Follow

The Doctor

Character » The Doctor appears in 2191 issues.

A super-intelligent alien Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, the Doctor travels throughout time and space, adventuring and righting wrongs with his/her companions.

The 'Nearly, But Not Quite' Doctors

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

The Doctor isn't the only one who can take a trip back in time!  As well as documents about Regeneration & selecting Companions, the BBC Archive has also released galleries.   

These three galleries feature the actors before they were famous for being The Doctor, publicity shots of when they first joined the show, and... actors who were being considered for the roll of The Doctor!  

Before The Were Time Lords

The Prime Of Minerva McGonagall & The Doctor
    The Prime Of Minerva McGonagall & The Doctor
    Believe it or not, actors did have careers before they landed the role as The Doctor.  As actors, many of them were known on stage & screen in other parts that may not be known by newer fans. 

There are some fantastic pictures and captions.  Along with a very young Patrick Toughton, my favourite has to be Tom Baker (the Dourth Doctor) with Maggie Smith (better known to today's viewers as Harry Potter's Professor McGonagall) in George Bernard Shaw's The Millionariess.   

If you want, you can refrlect on Before They Were Time Lords...

Welcome To The TARDIS

It seems that  it's never easy being a new Doctor.  Ever since the first regeneration, there has been negative reactions from viewers.  Patrick Troughton (the Second Doctor) was described as a "half-witted clown" and compared to the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.  While Colin Baker (the Sixth Doctor) was labelled as "too aggressive", and Sylvester McCoy's Seventh Doctor was just as disliked.... but not as much as his Companion Mel (better known as Bonnie Langford). 

So Matt Smith isn't the first to be Welcome(d) To The TARDIS...  

Nearly Who

But what about the actors who nearly got the part?  Those who were nearly The Doctor?  After all, with 11 different actors, there must have been 11 different rounds of casting.  They must have gone through a LOT of actors before they had picked their favourites. 

Some names that stood out for me were:    

• Fulton Mackay  - He was set to be the Fourth Doctor, but was signed on for the first series of Porridge instead.
    • Mark McGann   - Coming from a big acting family, the Eighth Doctor Paul McGann wasn't the only one in the McGann clan who auditioned for the 1996 TV movie.
    • Richard Griffiths   - Harry Potter's Uncle Dursley, and slain citizen of Sleepy Hollow.  He was favourite to be The Doctor TWICE!  Originally set to be the Fifth Doctor (which ultimately went to Peter Davison), he was later slated to follow Sylvester McCoy as the Eighth Doctor until the series was cancelled.

If you're interested, you can see who else was Nearly Who...
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

LMAO You linked me to your thread XD 

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Constantine

cool stuff

Kamen Rider Kajiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The title made me think it was about characters like the Doctor (Doctor Omega, Rowan Aktison`s Doctor, Dr. Who from Doctor who and the Daleks)

Still a very interesting read :)

and I liked the 7nth Doctor he`s underrated IMO lol Dourth Doctor

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I keep looking that that picture but i still can't see it being Tom Baker

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.