Follow

The Crow

Character » The Crow appears in 99 issues.

"People once believed that when someone dies, a crow carries their soul to the land of the dead. But sometimes, something so bad happens that a terrible sadness is carried with it and the soul can't rest. Then sometimes, just sometimes, the crow can bring that soul back to put the wrong things right."

New Crow Movie Still Has Wings

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    The idea of a remake or a reboot of James O'Barr's The Crow has been a touchy subject since I first mentioned it back in December.  Director Stephen Norrington (Blade, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) has been set to write and direct a new Crow movie.  The main problem people had with this idea is the fact that (original star) Brandon Lee died on the set.  Norrington mentioned back then that he was looking to take a different direction that what Alex Proyas did.  Rather than the 'goth' approach, Norrington said he wanted a more "realistic, hard-edged" approach.  His idea is to create a new character rather than involve the Eric Draven one.

In March, Proyas stated that the idea of remaking the film was "ridiculous" and that he has nothing to do with this (or any of the sequels or TV shows).

According to a source close to Mania.com, Norrington's current draft has been "very well received" by Relativity Media (those currently holding the rights).  Now that a draft for the script is complete, they will begin looking at casting for the film.

Would you like to see a re-imagined Crow movie?  With the movie, sequels and TV show, do you feel this project can add anything new to the franchise?
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Precise

I loved the original one, but I have my doubts about the new one. I actually liked the whole gritty goth approach. I'm scared it will now turn out to be a sort of Punisher movie to be honest...

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

if it's not gothic then it isn't really the Crow
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

To me, it was always the Eric Draven/Shelly love story that drove it.  If there's going to be a new character, it seems like it'll just be some dude that gets killed and comes back to avenge himself or others.  Haven't we seen that before once or twice?

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Darkchild

This new movie wont have the impact as the others did, like Gman said. The story was Draven and Shelly and its what brought it four movies and a tv series, now to simply reboot this would take away from it and bring us another Boo Hoo story

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By King Quisling

This should be done just like the first book. Never liked the movies but I really dug the first trade, the movie was nothing really like it. I love how in the book The Crow and his girlfriend get killed completely at random. Since it was completely random he got his chance to become the Crow and get revenge. Never made sense that he could get revenge for associating himself with gangsters..... Oh and there need to be some scenes of Crow cutting himself. Also in the book he seemed more demonic vicious killer, not so much silly goth guy in a suit thats way too tight. 

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Decept-O

I can't imagine another version of The Crow.  The first movie was great despite the sad sad loss of Brandon Lee.  The subsequent Crow movies didn't do all that well, did they?  
    Why bother knowing this is a property that just won't make it in the direction the crow flies?(pun intended. )
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

If they don't want to remake/re-imagine the first film, and they don't want to use Eric Draven, then why don't they adapt a different story instead of creating a brand new crow??  I'm not sure about this... but I guess we'll have to wait to see in time.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Green ankh

Who knows how this would be. I'd be interested for sure. Sometimes different is good.
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Marshal Victory

relaunch sounds like remake .but may not be from what i have read.IF they did to a remake of the crow im not a customer.just bought the 1st movie .doubt seriously they would get it much closer to the 1st trade series ,rember it was brandon that helped get it as close as it was. 

hollyweird just wants source material they can then put their grubby finger prints on . ride part of the orignal matrials good will an fame to a start of box office returns.then go see i did that .they dont care that some comics cold be just used as a story board to make their movies so easy... they want to do it their way. .. but lack any creativity to make their own material. 

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By FoxxFireArt

This is the problem with Hollywood right now. They are more concerned with remaking every property they can get their hands on and not actually trying to create anything new.

Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Archetype

As long as it's not a remake sure.I loved the original when I was a kid in the 90's.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By NightFang3

I love Brandon Lee but its time to move on. I think a "realistic, hard-edged" remake could work if there was a good storyline and cast, maybe they should get Johnny Depp to play him.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenkey
    @G-Man said:
    "To me, it was always the Eric Draven/Shelly love story that drove it.  If there's going to be a new character, it seems like it'll just be some dude that gets killed and comes back to avenge himself or others.  Haven't we seen that before once or twice? "

I agree.  But, and you've heard this before, they should stay more true to the graphic.  If they did the movie like the graphic, even though it would have it's similarities with the original would be very differant.  The graphic wasn't goth, it was very gritty.  The villians wer not scar face gangsters that screwed thier satanic sisters and sat at meeting tables snorting enough coke to kill a moose, they were crack heads, and heroin hypes that sold dope on the corner.  They were gang bangers from Detroit.  They were filthy dirtbags that happened to rape a girl and kill a guy with a mullet because it was written in the 80's early 90's.  The classic take that makes sense only thru flashbacks, and until then you're wondering if he's a ghost or he can take all those bullets because he just shot up enough morphine to make a football team go numb.  Keep it black and white we don't need any industrial music sound tracks either.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bruce Vain

You know to me it would be like hey let's remake Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon. I'm sorry but this doesn't sit too well with me if you're remaking the first one. Now if you wanna make another crappy sequel like the others go on ahead but you don't touch the first one. That's Brandon's movie I'm sorry.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Green Skin

The sequels were unsuccessful, why would they think this would be any different.  They should just leave it alone instead of tarnishing a great film.

OzzerOzby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OzzerOzby

A new Crow movie? Will Ernie Hudson be in it?
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Media_Master

He looks very similar to the Joker.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @NightFang said:

"I love Brandon Lee but its time to move on. I think a "realistic, hard-edged" remake could work if there was a good storyline and cast, maybe they should get Johnny Depp to play him. " 

the squals bombed for various resons.but um an i like johnny for the most part but um hell no.reson the 1st movie did as well as it did was because brandon fought with the producers to keep the books feel. belive he or obar was quoted as saying it was 80 % of the book an if it wasnt for brandon it wouldnt have been even 50%. 

depp likes to rewite his parts .. like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Hell_(film)    

@Media_Master said:

"

He looks very similar to the Joker.

"

um crow look came way way before dark knight joker look if ya was meaning . 
    Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Harlekin

Let them remake it, because it can't be worst than those three other movies in the series.

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#20  Edited By EganTheVile1

If there is a new The Crow project, as a huge fan I say base it on one of the other Crow graphic novels, Lee owns Draven in the hearts of the fans, there are other Crows to work with, maybe Joshua from "Dead Time", If Draven is the focus, I'd watch an animated movie provided it was true to the original comics and not just a remake of the movie, I'm cool with sequels of the Crow featuring other characters, and the series was pretty cool, but I would never watch a remake

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    UnsolvedParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By UnsolvedParadox

The original was one of my favourite films, I really can't get behind this project in light of what happened to Brandon Lee. Fair or not, it's too much of a barrier for me to check it out.

Tiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tiffy

The reason why the directors keep making more and more crow films is because the first one was such a big hit.  The poeple love it for what it is: the story line and the goth scene.  Now, to make another film of the Crow and completly taking away the goth scene and probably not even sticking to the original story, THATS NOT THE CROW!!  It takes away EVERYTHING that the crow stands for!!  If they want to make that film, fine, BUT DO NOT TITLE IT 'THE CROW'!

Markus Kage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Markus Kage

I'm a fan of the original movie and it's sequel City of Angels. Those 2 were the only ones that I thought were worthy of the name. Salvation was good for just a random movie however. Gotta say, if they try to just copy the original movie it would be rather offending to me. It would almost be like spitting on Brandon Lee's grave, BUT if they were to take the ORIGINAL graphic novel and make a movie out of that, with all the twists and turns, then it would defiantly be one to see.

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @Markus Kage said:
    " I'm a fan of the original movie and it's sequel City of Angels. Those 2 were the only ones that I thought were worthy of the name. Salvation was good for just a random movie however. Gotta say, if they try to just copy the original movie it would be rather offending to me. It would almost be like spitting on Brandon Lee's grave, BUT if they were to take the ORIGINAL graphic novel and make a movie out of that, with all the twists and turns, then it would defiantly be one to see. "
    I agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.