Follow

The Dark Knight

Movie » The Dark Knight released on July 18, 2008.

A year after the events of Batman Begins, a new era begins for Batman, as he settles in as Gotham's Caped Crusader, a new threat reveals itself, The Joker, a Clown Prince of Crime raiding banks in Gotham. The Batman must join forces with Commissioner Gordon and Harvey Dent to bring the Joker down before anyone suffers from the his plans. But they are not ready for what the Joker has in store for The People of Gotham. The movie serves as the second part of The Dark Knight Trilogy.

Who else thinks Lau is the Calculator?

SIngli6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By SIngli6

The title of this blog sums up the nature of it, quite frankly. Let's see some arguments 'for' and 'against'.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#1  Edited By RavenVice01

Actually I can see that but you know it would have been easier for Nolan if he had just stuck with having Noah Kuttler as Calculator instead of Lau and say he has Russian dignitaries in his pocket who refuse to extradite him. I know my friend Icarusfiles would love to comment on this.  
    Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Nah. I doubt it. I agree with Vice, that Calculator would probably be working with the Russians, not the Chinese if he appeared in the movies. Lau's probably more like the paranoid schizophrenic Thomas Shift (sp?), a character who seems familiar but is actually new.

I can certainly see WHY Lau could be thought of as the Calculator, but there are a few differences that might be enough to disprove this:

1) He was much more interested in money management than technology…and conducted a fair amount of his business in person, something the Calculator would never do.

2) He was easily fooled by Lucius Fox's phone gambit..again, Calculator is a master of technology.

3) He seemed to have very little to do with any criminals outside of the small mafia racket: he had not heard of the Joker, and was not mentioned in regards to the League of Assassins. Calculator's main job in the DCU is an information broker to OTHER VILLAINS. Yes, Lau was trying to scam Bruce Wayne, but that's really more a mobster thing. Calculator would just drain his bank account.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@Edamame: Yeah, him!

I'm not saying he was, but that was how he was identified in the movie and since my spelling was atrocious I thought that might be the best way to et people to know who I was talking about.

SIngli6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SIngli6

@Icarusflies: Those are some very valid points, but I still believe the character is at least a very loose inspiration for Lau.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.