Cracked.com has a theory about TDKR - (And it totally isn't BS).

#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we'll get retirement, not death. The article makes good points considering this is Bane (most famous for forcing Bruce into retirement, necessitating a replacement) and he's been saying all along that Batman is an idea, not a man. However, none of that requires an actual death of the Bruce Wayne character. I don't believe that would satisfy many fans compared to a metaphorical death and passing on of the cowl.

It could be done a couple different ways: I think you could have a public death of Bruce Wayne where he goes into hiding and trains successors (i.e., the Dark Knight Returns retirement) or the death of Bruce-as-Batman in favor of an ailing or demoralized Bruce Wayne, who is then picked up and asked to lead a next generation hero (i.e., the Batman Beyond retirement).

Either way, the end result is a new Batman, an extended Bat Family, or even a full-on "Batman Inc."-style movement. It's a satisfying end-without-an-end and would allow for a bunch of delicious cameos if they decide to go that route. I'm envisioning an epilogue where the fight goes on with Babs Gordon (rumored to appear as a young girl in this film) and others wearing cowls while we meet a toddling Helena Wayne, daughter of Bruce and Selina. That'd be a nice end.

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

an, an extended Bat Family, or even a full-on "Batman Inc."-style movement. It's a satisfying end-without-an-end and would allow for a bunch of delicious cameos if they decide to go that route. I'm envisioning an epilogue where the fight goes on with Babs Gordon (rumored to appear as a young girl in this film) and others wearing cowls while we meet a toddling Helena Wayne, daughter of Bruce and Selina. That'd be a nice end.

I love you soooo much for this idea. Seriously, bravo.

#4 Posted by danhimself (22712 posts) - - Show Bio

it could happen....I guess

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34908 posts) - - Show Bio

I said way back when that I thought Bruce might die or more likely be forced in to retirement but I really cant see some one else picking up the mantel, that doesn't end anything.

#6 Edited by red_panther (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on the small preview alone, it's pretty evident that Bruce will not be keeping the Batman mantle. Then again, that could just be Nolan planting seeds for a swtichup. That said, I think we'll see Bruce training an army of Batmen/women at the end of the film.

Edit: How cool would a Nolan-directed Batman Beyond film be?

#7 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a new Theory but an intresting one and this is the best way i've seen it explained . likely Bruce will die I can't see a realist righting a movie about how a man who ran around fighting crime dressed as a bat survived the experience

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.