Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Malchemical returns to his old, evil ways to terrorize Super Duper, forcing Wee Hughie to intervene.

The Good

Robertson finally gets to cut loose with Malchemical and I was seriously digging all the monstrous forms this evil elemental took. The whole point of the issue is "hitting the fan" after both the characters and readers have been lulled into a false sense of security, and the art's makes a suitably-dramatic shift to match Super Duper's "rude awakening." I was also impressed by the amount of emotions Ennis was able to convey in single scenes here.  Somehow, you've got this genuinely touching character turn in Wee Hughie helping these "children" (even though they're still capes) as well as a genuinely tense confrontation with this seemingly-unstoppable foe, while the book still maintains its signature black humor. That's really no small feat.

The Bad

As much as I love Ennis' dialogue, some of the phone conversations ran a little long, especially when the other members of the Boys were trading monologues over this whole fiasco. Also, I understand that Hughie's supposed to be the rookie on the team (and it was addressed by the other characters) but it still seems like an exceptionally-boneheaded move for an agent in this universe to try taking a powerful enemy like Malchemical on in a fist fight.

The Verdict - 4/5

I've had my issues with this title covering familiar ground when it came to satirizing superheroes, but I was too caught up in the characters and the story to mind any of that with this issue. As I said, there's some real drama to Hughie's desperate attempt to save Super Duper and, barring the small issues I mention in "The Bad", this continues to be one of the best executed books on the shelves right now. Between this and the Lone Ranger, it's clear that Dynamite's offering a superior catalog of titles.
    blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By blade hunter

I struggle to remember any poor issuses of the boys, love them all.

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Benzo

one of my favourite titles!!! :P

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By longbowhunter

Anyone else notice the price jump on this issue? Right at the end of the storyline too. Bastards!
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ForbushBug

I've enjoyed this arc tremendously. Tension is building amongst the Boys while Super Duper may be idiots, it's good seeing someone in a costume with some soul besides Annie January.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.