Follow

The Dark Knight Rises

Movie » The Dark Knight Rises released on July 20, 2012.

Taking place eight years after The Dark Knight, Bruce Wayne has given up on being Batman, overwhelmed with grief for his lost love. But when a terrorist named Bane overwhelms Gotham City's Police, The Dark Knight must rise one more time to defeat this new menace.

Christian Bale On Batman: "How Long Do You Allow Pain To Dominate Your Life?"

• 55 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

We've seen plenty of images from the set of director Christopher Nolan's 'The Dark Knight Rises,' but it's when the actors of the upcoming film begin gracing magazine covers that the film begins to seem like a reality. Earlier today the upcoming covers for EMPIRE MAGAZINE were revealed giving us an eerie look at actor Tom Hardy as Bane, and Christian Bale as Batman.

No Caption Provided

Aside from the fact that Bale is holding what appears to be an oversized flashlight, and we get a really close up shot of Tom Hardy's mask, as far as the images go, it's not really anything we haven't seen before. That is until you check out the two quotes found at the bottom of the images from both Bale and Hardy, respectively. These short blurbs give us a little bit of insight into what the character's will be dealing with, and what the overall premise of the story will be. While it's a little bit hard to make out, beneath the image of Christian Bale on the cover of EMPIRE is a quote from the actor that tells a lot about what Batman will be experiencing in the upcoming film.

No Caption Provided
    "He has to answer the question: how long do you allow pain to dominate your life?" - Christian Bale

Christopher Nolan's Batman is a tortured character who has allowed the death of both his parents to take over his entire life. Everything he does can be traced to the pain of his parents' death -- so will this movie be the definitive end to the series? Will he no longer allow "pain to dominate his life," or is this just the beginning? Could this be the definitive "end" of Chris Nolan's Batman?

== TEASER ==

Beneath the image of Bane is also a quote from Tom Hardy. His, unlike Bale's, is a little less telling of the character and serves to essentially confirm what we already sort of knew.

No Caption Provided
    "He's brutal. He's a terrorist. A really horrible piece of work." - Tom Hardy

This also gives us something of a clue into the characterization of Bane in the upcoming film. While in the comics, you can argue Bane wasn't always a terrorist; there were moments where he did seem to have those tendencies.

The issue will also feature an interview with the film's director, Christopher Nolan, who hints that this third Batman film will likely be his last.

“It’s really all about finishing Batman and Bruce Wayne’s story. We left him in a very precarious place. Perhaps surprisingly for some people, our story picks up quite a bit later, eight years after The Dark Knight. So he’s an older Bruce Wayne; he’s not in a great state.”

You can check out all three covers of the January 2012 issue of EMPIRE magazine, below. The January issue of EMPIRE will be available on November 24th, 2011. What do you think of the images? Do the quotes above give you some insight into what the movie will be about?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Source: Collider

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Billy Batson

interesting
    BB

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mega_spidey01

great suff. bring on batman arkham city 3 !

wowylied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By wowylied

I understand that they have to change a little the character of bane if they want to make a blockbuster but this time it is too much for me, i hope bane will still the great strategist he is. No mask and no venom...i could understand for the venom but the mask is bane, now we have a bane who must breath some medecine after a accident, maybe they will name it venom but the fact that it is only with in breath is lame.

Batman begins was nice with a Ras and scarecrow who were good, the dark knight was okay but with too much joker compared to two face or other vilain.

EDIT : Batman's gun is made by liefeld ?

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wattup

I Am The Night.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Seems like a mixture then of Knightfall and Dark Knight Returns when put into this context. I sure do miss the mask.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By fodigg

Makes me hopeful we'll get a more interesting Batman and he won't be totally overshadowed by the villain like in DK.

NyxEquitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NyxEquitis

Really dislike Bane's look...

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By feargalr

Im liking this twist on batman.. like sure Batman's parents died but dude it was like 20 years ago.. get over it.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

#9  Edited By shawn87

Liking Banes look better than i thought i would

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By SpidermanWins

Bane's a terrorist? That's (to cite an incredibly overused word in these forums) interesting...noted.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By ReVamp

Bane's mask is crap. Needs less junk. Rest is ok.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@ReVamp: I'll agree with you. Can't wait for the film though!!!!!

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By perry_411

The film happens 8 years after Dark Knight!

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#14  Edited By fables87

Does anyone else think that Bane looks like Hannibal Lecter on steroids in this new movie?

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#15  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

Man, Hardy really did get jacked for this.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By movieartman

@wowylied: dude im pretty sure there keeping the venom his mask clearly looks likke it would be supplying some kinda gas to his mouth area likely a gas version of venom

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By movieartman

Ok firstly on the 8 year time laps thing

ok batman begins was made in 2005 lets asume it took place the same year

the dark knight took place a year later so 2006-early 07 ok so fast forward 5 years it would be the present so add 3 more years and it really isnt that big of a jump considering all that

Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Schabbe

@movieartman said:

@wowylied: dude im pretty sure there keeping the venom his mask clearly looks likke it would be supplying some kinda gas to his mouth area likely a gas version of venom

Costume designer Lindy Hemming also talked about Bane's mask in the film. "He was injured early in his story. He's suffering from pain and needs gas to survive. He can't survive the pain without the mask. The pipes from the mask go back along his jawline and feed into the thing at his back, where there are two cannisters."

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Kal'smahboi

The thing that really caught my eye is "eight years later." That's really interesting to me considering the place that we left Batman at the end of TDK. Everything else seems fine to me. I'm still excited about this movie.

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By soccersss

I wonder what what has happened eight years later. Are the cops still hunting Batman. Has Gordon replaced the Bat-signal. Batman is probably an established & feared hero in Gotham by now. Man I cant wait for this movie to be out already

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#21  Edited By Deadcool

Nice, this would be a great movie =)

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Mucklefluga

I wonder what has happened to Joker in 8 years?

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looks pretty cool but kinda reserved on Banes lector mask

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

I wonder if Tom Hardy knows he has some stupid thing on his face...

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By sj_esposito

I'm kind of dismayed that there are so many people complaining about Bane's look... Oh, wait. This is the internet; silly me.-.-

I really like Bane's look and I think it fits in perfectly with the universe that Nolan's established already. Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor and it's almost a sure think that he'll bring Bane to life in a proper way.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By difficlus

@Mr. Kamikaze said:

I wonder if Tom Hardy knows he has some stupid thing on his face...

is would look stupider if they stuck to the comic look.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By goldenkey

8 YEARS?!?!?!?!

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28  Edited By RedOwl_1
    “It’s really all about finishing Batman and Bruce Wayne’s story. We left him in a very precarious place. Perhaps surprisingly for some people, our story picks up quite a bit later, eight years after The Dark Knight. So he’s an older Bruce Wayne; he’s not in a great state.”

I KNEW IT , I KNEW IT, Yeah anybody believe me but I have the reason Yay

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#29  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

I look forward to this movie. riddle me this though: why was EVERYONE think Riddler was going to be part of this?

Avatar image for thesensationaldevourerofworlds
    thesensationaldevourerofworlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge...HUGE Batman fan. I remember seeing the first Batman with Keaton and Nicholson in theaters when I was a little kid (less then 6) and being totally hooked. Ever since then the one hero that never failed me (even with Batman Forever and Batman and Robin) was Batman. Also I am a huge Bane fan and frankly I am loving this look. I remember people complaining about them changing the aspects of the Joker's appearance before DK came out, heck even I complained, but I was eating crow when I watched DK. Chris Nolan is an AMAZING story teller and one of the most original directors/ writers working in Hollywood today. I have faith that this movie will be an amazing swan song for the series. As for Bane the guy generally looks intimidating, and that is what Bane is all about intimidation. Lets not forget the Bane has been working without venom in the comics for YEARS now and frankly the old look was too much like a luchadore that I really could not take it seriously in the Nolanverse. This looks like a guy that I really would hate to walk into in a dark alley at night. The only thing I have my reservation about about this movie is Catwoman, but I will probably be eating crow again about that. I say we leave the faults to the critics and get ready for one kick ass summer of comic book movies!!

Croi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Croi

Eight years, really? I think that's a bit much. I mean, surely the incident of Batman being a menace is resolved LONG before those eight years for it not to be a plausable sequel.

Heck, I'd even consider Robin being up for grabs.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KingofMadCows

@Schabbe said:

@movieartman said:

Costume designer Lindy Hemming also talked about Bane's mask in the film. "He was injured early in his story. He's suffering from pain and needs gas to survive. He can't survive the pain without the mask. The pipes from the mask go back along his jawline and feed into the thing at his back, where there are two cannisters."

I'm getting the feeling that Nolan subconsciously wants to have Mr. Freeze in his movies. First he gave the whole getting revenge on a lost loved one thing to Two-Face, now he's going to give the physically (and maybe emotionally) disconnected from humanity thing to Bane.

Avatar image for ultimategirlshileha1236
    ultimategirlshileha1236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 years?!!! really?!

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By JonesDeini

8 years later, interesting.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By entropy_aegis

@ReVamp said:

Bane's mask is crap. Needs less junk. Rest is ok.

Better than those stupid venom tubes.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

8 years later? Man that's a big time skip! Well hopefully we'll get some cool villain cameo's like Deadshot or Zsasz(I know he was already mentioned back in Begins but I want to see the serial killer side!)

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By johnny_spam

The time skip idea really interests me I love it makes this movie seem much more epic in scope that this entire trilogy has told Bruce's story over years. I can still buy Batman being a wanted man for eight years. I know Christian Bale is not the most popular on screen Batman but really I think he has gotten this character right it will be tough to see him go.

Still see some weird comments all over like Robin or Batgirl not playing a part in the movie even though Nolan has said he is not interested in him. Some people wanting to see other more outlandish Bat villains even as cameos. Or Bane needing to breathe in some painkiller instead of taking Venom. But really at some point you have to see the movie for what it is and not what the comics are.

Omegalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Omegalpha

Eight years?!

Damn... sounds epic, though.

ALdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ALdragon17

I don't know on this, but for me Nolan should've just left at Dark Knight. The movie was epic in every way, it lift me like puppy eye look. I think their going to break batman and put him back together. I'd really think the knightfall series shouldn't have happen, Batman was already popular. I hated when people like to trash heroes, maybe you should trash yourself (villains). I'm not talking about this thread here, but in general. Sometimes, wonder about this villain loving freaks and who is the real evil.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @wowylied said:

I understand that they have to change a little the character of bane if they want to make a blockbuster but this time it is too much for me, i hope bane will still the great strategist he is. No mask and no venom...i could understand for the venom but the mask is bane, now we have a bane who must breath some medecine after a accident, maybe they will name it venom but the fact that it is only with in breath is lame.

Batman begins was nice with a Ras and scarecrow who were good, the dark knight was okay but with too much joker compared to two face or other vilain.

EDIT : Batman's gun is made by liefeld ?

Nolan has said that Bane is a genius in the film. 
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Eyz

I'm still not a fan of this Bane's design... It's just a messy design...

YEAH, I'm sure the movie will be brilliant (if a tad too long like most blockbusters these days), great directing, music, etc.. but doesn't change a fact Bane has quite a boring look :/

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By CATPANEXE

Mmm. The notion of pain and Tom Hardy dominating. Why am I blushing and why are my toes curled? O.O

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Eyz said:

I'm still not a fan of this Bane's design... It's just a messy design...

YEAH, I'm sure the movie will be brilliant (if a tad too long like most blockbusters these days), great directing, music, etc.. but doesn't change a fact Bane has quite a boring look :/

He's wearing kevlar,that's good enough for me.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Chaos Burn

harvey dent....can we trust him

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheMess1428

The eight years later part doesn't really work for me. How can you go 8 years into the bat-universe without any Robins or Batgirls. Without any new villains. Why does Catwoman wait 8 years to appear? Does Batman really only fight Joker and Scarecrow for 8 years repeatedly while trying to stay away from the cops? This is probably going to kill the series.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#46  Edited By The Impersonator

"He's brutal. He's a terrorist. A really horrible piece of work." - Tom Hardy

I really wonder.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LordRequiem

Nolan has already said this will be his last Batman film has he not? He also has stated that the premise this film was written as an ending to his trilogy. Of course that's not to say it will end the franchise, but his reign most surely. As soon as I heard this I thought, Knightfall, and have said ever since that Bats will get broken. I hope not because I don't think that will translate well for a villain to prevail in a film about such an iconic character. We shall see.....

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Seems like a mixture then of Knightfall and Dark Knight Returns when put into this context. I sure do miss the mask.

A mixture of Knightfall and Dark Knight Returns indeed. I wonder if the movie will start with Bane breaking Batman's back and then flash forward 8 years down the road, with Bane now having control over Gotham and Batman having to take it back. And its a shame that they didn't use Bane's mask, but I understand that he'd probably look like a mexican wrestler with it on

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

It's bold, anyone else behind this project i would have doubts but if anyone can pull this off it's Nolan.

MrErbac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MrErbac

The mask from the comics would look cool in real life. Watch the Batman Legends fan film on youtube if you don't think so. Too bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.