The debate about the end of Nolan's Batman series is over.

Posted by RavenVice01 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure alot of Nolan fans have been wondering about the future of Batman and have called me a hater because I have viewed Nolan's vision of Batman as narrow but after watching the prologue for Dark Knight Rises which is set eight years after the Dark Knight movie...my mouth just dropped. Eight years the Batman has been out of commission. Are you f%$@#ing kidding me. How realistic must Batman be to have his name, his legend, his lore butchered. Batman should always remain present in Gotham even if the people despise him. I mean what Gordon said at the end of Dark Knight rang true for Batman's determination to save Gotham. Yet Nolan contradicts this by setting the new movie eight years later. This will perhaps be the last Batman film where Bane and Batman will kill each other. I mean Batman has put off killing villains for quite awhile and if Nolan is going to change everything we know about Batman then Batman might as well get his hands dirty. I suppose the only thing the Nolan fans can look forward to is Nolan or some other director making three films that chronicle the eight years that Gotham has been deprived of a Batman. Perhaps Batman Incorporated will be hinted but it won't be widely publicized as Bruce Wayne did in the comics. The future of Nolan's Batman looks bleak and fleeting in my eyes. I saw potential after Batman Begins but now I only look forward to a new Batman saga as well as a Justice League movie and a Batman Beyond series. I understand Nolan fans may hate me for criticizing Nolan's Batman but I only ask for one concession: If they make a new Batman saga and it is just as good as Nolan's or even better. Please don't enter or leave the theaters with high expectations because if you cling to one narrow vision then your judgment will be clouded and ironically you will be either the haters or the converted who do not wish to be hated.

#1 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

the only thing i can say is just see the movie first. here is an example I was pissed when i heard that Ledger was the Joker, I was sure that the movie was shit. they would kill the Joker and Batman in one stroke. I was dead wrong. The Dark Knight was not just the movie I wanted as a Batman fan but also a a film buff. I have shown people that movie who had little intrest if not out right dislike for Batman or superhero films.They loved it. I was wrong because i judged a movie with nothing more then trailers and plot summary. as to your point on another batman movie saga. point 1. it will not happen for a little bit. 2.it gone be a hell of a writer and film maker who makes it. Because whatever it flaws (not saying there are or are not any) the Nolan Films are spectaular works of film making. whatever you think, the fact is Nolan took Batman seriously and made fine films, yes everything is not the same as the comics but is that a bad thing? no one ever ask that question. I don't know.

#2 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't understand why you hate Nolan's Batman? He took his inspiration directly from the comics and set Gotham in a real world. What more can you want? To be perfectly honest, after the horrific debacle that was the previous Batman films (and I'm talking all of them), Nolan's Batman was a godsend.

#3 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7737 posts) - - Show Bio

........Nolan's Batman sucks.

Ha. On a serious note, IMO they are highly overrated. Not bad films, not bad Batman films, but they aren't technically good. I don't really like them. And that's my opinion. I'm not sayin Nolan is a bad film maker, because his other movies are great. Just as a Batman movie, they aren't that great.

Like what you want, do what you want, but Nolan fanboys are starting to piss me off. They could have Batman wearing an entirely different costume and have a Russian accent, and be chinese. And Nolan fanboys will still worship the ground he walks.

#4 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84678 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Nolan's Batman. Second only to Kevin C's Bats.

#5 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved the dark knight, batman begins was meh and this third istallment looks good but to behonest i think nolan could have done better

#6 Edited by cattlebattle (12697 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

........Nolan's Batman sucks.

Ha. On a serious note, IMO they are highly overrated. Not bad films, not bad Batman films, but they aren't technically good. I don't really like them. And that's my opinion. I'm not sayin Nolan is a bad film maker, because his other movies are great. Just as a Batman movie, they aren't that great.

Like what you want, do what you want, but Nolan fanboys are starting to piss me off. They could have Batman wearing an entirely different costume and have a Russian accent, and be chinese. And Nolan fanboys will still worship the ground he walks.

This is  how I feel for the most part

The Nolan films are almost like "Crime thrillers featuring Batman" more so than a legit, straight Batman film. I don't know...its just not "my Batman" so to speak.

I for one, actually prefer Begins over Dark Knight. I would never say they're bad movies...not at all, they are very well done and entertaining. As stated before, I feel they over rated by he Batman faithful, and the general population and Nolan fanboys of course
#7 Posted by The Stegman (23969 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the first one 

i like the second one 

and i will most likely like the third one 

i could jump on the Nolan hate bandwagon (ever popular thing has a hate bandwagon) 

but i choose not to 

NOLAN FANBOY FOR LIFE

#8 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Nolan Batman films but I really don't understand the whole "realism" thing. Those films are not realistic at all. The microwave weapon in the first movie is as ridiculous as Mr. Freeze's freeze gun. The logistics of the Joker's plan in Dark Knight was just insane. It's like he had the combined intellect of Clock King, Calculator, Prometheus, and Riddler.

#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

You like Batman Beyond, enough said. 

#10 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

The Nolan Batman films are very enjoyable movies. Not necessarily great comic book movies, but very good movies in their own right, in my opinion. I think Christian Bale makes a very good Bruce Wayne (less so as Batman, but again, just my opinion)

I'm not gonna lie, I would not have known, after seeing that trailer, that Tom Hardy was supposed to be Bane if that wasn't already revealed earlier.

#11 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

You like Batman Beyond, enough said.

Lmao, that's hilarious.

Anywho, I'm still not sure how good the last film is going to be yet, but I do think that the first two films were excellent. (Except for one scene in The Dark Knight where Joker throws Rachel out of the window, and then it never shows where the Joker goes. I doubt Batman wouldn't run back up there to try to find him, and this drives me nuts!) Also, the eight year gap you complain about it the least bit of my worries. Nolan set this up with a good reasoning behind it. Things had just escalated too much with Batman being around. Plus, we're still not sure what happens in between the eight year period. Like the other article that was written speculating what happened, 10 New Details Revealed in "The Dark Knight Rises" Trailer and Prologue, He could've been captured, and imprisoned this entire time. (I doubt that though.) Anyway, I'm done. lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.