Stephen Norrington Leaves the Crow Reboot

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Just as Mark Whalberg looks to be taking wing with the new CROW movie, it looks like Stephen Norrington will be leaving the nest. Comics2Film has reported that the writer/director is leaving the project essentially due to creative differences with an actor, but it doesn't look like the two incidents above are related.

In his words…

"I can tell you I'm no longer involved with The Crow… As I had gotten involved explicitly as a writer-director my exit was inevitable. I was bummed. I had developed a genuinely authentic take that respected the source material while moving beyond it… I think the fans would have been pleasantly surprised."

Apparently it came down to the unnamed actor enjoying Norrington’s directorial vision, but disagreeing with the script he’d worked out. It sounds like Whalberg’s casting interest happened after this.

Norrington’s going off to do a couple other projects: THE LOST PATROL and an “indie animation/live action project.”  I can’t help but see this being a bit timely (although not nearly as coincidentally as a soul-resurrecting crow just happening to be around for your wrongful death) because Wesley Snipes is also talking about doing another BLADE movie. You’ll recall that Norrington directed the first one - - maybe this is just the right window for a re-upped collaboration between the two? == TEASER ==

In regard to Whalberg’s potential casting, Norrington approves of the choice. He said…

"I will say I think Wahlberg could be cool if they take a gritty blue-collar approach… He's a truthful actor. I think he could really ground the supernatural stuff."

I honestly can’t picture Mark covering his face with black-and-white Halloween make-up for some alt. rock soundtracked gothic revenge. Then again, he’s more or less been in a CROW movie already with MAX PAYNE. I think you maniacs will agree that the two pecked from the same bird house of supernatural resurrections, beyond-the-grave revenge and comic-stylied urban jungles.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  & UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon here   &  here .

#1 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

no reboot !!! 

#2 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I say just end doing The Crow movie series. None of them other than the first have been good at all. 

I much rather have a Maxx or Darkness movie something we haven't gotten and should have already,  than getting  another Crow movie.
#3 Posted by Rabbit Tots (477 posts) - - Show Bio

NO more remakes/reboots Hollywood! Do not reuin the classics!
#4 Posted by darkxman123 (198 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rabbit Tots: they kinda did with the sequls
#5 Posted by alex frost (8 posts) - - Show Bio

this is not right he is not the right one to play im. I dont think we need a remake yet. lets wait a few more years.

#6 Posted by The Impersonator (5223 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see Mark playing as the resurrected vigilante in the movie.
#7 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkxman123 said:

" @Rabbit Tots: they kinda did with the sequls "

Not same thing tho.But still the sequals never apealed to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crow:_City_of_Angels  had a new crow difrent story.Not a remake as they planed of the 1st movie. 
Pass on Whalberg’s acting period.Critics point out he does one style an imho that style doesnt fit with the crow.So not even intrested in this.Can i be even less intrested now?
#8 Posted by bobtv (81 posts) - - Show Bio

another Crow movie? NO!

#9 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@bobtv said:
" another Crow movie? NO! "
Agreed.  The first one should of been the only one.
#10 Posted by GothamBat (644 posts) - - Show Bio

The Crow is my favorite movie of all time. I don't want a reboot of the first one. Maybe a new, original (and better) and sequel. And no, Wahlberg!

#11 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

YEEEEEEEEEES!!!  NORRINGTON IS GOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! 

Hire someone who is worthwhile, someone who isn't going to crap all over what The Crow is all about!  I don't understand why so many people keep saying "kill the franchise" when this is something that could be amazing!  It was never given a proper chance because Hollywood saw it as "hey, kids paint their faces like The Crow all the time, so we can just make whatever crap sticks to a wall and it'll sell". 

If they can get a director attached to this that will treat the material right...and not someone that made League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...then I'm all in!

#12 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

The Crow was one of my favorties and still is.  Someone I was talking to in a comic shop one day told me about it, and I was on a mission and went to 3 different stores and luckily found the trade and fell in love with it.  A differant kind of book.  evil, vengence, itelligant.  (not like my drunk spelling) I saw the movie and was SO let down.  plus I was and 18 year old partier and loved the sound track.  I have friends who don't read comics, but for some reason read this when I lent it to them.  They ALL loved it.  I think they gave it a chance when i said it wasn't a super hero book, but also cuz they had the soundtrack and just knew that i was dark because of the music.  The film wasn't out yet.  Goth was the next big thing after grunge and this was kind of goth.  I still read the trade at least once a year for some reason.  I remember hearing the rumor that James O'barr the writer saw his girl friend raped in front of him and couldn't do anything about it and this was his was of getting revenge and it made the book that much more personal.   Reading the book and not knowing he was a ghost and thats why he couldn't get killed, wondering if the morphine he took was the pain killer was crazy.  Sure he's a ghost now, and we know it, but this is somewhat of a short story.  A true mini-series that if done into a film needs to be used as a story board to get it right and catch the emotion of the book.  It needs dark tones at the least or to be done black and white.  If done like the book the movie will be an aquired taste.  Not liked by all, but to those that do will be loved.  It would fail hugely or succeed greatly cuz it is an arty story.  Its depressing, but it's one of the DARK love stories like Bram Stokers Dracula.  The film and book.  A violent character but a character that does what he does because of love.  If done like the book this movie shouldn't be expencive to make at all, just promoted with a lot of money.  It's arty and I hope it's done right.  Mullet and all.
#13 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

I never even saw the first one

#14 Posted by the darknessss (2750 posts) - - Show Bio
@GothamBat said:
"The Crow is my favorite movie of all time. I don't want a reboot of the first one. Maybe a new, original (and better) and sequel. And no, Wahlberg! "
#15 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

The Crow never appealed to me enough to even wanna read the comic or watch the first movie.

#16 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

if anyone wants to bring out the new crow, I suggest a vocalist from "30 second to Mars" to do that.
#17 Posted by Iyasu13 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Long live Brandon Lee's Crow, no other can take it's place.

#18 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

lol if whalberg was cast as the crow i'd leave to.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.