John Blake (The Dark Knight Rises) Discussion

#1 Edited by ThatThorFan (951 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight Rises has a character named John Blake in it. Gordon-Levitt is a popular actor and the character he is playing seems to have a small role throughout the film. Once you watch the movie, at the end, there is an ending which totally changes Batman. Wont say what for spoiler reasons. Who do you think John Blake is?

Robin? A new Robin maybe. Or a mixture of Tim, Dick, and Jason. Read the below comments for further details.

Nightwing? John Blake looks like he should be Nightwing instead. Blake isn't a kid and would suit better, in my opinion, as Nightwing.

Catman? Thomas Blake is the original name for Catman... similar to John Blake. It could be his son who proceeds to become Catman. Very unlikely (after seeing the film). Who is to say that Blake wants to be the next Batman? Maybe take on a whole new thing as Catman? Catman and Batman do rhyme! :p

Azrael? Could be possible. Even after seeing the movie, I will not dismiss this. Azrael has received much attention for people believing Blake is him. But I find it unlikely.

Next Batman? This is very likely. I will not mention the end of the movie but the ending suits well with this. I am not much of a fan of this idea but it is possible.

Any other possibilities? Who do you think it is?

#2 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad said:

I watched the film... Wanna get spoiled? Nyahahahaha!

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! I'M NOT KIDDING, I'M GONNA PLACE A SPOILER! DON'T BLAME ME...

So I read.
#4 Edited by ThatThorFan (951 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Just got back from the film. It was really good. John Blake is a very likable character but I do not see him becoming Batman. He is not known at all. He is pretty much made up. In the comics, his report card got stolen from Joker. That is pretty much it. Do you see him becoming Batman?

Check out this site. It shows that there is a possibility of him being Nightwing/Robin. Actually tells us pretty interesting things.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2012/06/21/is-joseph-gordon-levitts-character-in-the-dark-knight-rises-secretly-robin/

#5 Posted by ThatThorFan (951 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#6 Edited by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio

If this was Marvel he would already be in the comics. Hey Grayson I bet you're glad you are not a Marvel character. You would already been thrown a bone before being replaced.

#7 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

I would of liked a shot of the ID that he gave the woman with his birth name on... we only get to hear his first name: Robin (cause, you know) and it also seemed weird what the clerk said back to him, like "you should have used your full name, Robin" or something... I don't understand that... I could have misheard and I obviously don't remember her exact words... but in any case, what does that even mean?

There's also the name "John Blake" ok he was a cop in the comics... in like one issue, a long time ago... but John is Dick Grayson's middle name, as well as his father's name, ok fair enough, but where does the Blake come from? and what his is "real" surname? It doesn't really add to the story or anything and it could give the game away if someone figured it out... but all you needed to hear was the word "orphan" and you knew what was going to happen. On a side note Crispus Allen makes a cameo... but you'd hardly even guess if you didn't see the name on his police vest... and it's the intricate details like that, that make movies more enjoyable for comic fans.

I gotta admit that I'm actually quite conflicted over this, though, the fanboy in me says that it should follow a linear timeline... Bruce Wayne becomes Batman, then you get Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing, Oracle (at al)... but the movie fan understands why it would practically impossible to do that... for one thing, we know the history of the characters, so anything will give it away... so there was only really one thing for Nolan to do: amalgamate... bring aspects of all the Robins and put them into one character... that they actually call "Robin" - Personal view, I think they could have included a few more nods to the Robins... or even just other characters in general, but I like what they did.

#8 Posted by ThatThorFan (951 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah. I agree with everything said. Im just confused over the whole Blake thing. And he makes a rather old Robin. Id rather see him become Nightwing without going through the Robin phase... ahh the things Id love to know.

#9 Posted by JediXMan (30630 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have liked it if he were named Jason Todd... just saying.

Moderator
#10 Edited by War Killer (20210 posts) - - Show Bio

How the movie ending with Blake's character, I felt, was perfect.

#11 Edited by ThatThorFan (951 posts) - - Show Bio

I just wish John Blake was more of a character in the comics. The character John Blake in the movie was cool. If only he was a legit character that became someone in the comics.......... But I liked the movie.

#12 Posted by War Killer (20210 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThatThorFan said:

I just wish John Blake was more of a character in the comics. The character John Blake in the movie was cool. If only he was a legit character that became someone in the comics.......... But I liked the movie. Probably wont go to anymore midnight premieres though, might get shot... not being sarcastic either.

I disagree, Nolan has brought in characters that were never in the comics before like with Bruce's childhood love, Rachel, for example. I think if they would have just thrown in any random character fans would be tearing it apart, saying how so-and-so would suck as Batman or annoying crap like that. I think having someone who was created simply for the movies works with the main idea of this whole trilogy which is that Batman isn't simply one man, but is a symbol that anyone can get behind and use to rise up against the evils of this world. The idea that when surrounded by darkness, one person can be a rise up and be the light that the world needs. That was is who Blake was, someone who was surrounded by the evils and corruption of this world yet choose to fight against that evil and rise up to become something better, despite the whole world being against him. That's why Bruce choose him to be his successor, because he understood what the Batman truly was and despite not having the training or the technology, he had the drive to fight against the injustice of the world.
 
I mean if he had been Dick Grayson, fans would have complained abut him not being from the circus. If he were Jason Todd, fans would complain that he was a cop or something. My point is that it's the fact that he wasn't some random comic book character that Nolan just picked but instead was someone made specifically for this universe that makes him perfect for the role.
#13 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9064 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people said that Blake may be a mixture of all the Robins besides Stephanie Brown and Damian. My guess he is going to be the next Batman, but if not that than probably Nightwing

Online
#14 Posted by War Killer (20210 posts) - - Show Bio
@haydenclaireheroes said:

A lot of people said that Blake may be a mixture of all the Robins besides Stephanie Brown and Damian. My guess he is going to be the next Batman, but if not that than probably Nightwing

He kind of was a mixture of Dick and Tim, with maybe a little of Jason as well:
  • He had black hair (like all the Robin's, minus Steph)
  • Parents were both killed leaving him orphan (like most of the Robin's)
  • His name was "Robin"
  • He was a police officer (Dick was once a police officer in the comics)
  • He figured out Batman was Bruce Wayne all on his own (like Tim did)
Those were a few things that I noticed that, in a way, made him a mixture of the various Robin's from the comics. From how the movie left off, it is left to assume to that Blake will continue the legacy of Batman, allowing Bruce to life the rest of his life happy, like Alfred wanted for him, knowing that Gotham is in good hands.
#15 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

How the movie ending with Blake's character, I felt, was perfect.

I thought it was brilliant although I thought the scene with Alfred and Bruce at the end was incredibly touching.

Moderator
#16 Posted by War Killer (20210 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@War Killer said:

How the movie ending with Blake's character, I felt, was perfect.

I thought it was brilliant although I thought the scene with Alfred and Bruce at the end was incredibly touching.

I thought it was as well, and while in the comics I'm for the Bruce/Talia relationship, I like how Bruce ended up with Selina in the end. Having them both leave the chaos of Gotham and their old lives behind and actually finding happiness was something I'm was glad to see in the end. I also like how Bruce was positioned to where he was looking straight at Alfred, wanting Alfred to see him and letting him know that his dream for Bruce had finally come true. Perfect ending all around for such great characters. I wouldn't want it to end any differently.
#17 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@War Killer said:

How the movie ending with Blake's character, I felt, was perfect.

I thought it was brilliant although I thought the scene with Alfred and Bruce at the end was incredibly touching.

I thought it was as well, and while in the comics I'm for the Bruce/Talia relationship, I like how Bruce ended up with Selina in the end. Having them both leave the chaos of Gotham and their old lives behind and actually finding happiness was something I'm was glad to see in the end. I also like how Bruce was positioned to where he was looking straight at Alfred, wanting Alfred to see him and letting him know that his dream for Bruce had finally come true. Perfect ending all around for such great characters. I wouldn't want it to end any differently.

Personally, I never liked Talia and one of the only gripes I had with the film was that Bane ended up being Talia's b!tch the entire time. Nolan ended his trilogy phenomenally and I hope he keeps it that way.

Moderator
#18 Edited by War Killer (20210 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@War Killer said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@War Killer said:

How the movie ending with Blake's character, I felt, was perfect.

I thought it was brilliant although I thought the scene with Alfred and Bruce at the end was incredibly touching.

I thought it was as well, and while in the comics I'm for the Bruce/Talia relationship, I like how Bruce ended up with Selina in the end. Having them both leave the chaos of Gotham and their old lives behind and actually finding happiness was something I'm was glad to see in the end. I also like how Bruce was positioned to where he was looking straight at Alfred, wanting Alfred to see him and letting him know that his dream for Bruce had finally come true. Perfect ending all around for such great characters. I wouldn't want it to end any differently.

Personally, I never liked Talia and one of the only gripes I had with the film was that Bane ended up being Talia's b!tch the entire time. Nolan ended his trilogy phenomenally and I hope he keeps it that way.

 I don't think you need to worry, DC looks like they're done with Nolan's Batman and are moving on to Superman, so I think we can sit back and simply enjoy the epic story that we have and relax knowing that the story Nolan wanted to tell has finally been told.
#19 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

John Blake is Dick, Jason, and Tim in one. He is a cop like Dick was. His parents died the same way that Jason's did. He deduced Batman's identity like Tim did.

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

I don't think you need to worry, DC looks like they're done with Nolan's Batman and are moving on to Superman, so I think we can sit back and simply enjoy the epic story that we have and relax knowing that the story Nolan wanted to tell has finally been told.

Honestly, I liked Selina's character a lot as well. She was easily the most true to form character out of the series and Anne Hathaway proved the naysayers wrong.

Moderator
#21 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Never know, with the new 52 and the fact that we saw Smallville cutie Chloe Sullivan turn into an official comic canon character, I see Blake becoming apart of the comics at some point.

I hope they add him as a new "Robin" in the new 52, kind of tired of the same old Robins. Dick, Tim, Jason, Damian are cool and all but let's see some fresh blood. I'd also like to see more done with Terry personally.

#22 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

He seemed like a mash-up of Dick and Tim. Dick was an orphan, a beat cop, and inherited the Batman mantle, Tim figured out who Bruce was independently and confronted him over it, pulling Bruce away from his darkest self. I liked the character a lot, but considering that his elements were pulled from existing characters, I'm with those who say he's not necessary for the comics. Maybe put him in with the Earth One Batman?

Edit: Others have pointed out that his parents were killed like Jason's? That's interesting. So then it's a mix of everyone but Damian (and Steph), which wouldn't make sense.

#23 Posted by LightningTiger2190 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree he was a mixture of Dick, Tim, and Jason. He was a good detective, he figured out who batman was, he had good leader ship skills and could inspire others, he had that rage and he was a bit of a smart ass.

#24 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hunter114 said:

I would of liked a shot of the ID that he gave the woman with his birth name on... we only get to hear his first name: Robin (cause, you know) and it also seemed weird what the clerk said back to him, like "you should have used your full name, Robin" or something... I don't understand that... I could have misheard and I obviously don't remember her exact words... but in any case, what does that even mean?

There's also the name "John Blake" ok he was a cop in the comics... in like one issue, a long time ago... but John is Dick Grayson's middle name, as well as his father's name, ok fair enough, but where does the Blake come from? and what his is "real" surname?

@ThatThorFan said:

Yeah. I agree with everything said. Im just confused over the whole Blake thing. And he makes a rather old Robin. Id rather see him become Nightwing without going through the Robin phase... ahh the things Id love to know.

I don't see what's so confusing about it. His real name is "Robin John Blake" and he just goes by "John Blake" because he doesn't like the name "Robin." He's a fusion of Dick, Jason, and Tim and they took the name from the old cop character. Why not?

#25 Posted by longbowhunter (7094 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have prefered if he just would have been named Richard Grayson. A cop who transfered to Gotham from Bludhaven. In the movie he grows up in a boys home funded by the Wayne Foundation. Still kinda sorta raised by Bruce Wayne. They simply could have left out the circus background and instead of Blake's parents being killed by a car wreck and a gambling debt, say they were killed by mob boss Tony Zucco. Still pretty much the same story but gets the character just that much closer to the source material.

#26 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I don't see what's so confusing about it. His real name is "Robin John Blake" and he just goes by "John Blake" because he doesn't like the name "Robin." He's a fusion of Dick, Jason, and Tim and they took the name from the old cop character. Why not?

hmm, not really sure I like that idea... I would prefer if it was made more clearer, with a better nod to the fans, like if we actually saw his ID, or if he said "maybe it's under my original first name" or something as simple as that. Here the problem is that the name "Robin" and "John" do have a meaning, but there is no relevance in the name "Blake" other than it rhyming with "Drake"

The characterization of John Blake in the movie shows some sides of Dick Grayson and Tim Drake, but not really anything of Jason Todd, Damian Wayne, or Stephanie Brown - For me, it would be nicer to have some little nods, even if they are all just in the name and background.

#27 Posted by ThatThorFan (951 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I understand that now.

#28 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hunter114: I didn't see much Jason except for the circumstances of his youth. More than Dick, Jason lived as an orphan. So not really a personality thing.

#29 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard that the boy Blake talks to at the orphanage is later credited to be Tim Drake.

True or false?

#30 Posted by ThatThorFan (951 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Wow. I kind of knew that kid had some sort of importance to the film. I have not heard of that but it could be true! I will try to find out.

#31 Posted by kay_c_73 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's another Blake appearance in Batman comics--a little more significant than the kid who gets his report card stolen. In the 50's there was a story wherein Dick Grayson goes undercover on the set of a movie being made about Batman, where he uses the alias Don Blake.

#32 Posted by IncludedPharoh (192 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he is all 3 of the Robins put together. Im not sure if he will just be known as Robin or take on Batman. Ive heard of the Azrael thing a lot though.

#33 Posted by IncludedPharoh (192 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a very popular forum! A lot of views but little replies! Everyone must of wondered who he was....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.