Doctor Who comic!

#1 Posted by G-Man (30625 posts) - - Show Bio

So has everyone heard that IDW is putting out a Doctor Who comic?

From their press release:

"Doctor Who: comics based on the newest iteration of the long-running BBC television show (now airing in the U.S. on the Sci Fi Network), as well as newly colored reprints of classic Doctor Who comics, featuring art by comics industry legend Dave Gibbons, will begin at the end of 2007. The creative team for the new comics will be Gary Russell, a Doctor Who TV show story editor, and artist Nick Roche."

Good for us in the states. I enjoyed the Marvel UK ones that came out in the 80s.

Staff
#2 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, and nice icon dealie.

#3 Posted by Ms. Invisible (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

Starts singing the Doctor Who theme song

I'm keeping my eye on this one.

#4 Posted by G-Man (30625 posts) - - Show Bio

Staff
#5 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

bounce bounce bounce deep awesomeness!!!

#6 Posted by Aquavenger (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Any idea when it's coming out?

#7 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dr Who comic has been out for ages... it's just been given a overhaul lately :D

M

#8 Posted by Aquavenger (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I've never known it was out. Guess they don't have it in my comic shop, that or their hiding it in the back.

#9 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

it was on hold for a while... then it was put in the back of the "Dr Who" magazine for a few years...

M

#10 Posted by Aquavenger (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Now they have a magazine! What else did I miss?

#11 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

lol... if you're in the UK then you have tons of Dr Who stuff...

M

#12 Posted by Aquavenger (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I live on Long Island. So no luck there.

#13 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

ah, sorry... the magazine was primarily UK, but the comic was headed by Marvel... it starts and stops sporadically for quite a few years...

hopefully it will stay around this time

M

#14 Posted by Aquavenger (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still gonna try looking for it, you never know.

#15 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

good luck :D

M

#16 Posted by G-Man (30625 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquavenger says:

"Any idea when it's coming out?"

IDW has just said 2007/2008. At the San Diego con they announced a bunch of stuff they're planning on putting out (including Speed Racer). You can rest assure that when the Doctor Who comic from them gets nearer, I will be making a big deal about it here.

Staff
#17 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Aquavenger says:
"Any idea when it's coming out?"

IDW has just said 2007/2008. At the San Diego con they announced a bunch of stuff they're planning on putting out (including Speed Racer). You can rest assure that when the Doctor Who comic from them gets nearer, I will be making a big deal about it here."

lol, same here :D

M

#18 Posted by G-Man (30625 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what I like about IDW and even Dynamite Entertainment. They'll basically admit that they may not be "strong" enough to create a universe of their own. I like what they do with their licensed stuff. Like the Terminator 2: Infinity comic from Dynamite, I'm enjoying them.

Staff
#19 Posted by zaltabor (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually those Tom Baker comics are from the Doctor Who Magazine.

Originally Marvel UK actually owned the Doctor Who magazine and all those Tom Baker comics appeared in it. The difference though is that when they were released as comics in America they coloured them in as they were originally in black and white. They have actually reprinted all of the Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Paul McGann comic strips as graphic novels.

All of Tom's, Peter's and some of Paul McGann's being in their original black and white format whereas the newer Paul McGann ones towards the end of his comic strip run were always in colour so they have printed them that way as they originally were.

Panini now actually own the Dr Who mag and have done so since 1995 when they took over the Marvel UK license.

Those old comics are extremely old now and long out of print. There were 23 issues and not every single story was reprinted although it is nice to see them in colour. If you want to get them all I highly recommend getting the graphic novels. Tom has two, Peter only has one and Paul McGann has four.

If you live in the UK, Play has them and so does Amazon. In fact quite a few local shops sell them (WH Smith being one) thanks to the success of the new series. Outside of the UK you could try Amazon.com as they might have them for sale or e-bay if you don't mind auction sites. The graphic novels are as follows:

TOM BAKER:

Doctor Who: The Iron Legion

Doctor Who: Dragon's Claw

PETER DAVISON:

Doctor Who: The Tides of Time

PAUL McGANN:

Doctor Who The Complete Eighth Doctor Comic Strips Volume One: End Game

Doctor Who The Complete Eighth Doctor Comic Strips Volume Two: The Glorious Dead

Doctor Who The Complete Eighth Doctor Comic Strips Volume Three: Oblivion

Doctor Who The Complete Eighth Doctor Comic Strips Volume Four: The Flood

Only Oblivion and The Flood are in colour. The rest are in black and white. For some reason Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy's strips have been skipped. There could be copyright problems with McCoy's stories but I don't know why Colin's hasn't come out yet. Hopefully they both will come out sometime as both Doctors have some good comic strips.

The Doctor Who Magazine is also extremely old. It started in 1979 and as far as I'm aware has never gone on hiatus. For this reason there are a lot of comic strips in them as they have always been a regular in the magazine. In fact some of the older Doctors (William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee) also got the odd comic strip as well though they usually focused on whatever was the current Doctor at the time of the Magazine.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.