Follow

The Dark Knight Rises

Movie » The Dark Knight Rises released on July 20, 2012.

Taking place eight years after The Dark Knight, Bruce Wayne has given up on being Batman, overwhelmed with grief for his lost love. But when a terrorist named Bane overwhelms Gotham City's Police, The Dark Knight must rise one more time to defeat this new menace.

The Dark Knight Rises official movie discussion thread

Avatar image for amalgamuniverse
    amalgamuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By amalgamuniverse

Just saw the first showing of Batman and it was amazing! What are other thoughts?

TwistedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TwistedGamer

I have a lot of mixed feelings about it over all, but it was a solid conclusion tho...

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

Saw it last night, it was pretty good. It suffers from some serious pace issues and it's nowhere near The Dark Knight, among a few other comic book movies around. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is surprisingly the best and most underused element of The Dark Knight Rises while Bane turns out to be the low point of the movie. Not a bad villain, but he's lacking development and motive. Bane's voice is distracting at times, it lacks the intimidating or menacing sound it should have, and you flat out can't really understand him in certain scenes. The last 45 minutes of the film is pretty much complete gold but the build-up to that is really slow but I loved the first interaction between Batman and Bane. Around the halfway point I was wondering if I came to see The Dark Knight Rises or Officer Blake Rises, but Joseph Gordon Levitt was very good in his role and I didn't think it was a big problem. Bale still has the batvoice and it's still off-putting, though not as much as in The Dark Knight. The big twist near the end was good but it kind of just cements how uninteresting Bane is in this movie. Overall it's pretty predictable and a good way to end the trilogy but it's not really anything special.

Another thing, they try so hard to make these movies realistic and grounded and preach on that, but you can count several things left and right happening that makes you wonder why Nolan never just went all out and made it like the comics instead of trying to keep things real but stray from that when he wanted. There are also plenty of plot holes, and the biggest one is pretty obvious when it happens.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ComicStooge

It surpassed any and all expectations I had. It blew the previous 2 movies (and any other Batman film) out of the water!

TERMINATOR1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TERMINATOR1000

I still aint seen it yet, but I probably will tonight.

Avatar image for eatmore_payless
    eatmore_payless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eatmore_payless

@Uncanny_Doom said:

Saw it last night, it was pretty good. It suffers from some serious pace issues and it's nowhere near The Dark Knight, among a few other comic book movies around. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is surprisingly the best and most underused element of The Dark Knight Rises while Bane turns out to be the low point of the movie. Not a bad villain, but he's lacking development and motive. Bane's voice is distracting at times, it lacks the intimidating or menacing sound it should have, and you flat out can't really understand him in certain scenes. The last 45 minutes of the film is pretty much complete gold but the build-up to that is really slow but I loved the first interaction between Batman and Bane. Around the halfway point I was wondering if I came to see The Dark Knight Rises or Officer Blake Rises, but Joseph Gordon Levitt was very good in his role and I didn't think it was a big problem. Bale still has the batvoice and it's still off-putting, though not as much as in The Dark Knight. The big twist near the end was good but it kind of just cements how uninteresting Bane is in this movie. Overall it's pretty predictable and a good way to end the trilogy but it's not really anything special.

Another thing, they try so hard to make these movies realistic and grounded and preach on that, but you can count several things left and right happening that makes you wonder why Nolan never just went all out and made it like the comics instead of trying to keep things real but stray from that when he wanted. There are also plenty of plot holes, and the biggest one is pretty obvious when it happens.

thats what makes the TDKR and any other batman movies directed by Nolan, more interesting than other Comic book base movies.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

@eatmore_payless said:

@Uncanny_Doom said:

thats what makes the TDKR and any other batman movies directed by Nolan, more interesting than other Comic book base movies.

It would, if they actually were realistic, but they're not. Particularly in this movie, they tried to be much more comic like but it feels out of place because they tried preaching realism like it was a good thing here but all it makes for is inconsistency.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Jedted

Anne Hathaway is my new favorite Catwoman! Just getting that out of the way. :)

I wish there was more butt-kicking scenes with her instead of that long batpod scene. I think Hathaway pulls of the subtly sexy Selina Kyle beautifully, i REALLY want Nolan to do a Catwoman movie now.

About the "Officer Blake Rises" thing:

Is he meant to become the new Robin/Nightwing? When that woman calls him "Robin" i immediately thought spin-off.
    stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stumpy49er

@uncanny_doom: I agree with everything you said. Although I'm confused by what you mean is the biggest plot hole?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I like how they took Bane's comicbook origin and gave it to Talia while still allowing Bane to have been in the Pit to begin with. Giving Ras the lone Merc who fell in love backstory was badass as well.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Mucklefluga

THE BEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ComicStooge

How was Bane uninteresting? He was freaking awesome!

spectre108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spectre108

@ComicStooge said:

It surpassed any and all expectations I had. It blew the previous 2 movies (and any other Batman film) out of the water!

I agree completely.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ComicStooge

@Spectre108 said:

@ComicStooge said:

I agree completely.

You have great taste, my friend.

I gotta say, it's the greatest movie I've ever seen.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rumble Man

• Love bane with all my heart in the movie and he is a redeeming feature (voice was cute at times, and he makes the flow of the story exciting)
    • Hate bale batman to death in the movie because the character was a b!tch (whining, angsting character who deserved nothing)
    • Mixed feelings, ending felt kinda forced and left theaters with anger because of a whole lot of inconsistencies

7/10 simply because of ending and other reason which may spoil...

movie is still good though

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By JSH92

This is my favorite of all the Batman films. I even like Nolan's Bane more than Nolan's Joker, but there might be some personal bias involved in that, considering Bane is my favorite Batman villain. I thought it was absolutely great!

Avatar image for amalgamuniverse
    amalgamuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By amalgamuniverse

@Mucklefluga said:

THE BEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Amen

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

@stumpy49er said:

@uncanny_doom: I agree with everything you said. Although I'm confused by what you mean is the biggest plot hole?

There's no explanation behind Bruce getting back to Gotham.

spectre108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By spectre108

@ComicStooge said:

@Spectre108 said:

@ComicStooge said:

I agree completely.

You have great taste, my friend.

I gotta say, it's the greatest movie I've ever seen.

I'd probably say the same, because, frankly, I don't watch very many movies.

benjoe11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By benjoe11

I loved Hathaway in this movie. She did a fantastic job as catwoman and I also really liked her costume. The fact that she wasnt running around with cat ears and that they were goggles with a practical use I found interesting. The one think that made me flinch a tad was the John Blake character. Loved him as a police officer with a true sense of justice. I just didnt like a character being made up to be robin. The movie as a whole is fantastic though.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ComicStooge

@benjoe11 said:

I loved Hathaway in this movie. She did a fantastic job as catwoman and I also really liked her costume. The fact that she wasnt running around with cat ears and that they were goggles with a practical use I found interesting. The one think that made me flinch a tad was the John Blake character. Loved him as a police officer with a true sense of justice. I just didnt like a character being made up to be robin. The movie as a whole is fantastic though.

I thought that part (blacked out) was really cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.