Jonathan Nolan May Not Be Done With The DC Universe

• 76 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people disagree on the ending of The Dark Knight Rises, including the creators of the film Christopher Nolan and Jonathan Nolan. You may recognize Jonathan Nolan as the name linked as the writer to many of Christopher Nolan's most memorable films. From Memento, to The Dark Knight Rises; Jonathan Nolan has had a hand in a great many projects. Over the weekend the writer of The Dark Knight Rises sounded off not only about the ending to the film that drew in over $446 million, but also about his desire to tackle another DC property in the future. In an interview with IGN, Jonathan Nolan revealed that the ending is open to interpretation. Whether the ending was all in Alfred's mind, Jonathan Nolan reveals is up to the viewer to decide.

This goes back to a conversation I once had with my brother many years ago when he first took Memento to the Venice Film Festival, we were having dinner with the cast and crew…and…we realized at that moment, repose, relaxed, after a great response from the audience -- we realized that everyone had a different interpretation of what that film meant. And I've long maintained that if you get to that place, that people are passionate and arguing about what the film meant, that's great, and who am I to put my opinion into the mix. To this day I still disagree about the ending of Memento, so…

As far as putting Robin in the film, Nolan explains that he sees the Batman universe as such a "huge and incredible universe," that they wanted to tell not the complete story of Batman, but their complete story of Batman; and that Robin was a great nod to fans of the franchise since Robin was such a big part of Batman's history for over seventy years of continuity.

== TEASER ==

However, now with the Batman trilogy behind them, what's next for Jonathan Nolan (and perhaps even his brother Christopher) as far as Warner Brother properties? Christopher Nolan is one of the producers for the upcoming Man Of Steel, but will the pair tackle another DC property after that one? According to Jonathan Nolan, that is a possibility.

DC has got some properties and I would love to take a crack at it at some point.

DC does indeed have a great many number of properties; and it's rather reassuring to find out that Nolan is interested in possibly working on bringing other DC characters to the big screen in the future. The question remains, which ones? What DC character would you like to see the Nolan brothers tackle and bring to the big screen?

Source: IGN

#1 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm suspecting they're going to go to Jonathan Nolan for Justice League...

#2 Posted by RoboShark (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

100 Bullets.

#3 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

booooorrrriiiinnng.

lets have another director take a crack at a movie with a new character.

Nolans need to do other original projects like Inception, memento etc. where they work best at. TDK trilogoy is one of the most overrated trilogys ever.

and also Johnathon Nolan is an idiot. He said it is up to the viewer to decide if Bruce was alive at the end of the movie. When It is clear that Bruce was alive when they find out that the autopilot worked on the "bat" which means bruce had to have jumped out before the nuke went off.

#4 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

booooorrrriiiinnng.

lets have another director take a crack at a movie with a new character.

Nolans need to do other original projects like Inception, memento etc. where they work best at. TDK trilogoy is one of the most overrated trilogys ever.

and also Johnathon Nolan is an idiot. He said it is up to the viewer to decide if Bruce was alive at the end of the movie. When It is clear that Bruce was alive when they find out that the autopilot worked on the "bat" which means bruce had to have jumped out before the nuke went off.

I think it would have been much more effective if we heard the "Bat" part, and then only saw Alfred's reaction to possibly seeing someone. But yeah, Batman Begins was by far the best "Batman movie", even though the Dark Knight was the best "movie". We still haven't gotten a real Batman movie. Where is the World's Greatest Detective? I've only seen some dude in rubber get duped left and right.

#5 Posted by darth_jones (110 posts) - - Show Bio

I just peed a little.

#6 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

THE FLASH.

#8 Posted by jwalser3 (5001 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmaprice said:

Dogwelder: The Movie.

For the love of god, yes!!!!

#9 Edited by Sleepbutnodream15 (570 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529: Get the Hell outta here.

#10 Posted by zachkastner (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash. Please. PLEASE. FLAAAAASH PLEAAASE

#11 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@jwalser3 said:

@cmaprice said:

Dogwelder: The Movie.

For the love of god, yes!!!!

The IMAX experience.
#12 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sleepbutnodream15 said:

@zackattack529: F*** you.

Flagged.

#13 Posted by GBrutality (192 posts) - - Show Bio

so that part with lucious fox being told that the batwings had the autopilot fixed was not implying anything..?

#14 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan for Justice League I say! Who's with me??

#15 Posted by RoTheKid (253 posts) - - Show Bio

The Flash, perhaps? :) Or how about Aquaman? That would be cool!

#16 Posted by HexThis (899 posts) - - Show Bio

CATWOMAN

A prequel. Doesn't have to involve Batman. One movie is all I need! And any sourpuss who says otherwise is dead in the water as far as arguments go, Anne Hathaway got a presidential endorsement! Ya can't beat that. It's a decree.

#17 Posted by Hybryda (42 posts) - - Show Bio

NOthing? I would like to see some new DC film, but I don't like what Nolad did to Batman, so I don't want that happen to another beloved character :///

@mpierce2690 said:

We still haven't gotten a real Batman movie. Where is the World's Greatest Detective? I've only seen some dude in rubber get duped left and right.

#18 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2244 posts) - - Show Bio

He also made Person of Interest. I'd love to see him do a gritty live action TV Batman show.

#19 Posted by NightFang (10049 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoboShark said:

100 Bullets.

That would be cool.

#20 Posted by longbowhunter (7077 posts) - - Show Bio

The Question or Green Arrow.

#21 Edited by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League!!! I'm begging you, Brothers Nolan. DO the Justice League the movie!! You guys pushed not ONE but TWO of Batman Films into $1 billionth club; if you can do that, imagine with Justice League reaching the $1 billion club!

#22 Posted by JimmyOlsen1 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

I still would love a DC movieverse (like the Marvel movieverse).

#23 Posted by geoff2005 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

anything as long as he doesnt give us anymore stupid its up to viewers type of ending especially for DC movies

#24 Edited by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like a break from the Batman Universe. He should try developing another character. Besides they are rebooting Batman so they shouldn't do another character from a universe that is getting rebooted.

#25 Posted by BlueLanternBeast (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want to see a Captain Marvel movie.

#26 Posted by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Booster Gold!

#27 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

@RoboShark said:

100 Bullets.

That would be cool.

Would work better as a TV show though.
BB

#28 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

The Question please!

#29 Posted by n25philly (96 posts) - - Show Bio

After sitting through the what, 20 hours Rises went on for, without making sense or being all that interesting I'm going to say no thank you.

#30 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole DARK KNIGHT RISES ending being open to interpretation kind of falls apart when you have that scene about the autopilot being fixed. That just reinforces that he survived. Which I'm fine with. The ending was appropriate for the story they had created.

#31 Posted by Lamenoire (193 posts) - - Show Bio

@mpierce2690: what is open to interpretation is "What will Blake do ?". He can either become the new Batman or become Robin/Nightwing.

#32 Posted by Hit_Monkey (887 posts) - - Show Bio

The Question is a great idea for a film or I'd like to see Talon in a tv show with The Court Of Owls as the villains chasing him.

#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33359 posts) - - Show Bio
@RoboShark

100 Bullets.

Oh man
#34 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9055 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing!

#35 Posted by Awesomecris88 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

There won't be a justice league for 15 yrs

#36 Posted by ClintsEvilTwin (76 posts) - - Show Bio

The Spectre please

#37 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lamenoire said:

@mpierce2690: what is open to interpretation is "What will Blake do ?". He can either become the new Batman or become Robin/Nightwing.

I don't think that was open to interpretation at all. He will be the new Batman. The entire movie seemed to be about grooming Blake to become Batman and having him find the Cave was an absolute indication of that. Not sure what that had to do with my comment, but yeah.

#38 Posted by whitelantern64 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

JL or superman/batman combo movie or even hawkman using the whole pharoh story and not thanigarian space cop

#39 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

I could not agree with you more on this.

#40 Posted by QuantomMan (216 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really hoping for these brothers' edge on the Flash

#41 Posted by Bruxae (13831 posts) - - Show Bio

The Flash or Wonder Woman.

#42 Posted by firecracker22 (31 posts) - - Show Bio

I was happy with the ending. I think there's too many hoops to jump through to read the ending as open to interpretation, as it was with Inception.

But, I'm happy it's not open to interpretation. We've gotten 3 damn good films, and this is supposed to be the end of the trilogy. To have it close and leave us with this "what really happened?" question sounds like it would have been incredibly unsatisfying. I think you can pull off that type of "you, the audience, decides" ending works best in a self contained film. When your talking about three films in, the stakes are raised because the investment has been larger.

#43 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

Huntress!!! Although...I'm kinda iffy on how he writes women.

#44 Posted by DeusVult (83 posts) - - Show Bio

A flash movie would be amazing, but maybe they should try a movie about a villain.

#45 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

oh no. not this guy again. how about someone with talent now?

#46 Posted by BritishMonkey (324 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to be Flash

#47 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellblazer Please

#48 Posted by chaos-soul (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

he should do somthing that would involve deathstroke being the primary villain.

#49 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

ANY DC CHARACTER, AS LONG AS THEY WRITE IT! :D

#50 Posted by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he shouldn't be allowed to after the travesty that was the final Batman film. Somebody called Robin, please, is this some sort of joke? There's Tim, Richard or Jason to choose from.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.