Follow

The Dark Knight Rises

Movie » The Dark Knight Rises released on July 20, 2012.

Taking place eight years after The Dark Knight, Bruce Wayne has given up on being Batman, overwhelmed with grief for his lost love. But when a terrorist named Bane overwhelms Gotham City's Police, The Dark Knight must rise one more time to defeat this new menace.

The Dark Knight Rises Review.

Kunu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Kunu

The Dark Knight Rises is Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated conclusion to his unique take on the Batman universe. Being a large fan of the comics, I didn't have high hopes for it. I felt too many liberties looked like they were being taken with the character and backstory of Bane, and I wasn't looking forward to seeing Catwoman at all, considering the fact that I can't stand the character or Anne Hathaway. I always thought that Nolan was limiting himself by having his Batman universe be so realistic, as certain villains were then unable to be used (Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Man-Bat, etc.) I didn't enjoy Batman Begins very much, but I did love The Dark Knight. (I will say, however, that I felt people praised it a bit more than it deserved just because of Heath Ledger's tragic death. And I felt Two-Face's character became a lot less interesting because of the decision to drop the multiple personality disorder I've grown fond of in the comics.)

His jacket is also quite lovely.
    His jacket is also quite lovely.

But this film kicked ass. Let me just say that I'm glad the rumor's about the Riddler being the villain weren't true (he's my favorite Batman villain, but Johnny Depp or Leonardo DiCaprio were rumored to play him and I would have hated either men in the role.) Bane's new costume looks way better in action than I thought it would, and thank the lord, because Catwoman's role is kept minimal. (Trust me, her character is just as bland and uninteresting on the screen as she is on the page.) Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Michael Caine really stole the movie, however. Sir Michael Caine nearly had me tearing up at certain points. The fight scenes are another thing that stood out. They were some of the most well choreographed fight scenes I've seen in a long, long while. The animosity of Bane is so beautifully portrayed, one can't help but wish they were as badass. As with any movie, though, there are some things I would've changed.

(MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW)

I loved that they stayed true to the comics in some parts. I was smiling like a lunatic when the film recreated the famous Breaking of the Bat. I was also relieved that Talia came in to thwart the previous allegation that Bane was the son of Ra's Al Ghul. It was a nice thing to do, as it really threw a bone to the real fans of the comics. Average moviegoers might find it an absurd plot twist, though.

I also wish that Joseph Gordon Levitt's character would've ended up becoming Azrael, as that is the character that originally took up the mantle of the Bat after Bane broke his back. Azrael was also a member of the Gotham City Police Department beforehand as well. The fact that they had his legal name be "Robin" felt a little ridiculous to me, but I suppose using any of the actual names from the comics would've spoiled the surprise at the end. But Joseph Gordon-Levitt was phenomenal.

I also am disappointed that Black Mask didn't make the cameo I heard he was rumored to make, as I kept waiting for it the whole film. But again, I think that was for the best, as it would've given Catwoman more to do, and I would not have enjoyed that very much. A certain Jonathan Crane makes a cameo that almost more than made up for the absence of Sionis, though.

As for the ending, I wished they had just let Bruce Wayne die. Honestly, it's the last of the trilogy, you don't need to keep the main character alive, and you really made me think you had some balls by having him sacrifice himself. Of course, that wouldn't have sat well with a lot of others. And I'm also not sure that Catwoman and Batman should have been together at the end. They're relationship has always been kind of rocky.

But the decisions that were made were made, and I want more. It's really bittersweet. Each film in the Dark Knight trilogy improved upon the others, and even though trying to do a sequel or spinoff would most likely just fail miserably, I can't deny that I'd pay money to go see either one. Batman and Robin together in that dark, gritty universe would be awesome, as would a Nightwing spinoff.

Pictured: Not as good as anybody thought it would be.
    Pictured: Not as good as anybody thought it would be.

All in all… what a movie. I am pleasantly surprised. And I sure as hell deserve to be after how much of a letdown the new Spidey was.

linloshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By linloshi

Levi's (Levi's) launch of the spring and summer 2011 Levi's Roadwear "Dazzling Blue printed century men's jeans series, to pay tribute to the manual production of jeans Levi (Levi's) launch of the 2011 spring and summer of Levi's Roadwear "Dazzling Blue printed century" <a href="http://www.levis501dk.com/">levis 501</a>

men's jeans series, the series of irregular and manual sense as the main design concept, to create a natural casual sense. The selection of a tough stretch high denim fabric at the same time bring together details of the design with personality, different cats should be <a href="http://www.levisjeansuk.com/">levis jeans ukeans.com/"</a>

crease and washing effect to create a varied style of fashion. Levi (Levi's) was founded so far, has been followed from the adventures of the American cowboy culture. 2011 spring and summer launch of the Levi's Roadwear "Dazzling Blue printed century <a href="http://www.leviscommuterjeans>levis commuter jeans</a>

men's jeans series, aimed at the call of the new generation the courage to explore life, breaking the self. To tie in with this activity, Levi (Levi's) invited the brand spokesperson Shawn and Denise wearing Levi's Roadwear "Dazzling Blue and India Millennium" <a href="http://www.jeanlevis501.com/">levis 501 jeans</a>

series clothing, recording their breakthrough journey. Related content starting from March 4, can browse in on Levi's Roadwear Official Website www.levi.com.cn of like the report of the faithful do not miss.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.