Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Join Dark Knight Rises' Cast

• 134 results
Posted by No_name_here (330 posts) - - Show Bio
 This seemed like the most appropriate photo of the guy.

Nice. Deadline says Joseph Gordon-Levitt is angling to join the cast of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, although no role has been specified yet. I’ve enjoyed this guy since his days 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN and have been impressed with pretty much every part he’s taken since BRICK in ’05. He’s a criminally-underrated actor and his involvement in this gets me even more excited about this third BATMAN flick than I even thought I could be. JGL, of course, would be another company player returning to work with Christopher Nolan after INCEPTION (the others being Michael Caine and Tom Hardy,) where his stand-out zero G fight really stole the show.

As mentioned, the role hasn’t been specified yet. There was a rumor for a while that he might actually take over the role of the Joker, given his striking resemblance to his old 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU co-star. However, Nolan’s said empathetically that there will be no Joker this time ‘round, and I think he’s also quashed the Riddler’s inclusion too (which was another role this guy was rumored for.) His casting seems like more evidence for my hope/theory that THE DARK KNIGHT RISES will have more villains in addition to Bane and Catwoman. == TEASER ==

Could he playing Hugo Strange, after all? Maybe he’ll play a heavily re-tooled Harvey Bullock or one of the super-cops I speculated about? Hell, he did already play a supervillain in G.I. JOEso the possibilities in the rogue’s gallery are truly wide open. What do you Comic Vine maniacs think?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

#1 Edited by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by the_fallen11 (635 posts) - - Show Bio

wow! cannot wait!

#3 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19640 posts) - - Show Bio

Really!!?

#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Possibly Black Mask, a young Ra's, Hugo Strange or a cop. I'm hoping for one of the first two.

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio

Awww HELL YEAH! 

@FadeToBlackBolt: I don't really see him as Black Mask and Ra's was already done. I think Hugo Strange seems most likely. 

#6 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Me too, but I hate Hugo Strange :P 
#7 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

BLACK MASK!!!!!!!!!!!!! They could have Black Mask as a crime boss that hires Bane!!!

#8 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1119 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. I'm actually one of the few people that liked him in G.I Joe. 
And his character in Inception was awesome.

#9 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" I'm betting Hugo Strange. "
He was my first thought....what about Black Mask thought? Would he fit that role? O_o
#10 Posted by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Why?
#11 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
" @Caligula said:
" I'm betting Hugo Strange. "
He was my first thought....what about Black Mask thought? Would he fit that role? O_o "
i added a few more to my list up top. that he may be doing.
#12 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: Mad Hatter or Zeus would be good. Particularly if they followed Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth's lead with how creepy they both were. 

@The Dark Huntress:
He's just never interested me. Batman has such a formidable and unforgettable rogues gallery, and then there's Strange who's biggest deal is that he figured out who Batman was. There's nothing unique about that character.He's like Ra's meets the Riddler minus the awesome, imo.

EDIT: Sorry for all the typos, I'm on an unfamiliar keyboard.
#13 Posted by G-Man (18920 posts) - - Show Bio

It's possible that Hugo was involved in the Venom experiments on Santa Prisca. In Vengeance of Bane the doc sorta looks like him but I don't think there's official mention. 

Staff
#14 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: I agree. I would like it to be Maxie Zeus. A sociopath obsessed with Greek Mythology would be cool.
#15 Posted by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: That would add an interesting twist.  

@FadeToBlackBolt: LOL. Don't worry about it. :P And I agree. 
#16 Posted by Green Skin (2918 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe the Calculator?

#17 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: I concur. I was really disappointed they didn't use Nigma though, tbh. I wanted him to hijack Bruce's sonar tech and Big Brother Gotham, leaving Batman to feel somewhat responsible. Oh well, should still be awesome :D
#18 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Mask!!! With his connection to Selina Kyle I could totally see that angle. I also wouldn't mind him being Hugo Strange, whom I was pulling for along with Black Mask. 

#19 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" It's possible that Hugo was involved in the Venom experiments on Santa Prisca. In Vengeance of Bane the doc sorta looks like him but I don't think there's official mention.  "
I figure that's how they are going to work him into the next Arkham Game. and have an excuse for giant monster dudes like the Titans in the first one.
#20 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Caligula: I concur. I was really disappointed they didn't use Nigma though, tbh. I wanted him to hijack Bruce's sonar tech and Big Brother Gotham, leaving Batman to feel somewhat responsible. Oh well, should still be awesome :D "
I think they should go with Zeus from the Cacophony angle with some kind of drug scheme based on Joker's gas.
#21 Posted by Mrs. Tim Drake (268 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm voting on black mask. they both seem to have the same build 

#22 Posted by Skies327 (229 posts) - - Show Bio

JGL is an amazing actor. Him being in Dark Knight Rises completely ups my excitement to see the movie.

#23 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: I haven't read Cacophony because I'm always hesitant when Kevin Smith is involved lol, but that is a nice idea. He would be a good character to recruit Bane as well. 

"Go, my Hercules, smite those who would dare impede on my Mountain"
#24 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Caligula: I haven't read Cacophony because I'm always hesitant when Kevin Smith is involved lol, but that is a nice idea. He would be a good character to recruit Bane as well.   "Go, my Hercules, smite those who would dare impede on my Mountain" "
Smith does a decent Job with Batman (actually) I was fairly surprised. 

and as for the Bane idea that makes total sense.
#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Caligula: I haven't read Cacophony because I'm always hesitant when Kevin Smith is involved lol, but that is a nice idea. He would be a good character to recruit Bane as well.   "Go, my Hercules, smite those who would dare impede on my Mountain" "
Smith does a decent Job with Batman (actually) I was fairly surprised.   and as for the Bane idea that makes total sense. "
Didn't he write that scene where Bruce urinates in his suit or something? I find it hard to get past that.
#26 Posted by the_fallen11 (635 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I love Joseph Levitt, there if he is to portray another villain. (This is assuming Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle does become Catwoman in the film) I doubt he will have a big role, Nolan would not crowd the film with three baddies (once again assuming Catwoman makes it to the film) it will probably be similar to Tim Booth’s Mr. Zsasz in Batman Begins or Cillian Murphy’s Scarecrow in The Dark Knight, simple nods to batman’s extensive rouge gallery…..that is once again assuming he will even be a villain..

..I’m doing a lot of assuming here lol but oh well, guess everything at this point is speculation If I were to peg him as a villain it would probably be Black Mask, the mob has played such a big role in these films and with Carmine Falcone and Salvatore Maroni out of the picture, I imagine someone has to step up.    

#27 Posted by ImperiousRix (1050 posts) - - Show Bio

He's OBVIOUSLY playing Killer Moth.

#28 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Caligula said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
Smith does a decent Job with Batman (actually) I was fairly surprised.   and as for the Bane idea that makes total sense. "
Didn't he write that scene where Bruce urinates in his suit or something? I find it hard to get past that. "
yes he did lol. For the most part it's good writing though.@the_fallen11 said:
"

As much as I love Joseph Levitt, there if he is to portray another villain. (This is assuming Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle does become Catwoman in the film) I doubt he will have a big role, Nolan would not crowd the film with three baddies (once again assuming Catwoman makes it to the film) it will probably be similar to Tim Booth’s Mr. Zsasz in Batman Begins or Cillian Murphy’s Scarecrow in The Dark Knight, simple nods to batman’s extensive rouge gallery…..that is once again assuming he will even be a villain..

..I’m doing a lot of assuming here lol but oh well, guess everything at this point is speculation If I were to peg him as a villain it would probably be Black Mask, the mob has played such a big role in these films and with Carmine Falcone and Salvatore Maroni out of the picture, I imagine someone has to step up.    

"
the Mob playing a big role. also makes sense for Maxie Zeus being a crimelord and all.
#29 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix: As if, Killer Moth needs his own trilogy, not to be in a lesser known character's film.
#30 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix:  Nice.  I'll say Crazy Quilt.  Or maybe Signal Man.

Seriously though, I would love Black Mask in the mold of Judd Winick's Red Hood Arc.  Otherwise, a retooled Robin, or heck, a replacement Batman if  Bane breaks Bale.  Anything is possible.
#31 Posted by batmanary (790 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" It's possible that Hugo was involved in the Venom experiments on Santa Prisca. In Vengeance of Bane the doc sorta looks like him but I don't think there's official mention.  "
It does make sense, him being the creator of the Monster Men as well.
#32 Posted by cmaprice (818 posts) - - Show Bio

"3 ROCK FROM THE SUN

I lol'd.

#33 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @ImperiousRix: As if, Killer Moth needs his own trilogy, not to be in a lesser known character's film. "
hey i like Killer Moth (seriously) 

he is in my Top 25 Villains list.
#34 Posted by skaarason (680 posts) - - Show Bio

black mask ?

#35 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula:  Heh, he's alright, but not one of my favourites :)
#36 Posted by MysterioMaximus (927 posts) - - Show Bio

...How are people getting "Obviously Hugo Strange," because unless he's EXTREMELY different, that's like casting Eddie Murphy for Riddler. They look about as opposite as possible. 

If I had to venture a guess, I would go...Black Mask. Possibly Mad Hatter.

#37 Posted by the_fallen11 (635 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: Also true, haha I guess I dont find Maxie Zeus to be too interesting :/
#38 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" ...How are people getting "Obviously Hugo Strange," because unless he's EXTREMELY different, that's like casting Eddie Murphy for Riddler. They look about as opposite as possible.   If I had to venture a guess, I would go...Black Mask. Possibly Mad Hatter. "
Heath Ledger didn't fit the Joker role on initial glance either. But, it happened and was awesome. So why couldn't Levitt be Hugo Strange. people are judging by what we know of the film so far not necessarily his look.
#39 Posted by matrix10st (34 posts) - - Show Bio

JGL i actually think if this info is true that he most likely will be playing  black mask o Hugo stange im actually leaning more towards Hugo because of what G-Man said and that he might be making the venom serum and actually controlling banes plans and if its black mask he ight be trying to mass produce the serum to other gangs in the city and giving bane the full amount of serum giving the black mask some insentive to those gangs who would doulbe cross him and or using bane as a pon and keeping the attention off of himself to pull off the major crimes he cant in person.
#40 Posted by Doctorchimp (62 posts) - - Show Bio

ROBIN!!!

Just kidding, I can see him be like a college drop-out who's too radical for America type of Hugo Strange and works with Bane.

Man...jesus fucking christ right when I thought I couldn't get hyped for this movie anymore...what the fuck?

#41 Posted by biggkeem89 (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

What if he was playing Hush? Childhood friend of Bruce Wayne who hires Bane to break both Batman and Bruce Wayne. Heck, he could be blackmailing Selina Kyle(Catwoman) to seduce Bruce, in order to break him down emotionally

#42 Posted by Kid_Zombie (822 posts) - - Show Bio

would love to see him as Hugo Strange! That would be killer!

#43 Posted by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89 said:
" What if he was playing Hush? Childhood friend of Bruce Wayne who hires Bane to break both Batman and Bruce Wayne. Heck, he could be blackmailing Selina Kyle(Catwoman) to seduce Bruce, in order to break him down emotionally "
.........that would be awesome.
#44 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe he wont play Riddler, but Edward Nigma...

#45 Posted by Iireku (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Fingers crossed for a JGL as Dick Grayson cameo.

#46 Posted by RemyLeBeau (411 posts) - - Show Bio

good stuff

#47 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4766 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot comes to mind.

#48 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio

been thinking about this even more. If it's true he will most likely be playing Hugo Strange. being that Strange is rumored to be playing a large role in Batman Arkham City. Then I'm willing to play my hand that it will be Hugo Strange so they can help boost each other's sales. Makes business sense. I mean if someone plays the Game and likes it but is unsure about the film, odds are the game will convince him to see the Movie, and vice-versa.

I will be seeing and playing both regardless as a Batman fan.

#49 Posted by timetostart (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please be Black Mask or Hush

#50 Edited by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Hugo 

Or Dick Grayson.   

I see Dick Grayson being my of a cross of all the robin's and possibly assuming the bat role.   

Although I think it's pretty safe to say that he would probably hugo strange.  After G-Man's video, that Hugo created genetically altered monsters.  It make's made sense with bane's inclusion. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.