Follow

The Bionic Man

Character » The Bionic Man appears in 231 issues.

Vietnam veteran Colonel Steve Austin experienced a fatale accident after test piloting a new aircraft for NASA. Eventually he was "rebuilt" with bionic limbs in a six million dollar operation by the OSI and became their secret agent.

Kevin Smith & Dynamite Entertainment Launch The Bionic Man

• 55 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

The Six Million Dollar Man was a television show that aired from 1974 to 1978. It dealt with an astronaut who barely survived a crash. His body was rebuilt and he became the first bionic man. His right arm, legs and eye were replaced with bionic parts. He then went on different adventures each week.

Dynamite Entertainment has given us word that The Bionic Man and The Bionic Woman have been added to their roster of licensed properties. After the success of collaborating with Kevin Smith on the Green Hornet, they've joined once again with the creative team that brought the flagship series to fans: Phil Hester, Jonathan Lau and Alex Ross on covers. The Bionic Man will be based on the Universal TV series.

I actually recall watching Lee Majors play the role. My strongest memory is the Bionic Man facing Bigfoot. For some reason, Bigfoot was a big deal in the 70s. Watch this clip to see Steve Austin (no, not the wrestler) in action and how cool and calm he is when confronting the giant beast.

But don't just take my word on how exciting this will be. Here's what the creative team involved has to say:

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    True story: when I turned in a script for The Six Million Dollar Man back in '98, there was an exec who dismissed it as being more like a comic book than a movie. It's an honor to head back into the trenches with the same creative team at Dynamite that made my Green Hornet script so readable and fun. It makes me moist.

-Kevin Smith

I'm thrilled to help bring Kevin's unique vision for Steve Austin and company. Fans of the original will find all the classic elements they long for, while those hungry for new elements will get a healthy dose of bionic action for the 21st century.

-Phil Hester

I'm one of those kids who grew up with The Six Million Dollar Man toys all over my house. I still prize them as one of the favorite parts of my youth for the amazing variety of things that Steve Austin could use or fight against. The Six Million Dollar Man is one of the coolest original superhero properties invented for television.

-Alex Ross

The obvious question is what has inflation done to the six million dollar price tag in repairing him? The Bionic Man will launch in August 2011 and The Bionic Woman in 2012.

SandmanEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SandmanEsq

This should be ... uh ... interesting?
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Caligula

this is going to be awesome. Love Kevin Smith.

Ult_Windsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ult_Windsor

intresting , bringing a classic back

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jordanstine

After almost 40 years, he's still just worth $6 Million?

You'd think by today's economy, they'll inflate his name to maybe the $37 Million Dollar Man.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

"its makes me moist" LMAO

This should be pretty cool
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By IrishX

Bigfoot was a big deal in the 80's too..... remember Harry and the Hendersons?!

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Out_of_Space

I don't find it so interesting.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wattup

I don't want to sound like a troll or anything but is Kevin Smith actually a good comic book writer?

I ask because I've read his putrid Batman stuff. It's so onion, it makes me cry.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TDK_1997

We will see

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Green Skin

This may have been a great premise for a series back in the 70's but not today.  There's really nothing too special about a guy with a few robotic parts.  If this didn't have Kevin Smith attached to it, I don't think too many people would care.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @Wattup said:
    "
                    I don't want to sound like a troll or anything but is Kevin Smith actually a good comic book writer? I ask because I've read his putrid Batman stuff. It's so onion, it makes me cry.
                "

Yeah was wondering same thing.Hes got a rep for being late to.Thought after his Red State movie melt down anouncement people were staying clear of him to?
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Caligula
    @Wattup said:
    " I don't want to sound like a troll or anything but is Kevin Smith actually a good comic book writer? I ask because I've read his putrid Batman stuff. It's so onion, it makes me cry. "
    his Batman stuff is good.

people seem to forget it's out of continuity for a reason.
    AFArtist1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AFArtist1973

I think this will be an interesting take on the character.  I sure hope that it outlasts the recent Bionic Woman series.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

That looks awesome! He look sort of Terminator-ish.
    Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wattup
    @Caligula said:
    " @Wattup said:
    " I don't want to sound like a troll or anything but is Kevin Smith actually a good comic book writer? I ask because I've read his putrid Batman stuff. It's so onion, it makes me cry. "
    his Batman stuff is good.people seem to forget it's out of continuity for a reason. "
    Is the reason it's out of continuity because it's so bad?

Nothing like a smilin' Dark Knight reminiscing about the time he peed himself during one of the character's most signature moments.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Caligula
    @Wattup said:
    " @Caligula said:
    " @Wattup said:
    his Batman stuff is good.people seem to forget it's out of continuity for a reason. "
    Is the reason it's out of continuity because it's so bad?Nothing like a smilin' Dark Knight reminiscing about the time he peed himself during one of the character's most signature moments. "
    No it's out of Continuity so the writer can take chances and do something different with the characters. If it was in main continuity that Bruce pissed himself I'd be mad as hell. But It wasn't, people have to learn to stop imposing the views on Alternative stories. Things don't have to be the same old stuff time and again. I like to see risks taken.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Decept-O

This is incredible.  Yup, how I recall the Bigfoot showdown with the Bionic Man.   It actually scared me, that scene with Bigfoot and the rotating....background...thing.  Oh, well. 

Alex Ross covers to boot, so hopefully this will be great.  I have enjoyed the comics which Phil Hester has written, so I will check this out. 

Much as I love animals and all, I just don't know if they will use the Bionic Dog?   

I also keep reading rumors on the interwebby about a Bionic Man movie.  Wonder if that will ever come about as well?

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tonis

oh man, this is such KILLER news.

Must be kismet, I just finished watching a marathon of the 6 Millions Dollar Man last week with all the bigfoot episodes. Those were my favorites too.

I wish I still had my oversized action figures of Steve, Bigfoot, and the dude who could change faces :)

Awesome news, Thanks G-Man
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Caligula
    @Decept-O said:
    "

This is incredible.  Yup, how I recall the Bigfoot showdown with the Bionic Man.   It actually scared me, that scene with Bigfoot and the rotating....background...thing.  Oh, well. 

Alex Ross covers to boot, so hopefully this will be great.  I have enjoyed the comics which Phil Hester has written, so I will check this out. 

Much as I love animals and all, I just don't know if they will use the Bionic Dog?   

I also keep reading rumors on the interwebby about a Bionic Man movie.  Wonder if that will ever come about as well?

"
    I don't know if someone else will pick it up. Because Smith said He wouldn't do it. Because it'd be 90 minutes of the bionic man cowering behind a rock making fart jokes.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

Then Steve Austin hides behind a rock!

Anyone who watches Kevin Smith's Q&A's would get that joke :/
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Caligula
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " Then Steve Austin hides behind a rock!

Anyone who watches Kevin Smith's Q&A's would get that joke :/
    "
    Already been tapped.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Decept-O
    @Caligula:
    Guess I didn't read this correctly.  So Phil Hester won't be writing?   :(
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Caligula
    @Decept-O said:
    " @Caligula:Guess I didn't read this correctly.  So Phil Hester won't be writing?   :( "
    I was talking about the Movie prospect.

It was originally pitched to Smith.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Decept-O
    @Caligula:
    OK. 
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Kevin Smith shouldn't be taking on new projects when he still has Widening Gyre to finish. God. Damn. It.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula said:
    " @Wattup said:
    " @Caligula said:
    " @Wattup said:
    Is the reason it's out of continuity because it's so bad?Nothing like a smilin' Dark Knight reminiscing about the time he peed himself during one of the character's most signature moments. "
    No it's out of Continuity so the writer can take chances and do something different with the characters. If it was in main continuity that Bruce pissed himself I'd be mad as hell. But It wasn't, people have to learn to stop imposing the views on Alternative stories. Things don't have to be the same old stuff time and again. I like to see risks taken. "
    Is it out of continuity though? It's in continuity with his Green Arrow run which is in continuity, so I always assumed his Batman stuff WAS in continuity. It's all sort of fuzzy.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Caligula
    @The Mighty Monarch said:
    " @Caligula said:
    " @Wattup said:
    " @Caligula said:
    " @Wattup said:
    No it's out of Continuity so the writer can take chances and do something different with the characters. If it was in main continuity that Bruce pissed himself I'd be mad as hell. But It wasn't, people have to learn to stop imposing the views on Alternative stories. Things don't have to be the same old stuff time and again. I like to see risks taken. "
    Is it out of continuity though? It's in continuity with his Green Arrow run which is in continuity, so I always assumed his Batman stuff WAS in continuity. It's all sort of fuzzy. "
    it's non canon
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula said:
    " @The Mighty Monarch said:
    " @Caligula said:
    " @Wattup said:
    " @Caligula said:
    " @Wattup said:
    Is it out of continuity though? It's in continuity with his Green Arrow run which is in continuity, so I always assumed his Batman stuff WAS in continuity. It's all sort of fuzzy. "
    it's non canon "
    Is that confirmed somewhere?
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Caligula
    @The Mighty Monarch:

It's been confirmed by DC in their listings on their website. And Smith has commented on it being a great relief to be able to work on Batman outside of continuity because he enjoys taking liberties.
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula: In a way that bums me out because I'd love to see Onomatopoeia around more.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Caligula
    " @Caligula: In a way that bums me out because I'd love to see Onomatopoeia around more. "
    that's one of my favorite things about smith's batman, is the fact that he uses guys like Baron Blitzkrieg, Maxie Zeus, and Onomatopoeia
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula: And of course the fact that he created Onomatopoeia. Such an awesome and awesomely mysterious character.
    And the plot twist at the end of the first half of Widening Gyre blew my mind.
    Which is why I'm not too happy that he's investing in a new project WHEN WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHEN TO EXPECT THE SECOND HALF OF WIDENING GYRE.
    Ugh.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Caligula
    " @Caligula: And of course the fact that he created Onomatopoeia. Such an awesome and awesomely mysterious character.
    And the plot twist at the end of the first half of Widening Gyre blew my mind.
    Which is why I'm not too happy that he's investing in a new project WHEN WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHEN TO EXPECT THE SECOND HALF OF WIDENING GYRE.
    Ugh.
    "
    i'm used to it. if you think being a Smith fan is rough try being a Frank Miller fan... Guy hurts my soul.

been waiting on the second part of All-Star Batman and Robin forever. He also promised a 300 prequel called Xerxes, which we still haven't seen.
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula: I got into All Star Batman and Robin later, but I've still been waiting about a year or so? So I kind of know what you mean. Although I've only been into American comics for about 2 years now, but I fell into DC hard, so I'm already integrated in pretty well.

And speaking of delays; where's Batwoman? What happened to Batman: Odyssey? Or Batman Europa? Or Static?
    Sigh…
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Caligula
    " @Caligula: I got into All Star Batman and Robin later, but I've still been waiting about a year or so? So I kind of know what you mean. Although I've only been into American comics for about 2 years now, but I fell into DC hard, so I'm already integrated in pretty well.

And speaking of delays; where's Batwoman? What happened to Batman: Odyssey? Or Batman Europa? Or Static?
    Sigh…
    "
    I'm used to it.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

After his run on Green Hornet, I think I may be willing to try this...

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Caligula

good to see so many people interested in this.

I thought a lot of people hated Smith (most of them Unjustly).
    And
    I didn't know how well a Six Million Dollar Man comic would go over with the public.

Just nice to see people interested in something that isn't Marvel/DC run of the mill garbage.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By NightFang3  Online

I'll give it a try.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#39  Edited By ImperiousRix

I've never watched the TV series, but if it's got Kevin Smith and dudes with robotic body parts in it, sign me up.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nova`Prime`

This sounds cool, but dude Dynamite really will license just about anything.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PowerHerc

I loved the show when I was a kid! 

This is great news! 

I'll definitely get this!

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Caligula

I just wonder if they are going to try and do the sound effect in written form or not, if you watched the show you know the sound effect I'm talking about.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

#43  Edited By shawn87

sounds awesome...i'll definitely check this out

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Eyz

Sounds like they found the Green Hornet replacement for the upcoming year :P

Though I'd prefer they went for "The Six Million Dollar Man" as the title :/
    It would sound more iconic and kinda reminiscent of old pulp heroes.

Marcovaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Marcovaldo
    @Eyz said:
    Though I'd prefer they went for "The Six Million Dollar Man" as the title :/It would sound more iconic and kinda reminiscent of old pulp heroes. "

Agree.

It was my favorite TV show back on the '70s. Looking forward for this comic!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#46  Edited By gmanfromheck

@Caligula: I will find out. Stay tuned...

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Caligula
    @G-Man said:
    "

@Caligula: I will find out. Stay tuned...

"
    Nuhnuhunuhununuhn(I can't do it proper in written form)
    I think the series has a lot of promise. I mean Dynamite revived the Green Hornet, I hope they pull the same off for Steve.
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @Wattup: he's really not. His Daredevil run was good and so was his Green Arrow stuff, but that was it. Clerks the comic book was just more clerks, which was good, but not really in the comic booky sense. The only thing I remember from it is the "loose comics" joke and the Clerks "Deleted Scene"
    Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bearded Justice

they can rebuild him, they have the technology, stonger, faster, kevin smithier
    iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iloverobots

They can't use the 6 million dollar man name because of inflation. The 1 036 934.07$ man isn't as catchy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.