Follow

The Doctor

Character » The Doctor appears in 2191 issues.

A super-intelligent alien Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, the Doctor travels throughout time and space, adventuring and righting wrongs with his/her companions.

Doctor Who to Film in America for the First Time

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
     11th Doctor
    11th Doctor
    Sure, the Doctor has been to America in previous episodes, but the show has never filmed on location before, until now. BBC recently announced that Doctor who will begin filming on location in Utah mid-November. The scenes filmed in the States will be in a two-part episode.

" Production on episodes one and two of the new season starts in Cardiff this month and Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill will then travel to America in mid November to shoot pivotal scenes. They will also be joined by Alex Kingston  who reprises her role as River Song."

It seems that River will be an even bigger part of this season. Steven Moffat, who currently runs and writes the show, is also very excited over the Doctor visiting America, and he thinks American audiences will be as well: "The  Doctor has visited every weird and wonderful planet you can imagine, so he was bound get round to America eventually!  And of course every  Doctor  Who fan will be jumping up and down and saying he’s been in America before.  But not for real, not on location - and not with a story like this one!" 

It's true. Although, over the decades the show has been on the air, the Doctor and crew have visited America many times; however, the show was never actually shot on location. The Doctor Who crew will be traveling to Utah to film the episode which takes place during the 1960s in an adventure that starts in Utah, but ends up in the Oval Office. 

Executive Producer of the show, and Head of Drama BBC Wales, Piers Wenger seems positive about this upcoming season and its episodes: "Steven's scripts generally inspire us to go that extra mile - this time we're going that extra four thousand. Thanks to our friends at BBC AMERICA and to the continuing ambition of our lead writer and production team, the first two episodes of Matt Smith's second season as the  Doctor are going global and look set to become DoctorWho's most action-packed and ambitious season opener yet."

Season 5 was a great deal of fun, and it looks as though this season will definitely raise the bar. Last season will be available on DVD & Blu-ray on November 9th. And if you're still clamoring for more of the Doctor, The Coventry Telegraph recently reported that Matt Smith will appear as the Doctor in two episodes on The Sarah Jane Adventures on CBBC, October 25 & 26. (BBC 1 on October 27 and 28) The episodes will team up former Doctor companions Sarah Jane and Jo Grant for the first time, as The Doctor is declared dead and the two women must solve the mystery surrounding them. This story is written by ex-Doctor Who writer Russel T Davies.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jordama

How have they never filmed here?
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jordama: The TARDIS never had enough gas to cross the Atlantic?
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I do not watch doctor who but I still think that is cool  

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By LT1085
    @haydenclaireheroes said:

" I do not watch doctor who but I still think that is cool   "

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @jordama said:
    " How have they never filmed here? "
    P.S. I'm not sure if the Paul McGann movie filmed here, but I refuse to accept that it exists.
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By welshguy

I always assumed that the BBC was too tight with its cash to consider filming in the states. i mean, why do that when you can use a disused quarry in the british countryside? 
    Its also likely to garner more interest in the brand over the pond. Hopefully it will work

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! 
    Doctor Who in America!! Yes!! Finally!!!!
    (Who knew the TARDIS could cross the pond.)
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @welshguy said:
    " I always assumed that the BBC was too tight with its cash to consider filming in the states. i mean, why do that when you can use a disused quarry in the british countryside? Its also likely to garner more interest in the brand over the pond. Hopefully it will work "
    I wonder how many times they've used that quarry as an alien planet? My guess is around 30 times
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Jotham

Dang it. I read that as River TAM, not River Song. That would be the best crossover ever.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @inferiorego said:
    " @jordama said:
    P.S. I'm not sure if the Paul McGann movie filmed here, but I refuse to accept that it exists. "
    I'm pretty sure it was...  

If it didn't exist, then how can Tennant be the Tenth Doctor? :p
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    " @jordama said:
    P.S. I'm not sure if the Paul McGann movie filmed here, but I refuse to accept that it exists. "
    I'm pretty sure it was...   If it didn't exist, then how can Tennant be the Tenth Doctor? :p "
    Again, i refuse to believe it exists.
    Kamen Rider Kajiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@xerox-kitty said:

" @inferiorego said:

" @jordama said:
    I'm pretty sure it was...   If it didn't exist, then how can Tennant be the Tenth Doctor? :p "

Rowan's Doctor? lol
    -Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By -Vigil-

Whoo, it's coming to my state! *prepares to infiltrate set*    

Deih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deih
    @jordama:  Because the BBC probably never saw a need to fly the entire Doctor Who crew to American soil or they didn't have the cash.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By jordama

Wow, I got @ by everyone. 

It just seems like they would have had to come to the states at one point or another. But then again I can only think of one episode in recent years to officially take place in America, the Doctor and Martha in the 20's episode. They turned Americans into pigs, wonder if there was a hidden message in that? This just seems like one of those "facts" that people wouldn't question and just assume someone else did the fact checking on.
    DarthStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By DarthStorm

Sweet! nice to have Doctor Who over here for once.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.