Desperate Times: The Dandy faces Cancelation

Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dandy, Britain’s oldest comic book that has run for 75 years is facing the axe as sales dip bellow 8,000 a week. From it’s hay day in the 1950’s and then again in the 1980’s to being stripped back to a fortnightly release in 2007, in an attempt to boost sales that has so far proved to be fruitless, a lack of exploration into the digital field seems to have caught the Dandy up, however the classic characters such as Desperate Dan will live on if the comic is to end, by either a leap into the online world or via The Beano, a rival of equal long standing that has sustained a much higher commercial interest of late.

#1 Posted by Digifiend (582 posts) - - Show Bio

Sources are saying it will close next month. Shame it couldn't survive another three, until the 75th anniversary in December.

#2 Posted by Digifiend (582 posts) - - Show Bio

We have confirmation, it is closing - but it will make it to the anniversary, it'll end the first week of December.

#3 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I can't say I was ever a fan, it's a sad time to see this go and thought it should be noted here.

#4 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

Relaunch it :P

#5 Edited by Digifiend (582 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by JayUK (101 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all my fault. I stopped buying the Dandy 2 months ago and look what it's done!

#7 Posted by Digifiend (582 posts) - - Show Bio

Only two issues left, out tomorrow and Tuesday 4 December (this time next week, a day earlier than usual). The online version also launches next Tuesday.

#8 Posted by sheldipez (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad to pick up the last edition. I hadn't read it since I was very young (maybe last issue I bought 17 years ago!) but it's a british establishment. Very sad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.