THE BOYS Movie in the Works

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

When artist Darick Robertson was on our podcast a couple weeks ago, he talked a little about the possible big screen adaptation of his and Garth Ennis’ series THE BOYS.  Now, we’ve got some words straight from the project’s screenwriters and they’re looking to make it just as shocking as the Dynamite comic.

Picture this in your theater's line of posters.
     Picture this in your theater's line of posters.

Might the screenplay be classified now?
     Might the screenplay be classified now?

Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi are two names that are going to be a lot more familiar to fans after April. That’s because they’re the screenwriting pair that scripted the upcoming CLASH OF THE TITANS remake, which is directed by Louis Leterrier (who, of course, directed 2008’s THE INCREDIBLE HULK). They’re writing the movie for Columbia Pictures and the whole deal’s been set up by Kickstart Entertainment, who also produced the WANTED movie and has been trying to get an adaptation of another Ennis property, PREACHER, off the ground for a few years.

If Hay & Manfreid’s enthusiasm for the property were any greater, it might be able to power a city block.

As Phil Hay enthused to Superherohype recently…

"That's one that's like a total dream project for us because we're such huge fans of the book and of Garth Ennis… It's just been amazing. Neal Moretz, the producer over there [at Columbia], and the studio have been great because they actually really do get what makes the comic book special, and we're talking to directors on that now, too, so that would be just amazing, and it's something that's very close to our hearts."

Matt Manfredi also talked about the challenge of balancing respect for the material while still translating it properly...

“When we began, we got on the phone and spent a lot of time talking to [Garth Ennis]… [He’s an] awesome guy and he kind of gave us his blessing to take it where we needed to take it… He said, 'Don't be too precious. Feel free to... if you need to kill someone, kill someone.' Obviously we love love love the books, and the overarching storyline had yet to be finished, so we said, 'Well, we think this is where it's going, are we right? Is this going to happen to this character?' and he was like, 'You're close, don't worry about it. Do what you have to do.' It wasn't in a dismissive way, it was in a very generous way."

Remember this?
     Remember this?

As if their “comics connection” wasn’t solidified enough, the duo have also been working on an adaptation of Dark Horse’s 2000 series R.I.P.D. which mixed cops with monsters.

I think the performance of KICK-ASS will have a great influence on the future of this project -- given their similar ultra-violent approaches to spoofing tights 'n capes. Not only will that influence be in regard to whether or not the film will be made, but it'll also be in respect to the question of how literally the superhero element will be retained. Mark Millar talked about how the producers of WANTED liked the comic's central concept but chose to excise the various “in-jokes” about supervillains  because they thought mainstream audiences wouldn't get it. In contrast then, he and Matthew Vaughn have gotten to do KICK-ASS basically the same as the comic. So that movie's success might determine if the BOYS movie will still see the Boys bumping heads with superheroes or, perhaps, more generalized fantasy characters.

Looks like he's curious too.
     Looks like he's curious too.

I turn the spotlight on you now, oh dangerous Comic Vine community.   How would you do a BOYS movie? What do you want to see? And should Simon Pegg star?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Yaujtapool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Yaujtapool

Damn..... this is awesome

Jeffmoocow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jeffmoocow

There is no one else that could play  Wee Hughie than Pegg.

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MemnochZERO

I'm really hoping Kick-Ass is a success given it could solidify the visual tone of The Boys movie as opposed to what happened with Wanted (which admittedly is a fun movie, but the removal of super people froma  Boys movie would suck).  The Boys is a superior book and it's got the potential to be an amazing film if done with the same bold fearless direction that's made it (and Garth Ennis' other work) so popular. As for Simon Pegg, he's a lot like Samuel L Jackson as Ultimate Nick Fury: if you can't get him to play the character that was based on him, don't bother making the film! 

I hope they can get him, though. If they do, hopefully they can also try and land Clive Owen for Billy Butcher, Cyrill Raffaelli for the Frenchman and Ving Rhames for Mother's Milk.  

I can't wait to see what happens with this.
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By welshguy

Whilst the Boys is awesome, a movie would be a hard sell I reckon. A group of bad-ass CIA agents (all pretty much with mental problems) with super-powers beating the living Ricky Gervais (cockney ryhming slang for pooh for the curious) out of superheroes who aren't all that heroric is, in comic form, brilliant. But in a movie adaptation, it may end up like that cobblers Wanted (no superheroes, generic secret society blah blah) and have to be toned down (can't really imagine the Hamster and Blarney's Cock's bum making it in). 
    Well, never know. Could turn out pretty faithful to the comic in which case hurrah. This reminds me to get those Boys trade paper backs I'm missing

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Benzo

simon pegg should definitely be in this!!!!! 

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Jotham
    @welshguy said:
    " Whilst the Boys is awesome, a movie would be a hard sell I reckon. A group of bad-ass CIA agents (all pretty much with mental problems) with super-powers beating the living Ricky Gervais (cockney ryhming slang for pooh for the curious) out of superheroes who aren't all that heroric is, in comic form, brilliant. But in a movie adaptation, it may end up like that cobblers Wanted (no superheroes, generic secret society blah blah) and have to be toned down (can't really imagine the Hamster and Blarney's Cock's bum making it in). Well, never know. Could turn out pretty faithful to the comic in which case hurrah. This reminds me to get those Boys trade paper backs I'm missing "
    How is Ricky Gervais slang for pooh?
    XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By XRiskyX

I'm simply afraid that I have expectations so high they can't be fullfilled by a simple movie, that's all. The Boys is one of my fav comics and I want this to be REALLY good (but I nevertheless want to see it at all costs). Hope it doesn't take too much time till I can watch it.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NightFang3

I'm really looking forward to this!

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Gerard Butler as Butcher!

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By welshguy
    @Jotham:
    I'm being facetious. Apologies if you're a fan of his. I hate him and his brand of "comedy" but of course that is just my personal opinion
    DeathinFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By DeathinFire
    @MemnochZERO: You called it.  Perfect casting.

@Risky: I share the same fears.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Jotham
    @welshguy said:
    " @Jotham: I'm being facetious. Apologies if you're a fan of his. I hate him and his brand of "comedy" but of course that is just my personal opinion "
    I'm not a fan of his, I was just wondering how it was rhyming slang. I can't think of any applicable word his name rhymes with.
    steven_arnold1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By steven_arnold1

I really want the movie to work but i can't see it happening.

the boys has quickly become one of my fav comic books. I loved the comic that much some friends and I made the first issue into a short film for a uni project. hope people will watch it and let us no what u think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xt0zAD_4-k

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.