Follow

"Detective Comics" The Black Mirror

Story arc »

There's no place like Gotham City, an entity in itself that twists and contorts the lives of those who try so desperately to protect it. Both Dick Grayson and Commissioner Gordon must try to stay focused as Gotham tests their moral fibers.

Should I buy Batman - The Black Mirror?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mushir

I really want to buy The Black Mirror but I'm not entirely sure if I should. You see, Long Halloween and Year One are the only Batman comics I've read so far. I have The Dark Knight Rises and I plan on start reading that one tonight. My concern is that I might feel lost going into this book because of my lack of knowledge of the Batman series. I have yet to read anything in which Dick Grayson is Batman.

What I want to know from those who have read it is do they do a good job at introducing the different characters? Do I need prior knowledge of some of the characters to understand the story? Also, are there any books should absolutely read before delving into The Black Mirror? I'm still fairly new to comics, so I thought it could helpful to ask some experts on Comic Vine! :)

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Superguy0009e

@Mushir: i havent read it yet either ( i am also deciding whether to get it or not), but I have been told that this is like the Year One/ Long Halloween of our generation. If you need to catch up on anything with Dick Grayson Batman, I say read the Batman and Robin series or just search the website

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By TheOptimist

My gut instinct screams yes.

To address your concerns... it doesn't overly focus on introducing the standard characters... but really, the only ones of note are Dick Grayson, Commissioner Gordon and (slightly) Barbara Gordon. From that point, there is enough introduction to the pertinent pieces of their story where you shouldn't be lost, and they fit appropriately with what Snyder was constructing with his story. I wouldn't use it as an "Origin & Introduction" read, but the fact that you know that Dick Grayson was Batman is about all you really needed for that piece of the puzzle. You could read the introduction to Dick as Batman, but it doesn't really add to the impact of the story, nor is it a necessity really. It is a pretty thrilling story, can operate without excessive need for introduction... I reaffirm my gut instinct. You're fine to pick it up without anything else.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#5  Edited By kartron
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mushir

Read the article and definitely picking it up now! Will also be buying The Killing Joke and Hush. Seem like they're quite important Batman books. Read Long Halloween and Watchmen recently and I'm already a fan of Jeph Loeb and Alan Moore, so I've high hopes for TKJ and Hush!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.