Follow

The Crow

Character » The Crow appears in 99 issues.

"People once believed that when someone dies, a crow carries their soul to the land of the dead. But sometimes, something so bad happens that a terrible sadness is carried with it and the soul can't rest. Then sometimes, just sometimes, the crow can bring that soul back to put the wrong things right."

Crow Relaunch: Script Finished and onto Casting

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    In 1994, something special happened. A movie came out, based on a comic book character, and the movie wasn't awful. In fact, it was actually pretty good. Good enough to become what many would consider a "cult classic." The movie was The Crow, starring Brandon Lee. Then they were some sequels and a television show, but they were never held as high as that first film. CV has been bringing you news about this wonderfulness since back in December when the remake was announced.

Meredeth, over at io9, interviewed Crow relaunch producer, this past week, Ryan Kavanaugh, who not only mentioned that the script is completed, but that they are now looking to start casting, even though the film has still yet to be greenlit.

The script is great. We're very excited about it. The Crow is definitely going to happen, we're just getting all the pieces together right now. It's not officially greenlit, but it's going to happen... I think in a couple months we could have the package together for sure.

They have actors in mind, but at this point, nothing is set in stone. 

We're looking. We're in discussions....I think it's something cool, we're approaching it differently. It's really a whole relaunch of the franchise, much more of a dark superhero type. 

On a promising note, it's not only a relaunch, but it's also a re-imagining, even when it comes down to the make-up:

He'll have makeup, but it will be different. The best way to compare it is the first Batman and Batman Begins. In terms of their look and feel and character.  We're just relaunching it and making it with a much more present day character, someone more relatable to everybody.

It seems like we may be seeing something like "Crow Begins?" Is this even a good idea? There have been so many relaunches and remakes of movies that stand alone as classics on their own already: Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street,  and Death Race 2000. I don't think this reboot could live up to the original. I believe it's just that good. However, only time will tell.
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Marshal Victory

"He'll have makeup, but it will be different. The best way to compare it is the first Batman and Batman Begins. In terms of their look and feel and character.  We're just relaunching it and making it with a much more present day character, someone more relatable to everybody." 

Funny thing i got crow dvd for halloween , had seen it in movie theaters back in the day.It still has aged prety well other than the girl playing  a record. As some of the audiance now might not know what one is.Just as hollywood might not know how bad a idea this is. 

How releatable can a guy who died a violent death an comes back to life be for people any way?Noticed to how the comic wasnt sited as source as well.So its gona ba a take on a movie who was a take on a comic book.Most know copies of copies start to degrade in quality. 

Tho they will get none of my money ,I would wish good luck to them tho .They will need it.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Unnecessary unnecessary for the thousandth time unnecessary.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Some classics don't need to be touched. More importantly when you consider that someone died during the first's filming.

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By EisforExtinction

We have had a of relaunches over the last few years and it's made me realize that I like it more when the movie or comic owns up to the fact of the previous films. I love Grant Morrison because he takes Silver-Age Batman as canon. "This stuff is weird and pretty stupid but it still exists so let's use it."

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck

I just don't know.  I really dug the first movie.  I liked Brandon Lee (in the incredibly cheesy Rapid Fire).  It's tragic what happened to him during this movie.  He was also super excited about doing it.  I think that's part of why so many people are against another video.  But the same argument has gone on over someone else playing the Joker after Heath Ledger.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I could care less if someone plays the character, since Draven has been in 3 other movies (at least I think that was the same character). I just don't think there's any reason to remake a good film from 15 years ago.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By King Quisling

My question is will is actually be like the comic this time around. 

Sheep-Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Sheep-Kill

i say dont do a reboot.

WickedWays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By WickedWays

The original movie was a really influential part of my youth.  I remember that nearly every one of my friends had a Crow poster stuck to one of the walls in their rooms (right next to a Nirvana or Metallica poster).  The special effects are definitely dated by today's standards, but everything else about the movie still holds up.  I still feel a slight ache when I see Brandon Lee in this movie knowing he could've gone on to do bigger things since it was such a popular movie in my age group (I think I remember counting at least 30 kids in my high school dressed up as Eric Draven for Halloween the year that movie came out).  Besides the movie being great (I know it wasn't a perfect adaptation of the graphic novel, but I actually liked the movie more anyways), it also had the best movie soundtrack of all time, in my opinion.  NIN, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Violent Femmes, The Cure, Helmet, Pantera are just some of the bands that are on that amazing soundtrack.  I've watched the movie and listened to that soundtrack dozens of times and it always brings me back to the days of when I rocked out flannel, sunglasses at night, black Doc Marten boots, and obnoxiously long hair!    

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Media_Master

I guess we'll see how it all pans out later...

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrCipher
    @Marshal Victory:
    the record player was for mood and feel of the movie. By the time the original Crow was made, CDs were mainstream.
    Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan

Oh god... please no...
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrCipher

"We're looking. We're in discussions....I think it's something cool, we're approaching it differently. It's really a whole relaunch of the franchise, much more of a dark superhero type." 

Excuse me but I think we have plenty of those around (Batman, Wolverine, Spawn, Punisher), thanks but no thanks. And I'm pretty sure since he murdered a whole bunch of people in the movie (the first one is the only one I count as "real"), doesn't that make him a vigilante or a murderer, not a superhero, by definition, even if it was done out of revenge. Killing is not "good", revenge is not "good". Evil acts committed in response to evil acts do not make you a hero; they make you as bad as those who committed evil acts in the first place. Someone please let me know if anywhere in the comic series Draven or his Crow alter-ego were referred to as a "superhero".

And by the way, anytime a producer or film studio spokesperson uses the words "cool" and "franchise" in the same sentence, you can bet with confidence that the project is going to suck terribly (**cough, cough daredevil cough!**).
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@inferiorego said:
    "I could care less if someone plays the character, since Draven has been in 3 other movies (at least I think that was the same character). I just don't think there's any reason to remake a good film from 15 years ago. "

they were different charaters but they basically had the same m.o.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: Really? I didn't pay attention to any of the sequels, I saw them, but hated them... 

@MrCipher: another word to look out for: "stylized"
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Wow way to take a perfect movie and remake it that makes absolutely no sense. One of only three comic book movie to get the thumbs up from me.
    *shakes head in shame*

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrCipher
    @inferiorego:
    LOL very astute of you ego.
    Avatar image for ravaginghamster
    RavagingHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RavagingHamster

ah, crap. here's hoping they know what their doing.

crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crazywolf

I'm not at all optimistic about this either. Then again I consider myself a pessimist, skeptic and realist so I didn't have a positive teaction to this. Might watch this on DVD but I'm not going to spend money on it. Not expecting much from a remake of one of my all time favorites.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tyler Starke

It can't rain all the time

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By goldenkey

If they want to do it right they have to (dare I say it) keep it more like the comic and get away from the stupid goth feeling.  The book was a hell of a lot more ghetto and gritty then goth.  The characters were gang bangers and crack heads and hypes.  Much more street then the movies version.  Just because the guy wraps his slit wrists with electrical tape and puts on a leather  jacket doesn't the guy running around listening to Ministry and Front 2 Four 2
    Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By TheSavageAssasin
    @Omega Ray Jay said:
    " Unnecessary unnecessary for the thousandth time unnecessary. "
    Yep.The original was just too great.
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @MrCipher said:
    "@Marshal Victory: the record player was for mood and feel of the movie. By the time the original Crow was made, CDs were mainstream. "

crow was released in 1994 sure then you could buy cds an still find some albums on records.todays records are more of a novelty.but the comic was released in 1989 cds were released in 1982 .in any of those time frames . the girl would not have ben able to aford a cd player .it wasnt like buying a 10 buck player at walmart as it is now. 

think it was alsmot 2 years after (1996ish) that i seen the crow in theaters that a friend of mine had a cd player in his truck.cassette tapes were still popular even after the film.hell i had bought mettalica load on cassette in 1996 when it was released.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Marshal Victory said:
    " @MrCipher said:
    "@Marshal Victory: the record player was for mood and feel of the movie. By the time the original Crow was made, CDs were mainstream. "
    crow was released in 1994 sure then you could buy cds an still find some albums on records.todays records are more of a novelty.but the comic was released in 1989 cds were released in 1982 .in any of those time frames . the girl would not have ben able to aford a cd player .it wasnt like buying a 10 buck player at walmart as it is now.  think it was alsmot 2 years after (1996ish) that i seen the crow in theaters that a friend of mine had a cd player in his truck.cassette tapes were still popular even after the film.hell i had bought mettalica load on cassette in 1996 when it was released. "
    I have the Crow soundtrack on my ipod... I thought I'd throw that in there.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25  Edited By Darkchild

I still think this will NEVER be what the original was an is, BUT i will still see it. 

Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @inferiorego:
    ya thats sorta what i ment by some of the current veiwers now wouldnt get the record player. i pods an cell phones now carry more music than what most people had in their cd/cassette/record collections back then. 

now i just buy cd's cause if i want a mp3s ill rip it my self .but crows soundtrack probly is one of the top comic type movie sound tracks right up their with heavy metal music from the motion picture.which my brother bought on cassest when it came out. had one of the 1st walkmans in the area an he paid i think 150ish for it ( the walkman not the cassetter) . an i wore out that cassette as well.

yes im that old.hmm wonder if rappid fire is on dvd....
    drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By drawme

Simply no.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By NightFang3

We all loved the 1st Crow movie But I think it's about time we move on from that to something new and up-to-date. I also think that a reboot could work if done right and if it's gonna be like "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" then we should all be happy with it. As for casting, well I think Johnny Depp could pull it off.

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By grimreaper1980

as long as it isn't edward furlong

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By ReverseNegative

So, this is a REBOOT, not another sequel.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Love the first movie, the sequels were horrible and im not looking forward to the reboot just because either the actor(s) will be bad or the writing will be

qrs2013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

agree with ensabahnurx!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.