Watchmen Is Rated R For A Reason

Posted by G-Man (34123 posts) - - Show Bio
Those that have already read Watchmen know it's not a family-friendly book.  It is dark and gritty and gives a glimpse at the "ugliest sides of human behavior."  Actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays the Comedian who was involved in raping his teammate, the original Silk Spectre.  In a talk with MTV, Morgan had this to say:
“It was a three-day process shooting that particular scene, and it was hard.  It was three of the hardest days of filming I have ever had to do. It was really very violent.”
It's an important part of the story and shows the flawed nature of a man who is supposed to be a superhero.  It's not something that people want to see and there may be those that will protest the scene.  So will the average movie-goer be ready for the scene?
“I know certainly the fans of the novel are [ready] and now it’s a matter of reaching an audience that isn’t familiar with the novel,” said Morgan. “I think Zack is the guy who is going to stay true to the novel and be able to reach a main stream audience as well. If they are ready for it? I don’t know, we will see. It’s rated ‘R’ for a reason.”
Hopefully people going to see the movie will be aware of what exactly this movie is about.  It's not Spider-Man or Superman up there on the big screen.  "The Dark Knight" may have been...dark but not like this.
Staff
#1 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio

No they will probably be mad she has a baby with him willingly too

#2 Posted by G-Man (34123 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure there's a lot of people that will think this is just another cheerful superhero movie.  I wouldn't be surprised if some people brought their tiny kids even though it's rated R.

Staff
#3 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't see why they would think that even when I didn't read Watchmen and no what it was I heard the name and saw some pictures and just didn't think it was for kids

#4 Posted by G-Man (34123 posts) - - Show Bio

I worked in a movie theatre when I was in high school.  Maybe it was the location but I was always surprised that they'd bring their kids to R rated movies.  The theatre ended up making a policy that infants weren't allowed into R rated movies after 6 (with their parents).

Staff
#5 Posted by Mr.Voo the Doo (375 posts) - - Show Bio

Well those parents may learn the importance of the Film rating system, I've read the comics so a few ticked parents won't be a surprise

#6 Posted by DEADPOOL (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, does he really rape her in the movie? Didn't he fail in the comic? It has been a long time since I read it.

#7 Posted by King Saturn (224189 posts) - - Show Bio
Oooh... Thats Cool
#8 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"Oooh... Thats Cool
"

?!...
#9 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, but in the graphic novel he never succeeds in raping her so I fail to see how portraying an attempted rape in a movie is any worse than stuff in most movies today

#10 Posted by bioghost (1245 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
"King Saturn said:
"Oooh... Thats Cool
"

?!..."

i think he meant the raped part
#11 Posted by bioghost (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

why would anybody think this is goody too shoe hero movie like spiderman
look at the trailer. they are people begin burn alive in viteman of all place! since when anything nice came out there in movie these days? i will feel sorry for the kids that will see this movie with their parents and see something liked this and scream out loud in the theater!! man this will so runied my night.

#12 Posted by Shiryu (3491 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen is hardcore!

#13 Posted by Acheron (1458 posts) - - Show Bio
aztek the lost said:
"Uh, but in the graphic novel he never succeeds in raping her so I fail to see how portraying an attempted rape in a movie is any worse than stuff in most movies today"
And, he kinda gets the crap beat out of him, so it's not like it goes unpunished.
#14 Posted by Crazy_Eights (685 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant wait for this movie, i mean the scene yeah its a bad thing happening but MEH. Like AZtek said attempted rape so not so bad (wow that felt burn in hell worthy statement)

#15 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Acheron said:
"aztek the lost said:
"Uh, but in the graphic novel he never succeeds in raping her so I fail to see how portraying an attempted rape in a movie is any worse than stuff in most movies today"
And, he kinda gets the crap beat out of him, so it's not like it goes unpunished."
exactly.

but anyways, if anyone thinks this is going to be a "happy" movie, then I am ashamed of the public's ability to know what movie they are going to watch...Watchmen is probably the least-cheerful book I've ever read, don't think I smiled once.
#16 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
aztek the lost said:
"Acheron said:
"aztek the lost said:
And, he kinda gets the crap beat out of him, so it's not like it goes unpunished."
exactly.

but anyways, if anyone thinks this is going to be a "happy" movie, then I am ashamed of the public's ability to know what movie they are going to watch...Watchmen is probably the least-cheerful book I've ever read, don't think I smiled once."

Not even during the midget toilet killing?! What are you, an android or something. lol
#17 Posted by G-Man (34123 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess I often see the potential for stupidity in the world.  Yes of course it's not a family fun movie (which is why it's not being released in the summer).   But The Dark Knight was pretty dark.  I saw it at a midnight showing so I'm not sure but I'd imagine there were all sorts of kids that went and saw that, especially at matinees.  That being said, the trailer for Watchmen was attached to the beginning of the movie.  Basically everyone that saw The Dark Knight saw that trailer (that's also when a lot of Watchmen talk around here).  So all those parents that don't pay attention to what their young children do will probably think it's a safe movie.  They won't watch the trailer.  They'll just pick up that it's based on a comic book.  Maybe I'm being too drastic.  Maybe I should have more faith in the public.  But look at all the people trying to sue over 'accidentally' buying violent video games for them.

Staff
#18 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
aztek the lost said:
"Acheron said:
"aztek the lost said:
exactly.

but anyways, if anyone thinks this is going to be a "happy" movie, then I am ashamed of the public's ability to know what movie they are going to watch...Watchmen is probably the least-cheerful book I've ever read, don't think I smiled once."
hush, you can't even see it ;P
#19 Posted by Tainted-Cell (299 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
Maybe I'm being too drastic.  Maybe I should have more faith in the public.
No, you're right. The bright side is, day care centers won't be able to bring in a bus-load of little kids because of the R rating. That ruined "The Incredible Hulk" for me, as I went to a matinee... kids were laughing and giggling at the most somber of scenes. I attended an IMAX showing of "The Dark Knight" - I guess people figure that if you're going to pay that much to see a movie, you had best practice good theatre etiquette.

Perhaps the more that they show of Doctor Manhattan naked (blurred as it is) in trailers and tv spots, the more parents will catch on. Sexuality is usually the first red flag for the mind of the average parent. Pushing the envelope in tv spots would work out well for everyone.
#20 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

don't complain about your hulk experience...

I had next to me a little kid who started to scream "look mommie, it's hulk! see him? see him?" every time Bruce Banner (not even Hulk) appeared on the screen

sigh

#21 Posted by xstefanx (16 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"I guess I often see the potential for stupidity in the world.  Yes of course it's not a family fun movie (which is why it's not being released in the summer).   But The Dark Knight was pretty dark.  I saw it at a midnight showing so I'm not sure but I'd imagine there were all sorts of kids that went and saw that, especially at matinees.  That being said, the trailer for Watchmen was attached to the beginning of the movie.  Basically everyone that saw The Dark Knight saw that trailer (that's also when a lot of Watchmen talk around here).  So all those parents that don't pay attention to what their young children do will probably think it's a safe movie.  They won't watch the trailer.  They'll just pick up that it's based on a comic book.  Maybe I'm being too drastic.  Maybe I should have more faith in the public.  But look at all the people trying to sue over 'accidentally' buying violent video games for them."
Sad but true, at first I thought no, the parents wont really let their kids go to this after having seen the last trailer and paying any bit of attention to it. "And I will whisper, No." just seems to be the thing that sticks into my mind the most showing how dark the novel was and movie will be. But you're correct parents might not have seen this, and even if they did doesn't mean that they were paying attention to what they were watching. While The Dark Knight was a dark movie, it was also really really cheesie, which to me is geared toward the family viewers, and if they are putting this scene in the movie that means to me that they are trying to stay away from that aspect which I am very happy about. Either way I think I want to try and see this in IMax just to avoid having to deal with kids/random clapping that interrupt the viewing experience.
#22 Posted by razorstar (1 posts) - - Show Bio

i was under the impession watchmen was a traditional "superhero" movie. so i grabbed to the trade paper back after the first chapter i was going the hell kinda comic book is this!!!.. then i realised this is not the film WB is promoteing on TV (awsome heroes amazing action... obviously some cool villain is gonna get thrashed) but they don't wanna show the villain... but in all actuality there is no villain its the dark side of good men and what they deal when they have an ungreatful public and superheroes like the comedian who is more anti-hero and down right nasty.

i wonder how many people will go into this movie goin oh this should be good i love superhero movies and i know nothing about this book.. then 35+ mins into the movie when the comedian attacks the original silk specter... in the comic he had her on the ground and almost naked (mind you with what she wears is is classified as half naked already) before he was stopped... audiance people are gonna be goin what the bleeding hell is this....

you take your kid to a comic book movie rated R your gonna get what you paid for this go around... if parents are reading this use your best judgement its rated R which means its violent and nasty and tons of nudity!!!

#23 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
razorstar said:
"

i was under the impession watchmen was a traditional "superhero" movie. so i grabbed to the trade paper back after the first chapter i was going the hell kinda comic book is this!!!.. then i realised this is not the film WB is promoteing on TV (awsome heroes amazing action... obviously some cool villain is gonna get thrashed) but they don't wanna show the villain... but in all actuality there is no villain its the dark side of good men and what they deal when they have an ungreatful public and superheroes like the comedian who is more anti-hero and down right nasty.

i wonder how many people will go into this movie goin oh this should be good i love superhero movies and i know nothing about this book.. then 35+ mins into the movie when the comedian attacks the original silk specter... in the comic he had her on the ground and almost naked (mind you with what she wears is is classified as half naked already) before he was stopped... audiance people are gonna be goin what the bleeding hell is this....

you take your kid to a comic book movie rated R your gonna get what you paid for this go around... if parents are reading this use your best judgement its rated R which means its violent and nasty and tons of nudity!!!

"
PSSSST! Everyone knows that parents don't read comics.
#24 Posted by TwilightThunder (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's hope the shoot scene in vietnam where the comedian kills the woman doesn't affect the box office revenue.

(the passion of the christ was R, and it was A HUGE SUCCESS, controversial, yeah, but successful

#25 Posted by King Saturn (224189 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
"King Saturn said:
"Oooh... Thats Cool
"

?!..."
Raw Violence and Action... You Dont Love It ?
#26 Posted by The Psyentist (17354 posts) - - Show Bio

The Passion of the Christ was about Jesus. The reason it was successful was because "all" the Christians went to see it, to behold a more realistic portrayal of his awful death. So that movie held a profound significance for most people. It's not just an exciting movie to go see.

But I don't think it's violence that destroys revenue. It's the plots necessity for that violence/sexuality/profanity that determines it's worth to the viewers. Is it needed or is it just to be edgy...then only "edgy" folks will dare to see it.

#27 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"gunswordfist said:
"King Saturn said:
"Oooh... Thats Cool
"

?!..."
Raw Violence and Action... You Dont Love It ?"
Oh Okay
#28 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
razorstar said:
"

tons of nudity!!!

"
there's hardly any nudity unless you count blue man butt...of course the movie will probably have more than the novel
#29 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
xstefanx said:
"G-Man said:
"I guess I often see the potential for stupidity in the world.  Yes of course it's not a family fun movie (which is why it's not being released in the summer).   But The Dark Knight was pretty dark.  I saw it at a midnight showing so I'm not sure but I'd imagine there were all sorts of kids that went and saw that, especially at matinees.  That being said, the trailer for Watchmen was attached to the beginning of the movie.  Basically everyone that saw The Dark Knight saw that trailer (that's also when a lot of Watchmen talk around here).  So all those parents that don't pay attention to what their young children do will probably think it's a safe movie.  They won't watch the trailer.  They'll just pick up that it's based on a comic book.  Maybe I'm being too drastic.  Maybe I should have more faith in the public.  But look at all the people trying to sue over 'accidentally' buying violent video games for them."
Sad but true, at first I thought no, the parents wont really let their kids go to this after having seen the last trailer and paying any bit of attention to it. "And I will whisper, No." just seems to be the thing that sticks into my mind the most showing how dark the novel was and movie will be. But you're correct parents might not have seen this, and even if they did doesn't mean that they were paying attention to what they were watching. While The Dark Knight was a dark movie, it was also really really cheesie, which to me is geared toward the family viewers, and if they are putting this scene in the movie that means to me that they are trying to stay away from that aspect which I am very happy about. Either way I think I want to try and see this in IMax just to avoid having to deal with kids/random clapping that interrupt the viewing experience."
how is The Dark knight family friendly?

Look kids, the guy just blew a hospital and organized one of the few positive role models get scarred for life and become completely insane, proving that you can all become criminals...
#30 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

I called it the minute i knew a movie version was going to be made

#31 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"aztek the lost said:
"Acheron said:
"aztek the lost said:
exactly.

hush, you can't even see it ;P"
actually here in America you just need someone 18 or over approving your watching it...and I've got a few people who will do that for me (if they even ask in this town)
#32 Posted by Sylver (1554 posts) - - Show Bio
sigh..... must they include that scene? it's hardly neccessary....in the comic, they don't even show it, they just show the speech bubble of her yelling and that's it. ugh.....movie makers....  =-[
#33 Posted by Snake Eyes (101 posts) - - Show Bio

>:)

#34 Posted by Spider-Pantrelli (1731 posts) - - Show Bio

Do'h... I'm only 13...

#35 Posted by ArtJoker (521 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is a shame that a lot of people who don't read comics, view it as a something less than it actually is. i think that is why a lot of people generalize a superhero movie or comic as a goody two shoe good guy always prevails over evil, when today it isn't like that. I am very happy that Watchmen is rated R because that means it wasn't diluted to become something that it isn't. There are some movies that are just for adult audiences, sorta like there are movies that are specifically targeted for kids. It will be frustrating to see parents take their little kids to see watchmen because it will only take away from the expirience because the little kid won't know whats going on, therefore they won't be able to fully appreciate how great the story is.

#36 Posted by FullMechaGaara (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey , im english can someone please tell me the equilivent to an R rated movie

#37 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
FullMechaGaara said:
"Hey , im english can someone please tell me the equilivent to an R rated movie
"

An R-rated motion picture, in the view of the Rating Board, contains some adult material. An R-rated motion picture may include adult themes, adult activity, hard language, intense or persistent violence, sexually-oriented nudity, drug abuse or other elements, so that parents are counseled to take this rating very seriously. Children under 17 are not allowed to attend R-rated motion pictures unaccompanied by a parent or adult guardian. Parents are strongly urged to find out more about R-rated motion pictures in determining their suitability for their children. Generally, it is not appropriate for parents to bring their young children with them to R-rated motion pictures.
#38 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio
ArtJoker said:
"I think it is a shame that a lot of people who don't read comics, view it as a something less than it actually is. i think that is why a lot of people generalize a superhero movie or comic as a goody two shoe good guy always prevails over evil, when today it isn't like that. I am very happy that Watchmen is rated R because that means it wasn't diluted to become something that it isn't.
I agree, Dark Knight showed that Evil doesnt always lose, and this movie will show that....well no one wins, Evil does win when you think about it. I for one want to hear the fnon-reader reaction and more so see the look on their faces at the end.
#39 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

It was one of the darkest parts of this comic.. i must admit i nearly gave up on it when i read it..

If i had not known it was in the book, it would ahve really messed with me in the flim, but i see the point to it

#40 Posted by Grim-Zero (70 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Gman, they did bring like 6 year olds when I saw it. Like 10 people walked out of the theatre and started yelling at the clerks about how this movie wasnt family friendly, and they should of warned them... Then I yelled out, IT SAYS RATED R!!! and the entire place laughed. It was awesome.

#41 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

This one woman brought her 6 kids with her.  But when it got to them doin it in that jet, she had all of them quietly get up in a single line, and she got the hell outta there. 

#42 Posted by Kairan1979 (16746 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen some people bringing kids to Watchmen. Most of them left after the scene in Comedian's apartment. I guess they expected to see another Spider-Man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.