Follow

The Dark Knight Rises

Movie » The Dark Knight Rises released on July 20, 2012.

Taking place eight years after The Dark Knight, Bruce Wayne has given up on being Batman, overwhelmed with grief for his lost love. But when a terrorist named Bane overwhelms Gotham City's Police, The Dark Knight must rise one more time to defeat this new menace.

Effects of the Shootings on TDKR Box Office Performance

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RainEffect

Firstly my deepest sympathy goes out to any and all victims/related families of those connected to the Denver shootings. It is atrocious and completely despicable. 

I was looking at BBC news and the various news that the Paris premiere of The Dark Knight Rises was cancelled, alongside many other interviews and campaigns. Reportedly, this may cost Warner Brothers up to 2 million dollars. Now, I'm not too worried about Warner Brothers, to be perfectly honest, what I am concerned for is an absolutely monumental film (I saw it last night) not being given the credit and publicity that The Avengers was given. Don't get me wrong, I went and saw the Avengers 3 times and I'm not going to join on the ridiculous debate of 'Avengers is bollocks, The Dark Knight Rises is SO much better' - it is a pointless debate. Both movies cater to different styles, and both are brilliant in their own right. I am concerned that, for two or three years the entire crew (not just talking about the cast, but the actual filmmakers and on-set people) have devoted their lives to this brilliant masterpiece, only to be ruined by some maniac with a gun. 

The Dark Knight Rises was, prior to its release, already estimated to beat the Avengers in Box Office takings, but with this recent shooting, it has marred the movie and now, whenever people think of The Dark Knight Rises, they'll think of that despicable act.\

What do you think? Do you think TDKR will still overtake the Avengers in the Box Office and become a legendary film?

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Rumble Man

Nope, just like the old spiderman series with maguire the second is the best

Jodez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jodez

I actually think it's going to boost box office sales due to all the added news coverage. The same as with TDK, I think a big part of it's success was due to Heath Ledgers passing making making such a large splash (not that the movie didn't deserve it).

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CrimsonCake
    RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RainEffect
    @Jodez said:

I actually think it's going to boost box office sales due to all the added news coverage. The same as with TDK, I think a big part of it's success was due to Heath Ledgers passing making making such a large splash (not that the movie didn't deserve it).

Whoah, I never thought of that. I was looking at it negatively. You're right!

@CrimsonCake said:

He doesn't think so.http://news.yahoo.com/video/experts-shooting-wont-hurt-dark-005113373.html

And I completely agree with you about them putting all their effort into it only to be ruined by this this tragic event.

That puts me at ease. It was such an amazing movie, and I would HATE to see it ruined by this.
    Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Jorgevy

@RainEffect said:

. The Dark Knight Rises was, prior to its release, already estimated to beat the Avengers in Box Office takings

where was this?

@Jodez said:

and this is quite possible too

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RainEffect
    @Jorgevy: I don't have the link to the original article, but I believe The Australian had an article on it (which is supplied by FairFax Media, so it should be accessible anywhere). Your best bet is to go to the Wikipedia page of the film and look at the Marketing and Pre-Release section. I swear, though, I did read it. It was based on midnight screening sales and pre-order of tickets.
    Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jorgevy

@RainEffect: I know the pre ordering of tickets was off the roof though. I might search it

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RainEffect
    @Jorgevy said:

@RainEffect: I know the pre ordering of tickets was off the roof though. I might search it

I don't really care if it beats the Avengers - I just want it to beat Titanic. That movie pisses me off haha.
    Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Suprman

I honestly don't know how this will affect the box office and frankly to me it doesn't matter. People will see the movie at one point or another. I enjoyed this movie and will most likely see it again. I send my sympathies out to the families in Colorado, I have family out there myself and called them the second I heard about this incident and was happy to hear that they are fine.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jorgevy

@RainEffect said:

@Jorgevy said:

I don't really care if it beats the Avengers - I just want it to beat Titanic. That movie pisses me off haha.

ahahah me too xD

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I dunno, TDKR already broke a record for highest midnight showing ever, with about 30 million, question is, will the shooting deter others from seeing it.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By jwalser3

Imagine whats going to happen on the Man of Steel premiere.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @jwalser3 said:

A random bald dude is going to attack a theater with a green glowing rock? O_o

But no seriously, I went to the movie Friday night and the theater was pretty full minus a few empty seats, but overall it was a pretty full house that you'd expect for this type of movie. I think the whole incident scared some people, but a majority of moviegoers I have seen on the news have all mentioned that they're not going to let some punk with a gun ruin a perfectly good outing with friends and family. I mean even during the movie, the whole incident popped up in my mind and though no one, and I mean NO ONE, was talking about it in the theater for obvious reasons, I know that like myself, everyone who saw the movie thought about the whole thing at least once during the film.

But I like what my father said, he mentioned that when a terrorist can cause you to change the way you live your lives, they've won. Which is why I don't feel people should let something like this scare them from going out to the movies, in reality I think it should be a reminded that life if short and that we only have a certain amount of time on this planet, so instead of letting fear keep us from enjoying that life we should instead embrace what precious time we have together, and what better place to do that then at the movies.
    jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jwalser3

@War Killer:I agree with you. But my friend is paranoid about it lol.

No Caption Provided
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @jwalser3 said:

No Caption Provided
    Give it a week or two, once the media finds something else news worthy and the whole things dies down people will start to forget about it and go on with their lives. The world keeps spinning. :)
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @jwalser3:  

No Caption Provided

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@RainEffect said:

What do you think? Do you think TDKR will still overtake the Avengers in the Box Office and become a legendary film?

I don't think so, but I want it to do so. It was a hundred times better then the avengers.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Rumble Man said:

Well this is just altogether wrong. 
    Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rumble Man

@FadeToBlackBolt: The second TDK is the best

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Rumble Man said:

Agreed

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Deranged Midget

Oh who cares about bloody box office winnings. We should all celebrate the fact that we received not one, but three fantastic comic book films in a single summer.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rumble Man

@TheAnnihilator said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Rumble Man said:

Agreed

Ledger did a better performance relative to Hardy, would you disagree?

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

The most reputable (and one of the oldest) movie sites-Deadline has gotten the box office numbers from a source. Since this is Deadline I'm perfectly willing to believe these are the real numbers and they are significantly less than what people thought it was going to make. According to their source the weekend take for The Dark Knight Rises is only $163 million.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@Rumble Man said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Rumble Man said:

Agreed

Ledger did a better performance relative to Hardy, would you disagree?

I disagree, yeah.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RainEffect
    @Deranged Midget said:

Oh who cares about bloody box office winnings. We should all celebrate the fact that we received not one, but three fantastic comic book films in a single summer.

You've got to put it into perspective. The box office winnings fill the paychecks of the people who made these films. I'm not talking the actors, I'm talking the people behind the scenes. Make up artists, set designers, photographers, effects wizards etc. They deserve to have their work recognized and not be desecrated by a disgustingly sick excuse for a human being.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By InnerVenom123

@War Killer said:

@jwalser3 said:

A random bald dude is going to attack a theater with a green glowing rock? O_o

No, that's stupid.

He'd obviously use a grenade.

I mean really... glowing rocks. Where do you come up with this?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Deranged Midget

@RainEffect said:

@Deranged Midget said:

You've got to put it into perspective. The box office winnings fill the paychecks of the people who made these films. I'm not talking the actors, I'm talking the people behind the scenes. Make up artists, set designers, photographers, effects wizards etc. They deserve to have their work recognized and not be desecrated by a disgustingly sick excuse for a human being.

You really believe that TDKR isn't going to still make truckloads of money? It's part of what might be one of the most popular and critically praised trilogies of the past decade. While unfortunate and completely horrific, the event in Colorado was a setback if anything. It might have not broken any records, but it's still going to make millions upon millions in the long-run.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jwalser3

@InnerVenom123: I think we was just playing around.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.