Follow

The Darkness

Concept » The Darkness appears in 153 issues.

In the Top Cow Universe, The Darkness is a source of power that grants the wielder the ability to generate anything they desire.

Best The Darkness?

TheGreatFedora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGreatFedora

So I've been playing through The Darkness video game and have been really digging it, which has led me to want to read the comic.  It's a pretty long series though, and I imagine some of it is meh.  Are there any runs that are particularly good?  Is there anything I should avoid?  Where's a good place to start?

topcowbryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By topcowbryan

Hey there Great Fedora, there are THREE runs in particular that I think you will find of interest.  The first issues of The Darkness still hold up as some of the best material out there.  The Darkness: Origins Vol.1 trade collects the initial Marc Silvestri/ Garth Ennis run.  It has a more humorous element to it as a complement to the violence -- ie. the wise-cracking Darklings -- which you might not expect and find yourself really diggin' if you're only used to the video game.  Next up, I'd pick up The Darkness: Accursed Vol.1 trade paperback.  If you don't want to retread any story matter that the game covered (albeit in a different way) then this is your book!  It begins with Jackie, who has just fled from New York to South America, set up as a drug kingpin after a chemical engineer helps him develop the Darkness into a highly addictive drug.  The Paul Jenkins/Dale Keown run -- The Darkness Vol.4: Ressurection trade paperback -- is most similar to the all-out revenge tale of the game, and stands alone as a great read on its own merit.  All of these are in print and available at your better comic stores.  They're also for sale at thetopcowstore.com.  Best yet, this coming May 7th, Top Cow is offering The Darkness II: Confessions single issue as their Free Comic Book Day offering!

TheGreatFedora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheGreatFedora

Cool, thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.