Dr.Who

#1 Posted by EriksBlue (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anybody know what his real name is.

#2 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope...

I can name 7 Time Lords / Ladies real names, but not The Doctor's...

I can give you exact dates for his 'creation' on Gallifrey and what type of TARDIS he controls, i can give you the names of his granddaughter and every regeneration cycle he's been through... but i can't give you his name....

M

#3 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

When even Methos does'nt know the answer to a Doc Who question, The world shall fall

#4 Edited by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

fine...

here's the long answer...

For the people asking me what his real name is...

The Doctor's real name is actually a string of Mathematical and Greek symbols. Theta-Sigma would be a shortening of his full name, just as Romana is merely a shortening. In "Tooth and Claw" the Doctor identifies himself as "Dr. James McCrimmon" which, as most of us know, is Jamie from the 2nd Doctor. He also uses John Smith quite often. Madame de Pompudor from "Girl in the Fireplace" reads the Doctors mind and says something like, "your name is more than a secret".

The Doctor has referred to himself as being "more than just a timelord" during Sylvestor McCoy's tenure. It has been suggested in the novels that the Doctor actually is in his THIRD set of regenerations, and was originally known as "The Other" and was the third in the group of Rassilon and Omega.

Doctor Who?
The question marks were on Tom Bakers collar from "The Leisure Hive" onwards, and they subsequently apeared in the same place on the 5th and 6th Doctor. McCoy had them all over his jumper and as the handle for his umbrella. As I previously mentioned, The Doctor hinted to Davros that he was more than just a time lord. It was in fact McCoy's tenure that was supposed to run with the whole "Who is the doctor *really*?" sort of thing. Bearing in mind the Doctor's calling card also bears a question mark and lots of these symbols:

At the Prydonian Academy on Gallifrey his nickname was Theta Sigma, as stated in both The Armageddon Factor and The Happiness Patrol, but it would seem he adopted his new name before he graduated. His old teacher, Borusa, and his guru K'Anpo both refer to the Doctor by that name, so why does he use the title?

The most common and recognised use for the title of 'doctor' is in the field of medicine. However in 100,000 BC, Marco Polo, The Krotons and The Seeds of Doom, he clearly says he is not a doctor of medicine, and in The Rescue he confesses he does not have a medical degree. It is true that he has some background in medical science and surgical techniques, but this knowledge must be limited. The First Doctor's denials are, on the other hand, at odds with the Second Doctor's claim in The Moonbase to have earned his medical degree in Glasgow, 1888! In The Ark in Space he declares that his doctorate was purely honorary, which doesn't help matters!

In The Armageddon Factor, Drax congratulates him for receiving his 'doctorate'; it would appear from Drax's comments that the Doctor received his degree at some point after 'the class of '92', and since Drax only knows of him as 'Thete' and not 'the Doctor', then the Doctor must have stated calling himself this after his time with Drax. It is possible that during one of his many visits to Earth whilst training to be a Time Lord, the Doctor stayed with Joseph Lister in Glasgow, 1888. When he returned to Gallifrey, his fellow pupils gave him a new nickname as a joke - the Doctor.

In The Mysterious Planet, the Doctor lets slip that he does consider 'Doctor' to be more than just his name when he says he will write a thesis called 'Ancient Life on Ravolox, by Doctor...', but he is interrupted at this point!

Of course, the title 'Doctor' can also apply to one who has qualifications in law, music, politics, philosophy or science. All of those subjects seem to be embraced by the Doctor. In The Aztecs he says he is a scientist and an engineer, while in The Daleks he claims to be a pioneer amongst his own people. During the Third Doctor's era, when asked what he was a doctor of, it was not uncommon for him to reply 'practically everything'!

There are other meanings in the dictionary for the word 'doctor'. One particular usage is as a verb - to doctor, meaning to tamper with, to meddle.

Now, who does that sound like to you...?

M

#5 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"When even Methos does'nt know the answer to a Doc Who question, The world shall fall"
It may already have D:
#6 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
The Doctor has referred to himself as being "more than just a timelord" during Sylvestor McCoy's tenure. It has been suggested in the novels that the Doctor actually is in his THIRD set of regenerations, and was originally known as "The Other" and was the third in the group of Rassilon and Omega."

Also it's just occured to me that people might not get the significance of this paragraph without a little back story...

Time Lords have 13 Regenerations, currently The Doctor is on his 9th Regeneration (Making him the 10th Doctor, i'll ignore 10.5 for this answer as it complecates things way too much)...

where was i... oh yes, regenerations...

right, after 13 Regenerations that's time up for the Time Lords... or it's supposed to be anyway...

it was hinted during the Sylvestor McCoy years and in the subsequent books that The Doctor is actually The Other from Gallifreyan legend (Gallifrey being The Doctor's home planet)...

Now, this complecates things even further as that would make Doctor 10 (Current David Tennant Doctor) on his 36th Regeneration... way more than any normal Time Lord...

this would also explain his age, and before anyone states "He's only 903. it says in the TV show"... he's been 900 for the past few Regenerations, not including the traveling or anything else... he's ancient, truly ancient...

So now we have a Time Lord going by the names of The Doctor and The Other... this is explained a bit using the Loomb theory (Read the Dr Who page for information on Loombs), but in all probability The Doctor is one of the most powerful Gallifreyans that ever lived...

his name holds some dark and terrible secret for Gallifrey and the future of the universe... though how Doctor Song found it out we will probbaly never know...

M
#7 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

ok, so hands up, who did i confuse?

M

#8 Posted by King Saturn (222845 posts) - - Show Bio
Yeah. I cant recall ever hearing an actual name of one of the Doctors
#9 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
EriksBlue said:
"Does anybody know what his real name is."

i'm guessing that was a satisfactory answer then as you haven't been back to ask anything else

M
#10 Posted by Constantine (16044 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats the chance that we find out his namee in a year or two?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.