Why do people like Doctor Who?

• 136 results
#102 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

it is very trippy. It is like a silver age comic combine with puppets that are like peewee playhouse added with plot twist that are the best of M Night Shymalan and Tall Tales and more into this Cathlhu chimaria doing a metronome.

It delivers a good surprise that sometime has something into its wonderland of mayhem. Inspector Spacetime is where Dr Who got its inspiration. Well that is another thing I should watch.

#103 Posted by ComicStooge (12429 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingofash:

would you say that you understand why people would genuinely like the show?

@comicstooge said:

You're not alone. I'm not a fan either.

finally, someone with whom I can relate. hoiw much of the show have you watched?

5-6 episodes, it was a marathon.

#104 Posted by KingOfAsh (3573 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatguywithheadphones: The Silence for one, the Stingrays another, the Master in season 3 (I heard he returned but I didn't see that one)

#105 Posted by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

I might give it a watch.

#106 Edited by Ellie_Knightfall (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm over it, tbh

#107 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@innersuperman said:

@teerack: then you talk down upon anybody who disagrees with you and treat their opinion and ideas like a joke. well who the hell are you to talk down to anybody at least i respect what you have to say. people like you make me really mad!

Don't derail this guys thread....

naw, I'm pretty much fine with tha sort of argument going on, I mean, that's kinda one of the big points of this thing

#108 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the strongest verses in all of fiction, and teh dalekz

#109 Posted by jwalser3 (4842 posts) - - Show Bio

I seriously don't get why anyone would like that show, I mean, I guess it has a lot more presence with gender/sexual minorities, which is cool. but I don't really understand how the show entertains anyone, I mean, people are like, seriously obsessed with this show, and I don't know if I've ever seen an episode any more than just good.

why do so many people like this show so much? what aspects are appealing?

Why do people like Comics??

#110 Posted by superdum2 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never able to get into myself, although I have many friends who are crazy about it.

#111 Posted by Teerack (5739 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: "one of the big points of this thing" o.o this thread is suddenly about me?...

:D

@teerack: are you really that arrogant have some damn decency.

You're the only one acting indecent and attacking me hours later about a total non-issue. Literally all my post said was that different people like different thinks, and that the show has been around long enough for it to make sense for the show to generate a huge fanbase. I made that post because the OP basically said he didn't understand why the show was popular. The fact you think I said that anyone who doesn't agree with me is uninformed is 100% projection on your part. For the record I'm not a Whovian, but I've seen enough of the show that I can understand why people like it. I did assume he didn't watch enough of the show because honestly the show is huge and most people that don't like the show haven't really seen enough of it to really judge the whole show. He claimed he watched a lot of it and I didn't say "You must be lying." I just explained why the fanbase would be so big.

That aside the condescending tone in my other post was a reaction to your post, or are you completely unaware of the kind of tone people usually say "Don't make me laugh."

I think you're being a hypocrite and I think you're being foolish.

#112 Posted by Xaos (335 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched some episodes with David Tennant, in french sub, and while I'm not an utterly fan, I must admit that the show got some quality of his own : the Doctor is a quite different character than TV feed us. He's immortal, but don't essort so much of violence.

The storyline are smart, truly SF wise, this isn't Space Opera as defined by Pratchett : "Fantasy with mechanical device.", no it's truly thinking SF.

Sure, the episode lack the filming finition of most of the US show got today, but it has humor, and quite smart idea, high spirit and lightly tone that lack many other SF show. ("Yes, Battlestar Galactica, I look at you.").

#113 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16617 posts) - - Show Bio

The show doesn't have any awesome effects and stuff, it can be boring, cheesy, and downright annoying at times. But it has it's plus points, it can make you think, make you emotional few times, and above all, there's the doctor. Not only the character is hilarious, when he becomes serious, he can be more impressive than almost all the character I've seen, with notable few as exceptions. Even the most powerful villains look like trash cans doesn't make him scaring the hell out of them any less awesome. And they have very interesting things, like weeping angles and silence and midnight entity. They never fail to keep you intrigued if you're watching the episodes in order.

#114 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@xaos said:

I watched some episodes with David Tennant, in french sub, and while I'm not an utterly fan, I must admit that the show got some quality of his own : the Doctor is a quite different character than TV feed us. He's immortal, but don't essort so much of violence.

The storyline are smart, truly SF wise, this isn't Space Opera as defined by Pratchett : "Fantasy with mechanical device.", no it's truly thinking SF.

Sure, the episode lack the filming finition of most of the US show got today, but it has humor, and quite smart idea, high spirit and lightly tone that lack many other SF show. ("Yes, Battlestar Galactica, I look at you.").

what?

#115 Edited by The Stegman (23785 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel about Doctor Who the same way I feel about Star Trek(the show, not the movies), some episodes can be really good, but for the most part it's boring and loses my attention. However, I will give DW one more shot, I've rented seasons 4-current (I've already seen the first three series) and will give it one more go.

#116 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#117 Edited by The Stegman (23785 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Next Generation (a very good chunk of it), Enterprise (the entire series when I was younger) and very few episodes of Voyager

#118 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman:

ah, man, you I get not liking Next Gen, I I will say that Voy and Ent were both pretty bad

you should try watching some Deep Space Nine or some of the Original Series

#119 Posted by The Stegman (23785 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: I feel like (with maybe an exception of the first series) that can the others really be THAT different from one another? is Deep Space really /that/ much better than Next Gen?? Because honestly most of the series that I have watched just bored me, give me a laser battle, give me some action, not just the crew standing around talking to one another, that's partially why I love the new Star Trek movies, they blend the perfect amount of action with character development.

#120 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman:

Ds9 haand TOs have some episodes like that

"Bread and Circuses", "the way of the Warrior", and "The Siege of AR-558" come to mind

#121 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: No that's not what your post said not at all re read it then come tell me that you were only saying everybody thinks differently. Ah i did not mean to blow up like that but you seemed like a complete tool sorry.

#122 Posted by King Saturn (223985 posts) - - Show Bio

It really depends on the episode... there was a lot of good material during the David Tennant run when he was The Doctor as well as that guy before him... Matt Smith is okay...

#123 Posted by Xaos (335 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1:

Yeah, sorry, English isn't my first language !

By that, I meaned that I was impressed by the amount of thinking I've seen in the show. It play smartly with their scientifical premise, (Be it fictionnal or real). It's a thing that I've not seen so often in other SF show.

#124 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@xaos said:

@betatesthighlander1:

Yeah, sorry, English isn't my first language !

By that, I meaned that I was impressed by the amount of thinking I've seen in the show. It play smartly with their scientifical premise, (Be it fictionnal or real). It's a thing that I've not seen so often in other SF show.

really? most of the "science" in that show seems much more contrived than the magic in most fantasy (IMO)

#125 Edited by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it. It makes me laugh. I honestly prefer Matt Smith to David Tennant as well.

#126 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16617 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly prefer Matt Smith to David Tennant as well.

oh my God.. don't worry, I'll pray for your soul.

#127 Edited by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideslash said:

Pfft.

I personally prefer every Doctor I've seen to the Tenth.

#128 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16617 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1 said:

@sideslash said:

Pfft.

I personally prefer every Doctor I've seen to the Tenth.

Ah.. then I wouldn't bother praying. Waste of time, nothing can save you now :p

#129 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10874 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated the 10th(for the most part) he was completely the opposite of how the Doctor should act...he was far too human and whiny.

#130 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6097 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows

#131 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#132 Edited by Pwok21 (2253 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm British, so it isn't really a choice.
I was brought up on the Pertwee and Baker years so I've been watching it since before the reboot.
I am a massive fan though.

#133 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@pwok21:

what about those 15-ish years where there was no DW?

#134 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I've tried getting into the show but it never happens. It seems like every episode is dropping me in the middle of a story with characters from the universe that I'm supposed to already know and it never gets me interested.

#136 Posted by Pwok21 (2253 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1:

I'm a late nineties kid, so I've been watching the re-runs and VHS tapes my Dad had.

#137 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@pwok21:

yeah! the late nineties!

what was your favorite show in that mysticcal era?

#138 Posted by Pwok21 (2253 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1:

Probably Stargate, as despite how phenomenally slow it was I love mythology and aliens so that whole series was the best thing ever for me.

#139 Edited by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

It's charming borderline cheesy fun. That's why I like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.