Why do people like Doctor Who?

• 136 results
#1 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

I seriously don't get why anyone would like that show, I mean, I guess it has a lot more presence with gender/sexual minorities, which is cool. but I don't really understand how the show entertains anyone, I mean, people are like, seriously obsessed with this show, and I don't know if I've ever seen an episode any more than just good.

why do so many people like this show so much? what aspects are appealing?

#2 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it, it's great fun

#3 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Different people like different things. I personally never watched it and never plan on, so I'm indifferent.

#4 Posted by russellmania77 (15383 posts) - - Show Bio

idk i just watched it for the first time the other day, it was the tenth doctor, idk if it was the alcohol or not but the villain looked very ridiculous

#5 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7853 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't.

#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never watched the show and I am not interested in watching it.

#7 Edited by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

what part of the show are you guys talking about?

were we watching the same thing?

#9 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

@guttridgeb said:

Lol! That's fine if you don't like it. I just personally find the show fun. Everyone has a different opinion.

#10 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22302 posts) - - Show Bio

You may call me a heretic... But I never saw a single episode in my life. I never got around in watching it :\

#11 Posted by The_Tree (7480 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a fun series with interesting characters and lore. It's also got heart and a sense of humor.

#12 Posted by The Stegman (24424 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally find it boring and cheesy at times, I keep trying to get into it but I just can't.

#13 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1 said:
@samimista said:

@guttridgeb said:

Lol! That's fine if you don't like it. I just personally find the show fun. Everyone has a different opinion.

I just don't understand what aspect of the series you find appealing?

I mean, I've watched a few episodes, and I don't unserstand what's so appealing to anyone

@the_tree said:

It's a fun series with interesting characters and lore. It's also got heart and a sense of humor.

"fun" okay

interesting characters? like who?

the series doesn't really have enough continuity to have "lore"

"sense of humo"..okay

#14 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Well personally for me I never really liked the 9th Doctor so I couldn't get into that. He came across more as a biker type to me? I just love the whole time traveling part and how the show created it's own planets and even species. I actually really don't watch TV except for a few shows but being a fan of fantasy and sci-fi I just love Doctor Who. I'm not too big into classic Who but for that I like the 3rd and 4th Doctor. Don't like how Moffat always kills off Rory though. That gets old easily.

#15 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

creating planets and species are pretty much standard for Space/Sci-fi series

third and fourth doctors? would you suggest those to someone who hates the first couple of episodes of the 2005 reboot?

#16 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Well, that depends. You say first couple of seasons do you mean you saw the 9th and 10th Doctor? Don't know if I'd recommend the 3rd Doctor right away but the 4th had the longest run and can be quite the hoot (in a good way). I personally started out with the 11th Doctor since I began watching it when he started out. Really just depends on taste though I'd say. There are people who can't get into the series.

#17 Posted by russellmania77 (15383 posts) - - Show Bio

the fans really do make it sound more awesome than it is, like saying he fought and beat the devil, but just thinking about the episodes i watched, its prolly them talking alot with cheap special effects

#18 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

I've seen a little bit of the third (I've seen a bit of the third, and he actually seems pretty cool for a Doctor)

the Fourth Doctor I'm not so sure about (My experience tells me to steer away from anything a DW fan quantifies with "in a good way")

#19 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Ha ha! xD That's fine. If you're interested in the Third Doctor I'd check him out though.~

#20 Edited by The_Tree (7480 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1:

The Doctor, The Master, Captain Jack Harkness, Rose Tyler, River Song, Rory & Amy. The list goes on.

Lore as in background history with things such as the Time War, Galifreyans, the Doctor's past, etc. You also can't expect a show to go on as long as Doctor Who has without continuity errors here and there, especially a show dealing with travel through time and space.

And if you're not a fan of the humor, you're not a fan of the humor. I personally think the show can be quite hilarious.

#21 Posted by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

Where are all my Who-ligans at?

#22 Edited by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork said:

#23 Edited by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork said:

LOL :P

I always thought it was the best name for the entire fanbase.

#24 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork: Lol! It really is catchy. xD

#25 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree:

The Doctor never came off as all that interesting

wait, Amy? how is Amy anything resembling "interesting" (she's an average British girl, wants adventure, not very much more)

Star Trek has existed almost as long and manages to keep some kind of continuity pretty much the whole time (when they break it, there's always an in-universe explanation)

I'm a fan of humor

Red Dwarf was a fantastic show, so is Venture Brothers, Batman:The Brave and the Bold, because those were actually funny Doctor Who is just a bunch of bad special effects justified through forced gags, nothing in the show ever really comes off as that funny.

#26 Posted by The_Tree (7480 posts) - - Show Bio

*Sigh*

There's no point in trying to have a discussion with you.

#27 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

*Sigh*

There's no point in trying to have a discussion with you.

I just don't understand why that show has such a huge following, what am I not seeing?

#28 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11098 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Well, that depends. You say first couple of seasons do you mean you saw the 9th and 10th Doctor? Don't know if I'd recommend the 3rd Doctor right away but the 4th had the longest run and can be quite the hoot (in a good way). I personally started out with the 11th Doctor since I began watching it when he started out. Really just depends on taste though I'd say. There are people who can't get into the series.

Wait, there's more than one? I thought it was just about some guy who uses a phone-booth to travel back in time and... I don't know, perform surgery on people, or something.

#30 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11098 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: 11 there are 11 doctors it has been on TV for 50 years

#31 Edited by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

why do people like american idol, or the simpsons. Its a matter of taste, its not for everyone.

#32 Posted by Referee (7612 posts) - - Show Bio

He's been around for 50 years, he must be doing something right!

#33 Posted by russellmania77 (15383 posts) - - Show Bio

@referee said:

i challenge that

#34 Posted by Referee (7612 posts) - - Show Bio

@referee said:

i challenge that

I have no need in getting into a discussion of whether the show is good or not, It is rare opinions are changed when one has a rooted one.

I got no beef with you and I respect you choice! Keep it cool! :)

#35 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay well I have been watching the series since the 9th Doctors series and that was really good,I liked it,the same with the majority of the 10th Doctors.As the latest series since the 11th one has stepped the show has quickly gone down hill.The plot is not as consistent anymore,it even goes out of its way to be inconsistent,the plots aren't as good or as heavy anymore.It felt more grown up too,there was a sense of death,the other day I watched the Evolution of The Daleks again,and there was this real sense of death.New series has little to non of that. The cast used to be more likable too,the person who played could not act for toffee,she was boring,and I really did not give a rats ass about her story.

Newest series eh still the same,they had the Ice Warrior in the other week,a villain I saw in the older series which since then I have wanted to see again,but it really was a let down.(I have been wanting to get all this of my chest for a while now,it has been too long) So yeah you may well be watching another show I certainly feel like I am,I keep watching every week,hell it will be on tonight,because I want it to be good.But I doubt it will get any better.

As for why it has remained so popular? Well I think there are alot of reasons for that.Why has Star Trek remained popular? That is something I have never got into,but there are probably a variety of reasons.When it did first come out there was nothing really like that on the TV, it has got a following which helps something carry on,so Id say it just initially managed to capture peoples interests and for good reason.

Go back and give the 10th a try. (both of you) ----

#36 Posted by charlieboy (7160 posts) - - Show Bio

The series is fun, has fantastic characters, has great intelligent stories, and I like the fact the hero wins without throwing a single punch. It is often very funny. A lot of people don't get the British sense of humor. I love Amy, Rory, Donna, Rose, Jack and a lot of the others over the years. Clara is proving to be interesting.

#37 Edited by russellmania77 (15383 posts) - - Show Bio

@referee said:

@russellmania77 said:

@referee said:

i challenge that

I have no need in getting into a discussion of whether the show is good or not, It is rare opinions are changed when one has a rooted one.

I got no beef with you and I respect you choice! Keep it cool! :)

cool like the other side of the pillow

#38 Posted by Andromeda (658 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been getting so disillusioned with Moffat's writing lately.

#39 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Lmao! xD You're not that far off actually lol. The Doctor experienced regenerations whenever a new actor goes onboard.

@mrdecepticonleader:

Lol! I never said I didn't watch the 10th's run. He's one of my favorite Doctors. I just started out with the 11th.

#40 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Lmao! xD You're not that far off actually lol. The Doctor experienced regenerations whenever a new actor goes onboard.

@mrdecepticonleader:

Lol! I never said I didn't watch the 10th's run. He's one of my favorite Doctors. I just started out with the 11th.

Oh right I see

#41 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: I was going to recommend Tennant's run since his shows the human side of the Doctor but the topic creator didn't exactly answered to whether or not he gave the 10th Doctor a try.

#42 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you even Doctor Who ?

#43 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: I was going to recommend Tennant's run since his shows the human side of the Doctor but the topic creator didn't exactly answered to whether or not he gave the 10th Doctor a try.

Yeah its the best run in my opinion,enjoyed the 9th alot too.

#44 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

Tennant recently stated he would like to play Mr. Fantastic. Even though I'm not a fan of Reed I'd absolutely love to see that casting. 0.0 Especially since Tennant could make him more likeable. He's gonna be returning for Doctor Who actually with Billie Piper. Just for an episode I'm guessing but unsure.

#45 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@samimista said:

Tennant recently stated he would like to play Mr. Fantastic. Even though I'm not a fan of Reed I'd absolutely love to see that casting. 0.0 Especially since Tennant could make him more likeable. He's gonna be returning for Doctor Who actually with Billie Piper. Just for an episode I'm guessing but unsure.

Really? Mr Fantastic? Interesting .He is a good actor so I think he could pull it off.

Didn't know that either,or I think I did hear he was going to make an appearance,most likely just a cameo or maybe a flashback (?)

#46 Edited by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

@samimista said:

Really? Mr Fantastic? Interesting .He is a good actor so I think he could pull it off.

Didn't know that either,or I think I did hear he was going to make an appearance,most likely just a cameo or maybe a flashback (?)

I can't find the original link but there's a lot of articles on it. However, the headlines are very misleading since they say he's already starring as Mr. Fantastic. http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a470687/doctor-who-david-tennant-i-could-star-in-fantastic-four-movie.html Here's one close to the original article I saw.

For the episode I think...We'll be seeing David as the clone he left with Rose before he regenerated.

Could be wrong on that though but just a guess since Matt Smith will still be there.

Didn't know you were a Whovian as well. =O

#47 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

@samimista said:

I can't find the original link but there's a lot of articles on it. However, the headlines are very misleading since they say he's already starring as Mr. Fantastic. http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a470687/doctor-who-david-tennant-i-could-star-in-fantastic-four-movie.html Here's one close to the original article I saw.

For the episode I think...We'll be seeing David as the clone he left with Rose before he regenerated.

Could be wrong on that though but just a guess since Matt Smith will still be there.

Didn't know you were a Whovian as well. =O

Hmm interesting,hope they give us a better Fantastic Four film this time around.

Oh I forgot about that,yeah you are probably right.

Well I do like Dr Who but the latest series is I am really not liking,I watch it every week but I might just give up on in it.

#48 Posted by Andromeda (658 posts) - - Show Bio

I still haven't gotten over the loss of the Ponds.

#49 Posted by JediXMan (30627 posts) - - Show Bio

Epic-ness.

'Least that's why I started watching it.

#50 Posted by JediXMan (30627 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.