. However in 100,000 BC, Marco Polo, The Krotons and The Seeds of Doom, he clearly says he is not a doctor of medicine, and in The Rescue he confesses he does not have a medical degree. It is true that he has some background in medical science and surgical techniques, but this knowledge must be limited. The First Doctor's denials are, on the other hand, at odds with the Second Doctor's claim in The Moonbase to have earned his medical degree in Glasgow, 1888! In The Ark in Space he declares that his doctorate was purely honorary, which doesn't help matters!

In The Armageddon Factor, Drax congratulates him for receiving his 'doctorate'; it would appear from Drax's comments that the Doctor received his degree at some point after 'the class of '92', and since Drax only knows of him as 'Thete' and not 'the Doctor', then the Doctor must have stated calling himself this after his time with Drax. It is possible that during one of his many visits to Earth whilst training to be a Time Lord, the Doctor stayed with Joseph Lister in Glasgow, 1888. When he returned to Gallifrey, his fellow pupils gave him a new nickname as a joke - the Doctor.

In The Mysterious Planet, the Doctor lets slip that he does consider 'Doctor' to be more than just his name when he says he will write a thesis called 'Ancient Life on Ravolox, by Doctor...', but he is interrupted at this point!

Of course, the title 'Doctor' can also apply to one who has qualifications in law, music, politics, philosophy or science. All of those subjects seem to be embraced by the Doctor. In The Aztecs he says he is a scientist and an engineer, while in The Daleks he claims to be a pioneer amongst his own people. During the Third Doctor's era, when asked what he was a doctor of, it was not uncommon for him to reply 'practically everything'! There are other meanings in the dictionary for the word 'doctor'. One particular usage is as a verb - to doctor, meaning to tamper with, to meddle.

Now, who does that sound like to you...?

M

"
    Doesn't even bother trying to read and understand it
    Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Elixir95
    frogman55 said:
    "Don't know, but his real name is Theta."
    Actually that's a nickname.  I think...
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Methos
    frogman55 said:

*buzz*

I'm sorry, the correct answer was "His nickname was Theta"

as i explained in my long post :D

M
    frogman55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By frogman55
    Methos said:
    "frogman55 said:

*buzz*

I'm sorry, the correct answer was "His nickname was Theta"

as i explained in my long post :D

M
    "

No Theta-Sigma Lungbarrow IS his full real name read Divided Loyalties there is a flash back where he tells Koschei (the master) of for calling him Theta. I also know the Masters real name is Koschei, the Ranis is Ushas, The Meddling Monks is Mortimus and the War Cheifs is Magnus. 
    the Book where the doctors full name is revaled
    the Book where the doctors full name is revaled

Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Elixir95

Methos?  Is his real name Theta?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Methos

No...

I've read Divided Loyalties and while Theta Sigma is mentioned several times as his nickname, it was never said it was his true name... the biggest point of this being his teachers still call him "The Doctor" but never Theta....

Theta Sigma was a nickname for The Doctor during his days at the Academy, this was first shown in the Tom Baker The Armageddon Factor (Season 16)... The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) also referred to this nickname in The Happiness Patrol(Season 25) in which he clearly stated "I am The Doctor, and i do not wish to be known by that nickname any more"

also, if his last name was anything it would be "Lungbarrow" as that was his house on Gallifrey that he was loombed into... as stated several times...

The Doctor was woven by the loom in the house of Lungburrow, located in the southern mountains of Gallifrey. He remembered being in the loom. His first memory after being woven was of his 44 cousins laughing at him because of his bellybutton. Cousin Satthrolope consequently smacked him very hard. This belly-button earned him the nicknames wormhole and snail.

(According to Lungbarrow pages 5-6 / Prologue pages 10-12.)

and if you don't have that book, you can always double check my facts using the BBC e-book site...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ebooks/lungbarrow/index.shtml

Also, just to back up my premise further...

The Doctor's name is 38-syllables long. It's stated quite clearly in "Fathers, Friends and Other Objects of Hate"

Reviews and other details for "Fathers, Friends and Other Objects of Hate"  can be found on Outpost Gallifrey

http://www.gallifreyone.com/review.php?id=fan-mp

M
    Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Elixir95
    Methos said:
    "No...

I've read Divided Loyalties and while Theta Sigma is mentioned several times as his nickname, it was never said it was his true name... the biggest point of this being his teachers still call him "The Doctor" but never Theta....

Theta Sigma was a nickname for The Doctor during his days at the Academy, this was first shown in the Tom Baker The Armageddon Factor (Season 16)... The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) also referred to this nickname in The Happiness Patrol(Season 25) in which he clearly stated "I am The Doctor, and i do not wish to be known by that nickname any more"

also, if his last name was anything it would be "Lungbarrow" as that was his house on Gallifrey that he was loombed into... as stated several times...

The Doctor was woven by the loom in the house of Lungburrow, located in the southern mountains of Gallifrey. He remembered being in the loom. His first memory after being woven was of his 44 cousins laughing at him because of his bellybutton. Cousin Satthrolope consequently smacked him very hard. This belly-button earned him the nicknames wormhole and snail.

and if you don't have that book, you can always double check my facts using the BBC e-book site...

The Doctor's name is 38-syllables long. It's stated quite clearly in "Fathers, Friends and Other Objects of Hate"

Reviews and other details for "Fathers, Friends and Other Objects of Hate"  can be found on Outpost Gallifrey

M
    "

Said it was a nickname.  If it was his name too I'm pretty sure they would have said it a loud to in "Forest of the Dead".
    frogman55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By frogman55
    Methos said:
    "No...

M
    "

John Natan Turner confirmered Theta-Sigma Lungbarrow was his name as it was planned to be reaveled in the Classic Series but it was cancled, it was never mentioned in the TV series, ever!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Doctors real nickname is John Smith 
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Methos

Theta Sigma was mentioned several times in the TV series...

Lungbarrow and the Loomb stuff has never been talked about on the TV series, only in the books...

and saying one author states Theta Sigma Lungbarrow was his name is useless as it has to be okayed by several people before any changes are made to The Doctor's direct history as the original writer Sydney Newman wrote a full biography for the character that is used as "LAW" to any new writers on the project... on that biography it states firmly that The Doctor's true name is never to be revealed to the audience...

M

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.