eisforextinction's The Avengers review

You and I Remember Budapest Very Differently

I think it's fair to say that everyone was waiting for the Avengers. It was a long time coming and I think it was worth it. I don't think it lived up to my expectations which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing but I felt a little disconnected after leaving the theater.

It's great when Joss Whedon can find work. While I don't worship at his alter like some do I'm a Buffy fan from way back when and it's nice to see him get his due. Not only did he direct this film but he also laid out the story and wrote the screenplay and I think that shows. While Whedon's stuff tends to be on the silly side it doesn't always seem to fit. While I don't think a completely serious Avengers movie would fly I was a little disappointed when everyone was "crackin' wise". It gave off a mishmash of tone and that was off putting for me. Not every Tony Stark line needs to be a joke. We understand he's carefree you don't have to shove it in our face. That being said I though Captain America was written very well.

The plot of the movie is about the Avengers getting together so you kind of need to overlook a few plot details. I liked the movie and these details are small and if they were handled differently the movie would likely have to be 20 minutes longer.

• I thought Loki's motivation was a little contrived: humans need to be ruled. I would have nothing wrong with him just wanting to conquer a different world but long drown out speeches about how life is better when you're oppressed is stupid. Try harder or not at all.
  • The alien menace didn't interest me. I didn't think they were actually a comic creation until I looked it up to find they have been in under ten issues. Again, the aliens don't matter too much because it's about the Avengers coming together but it would be nice to fanboy out a bit.
  • The Tesseract is pretty generic. I saw both Thor and Captain America (although at Captain America I was under the influence) so I see how the value of it is better explained in those movies but I don't blame people who only see this movie from thinking it's just a magic box.
  • The politicians that Nick Fury deals with are the worst people in the world and they will nuke your city without much thought.
  • Hawkeye sucks.

The acting is pretty good. Tom Hiddleston pretty much kills it as Loki, Robert Downey Jr. does a great job of playing Robert Downey Jr., I think Mark Ruffalo is a nice addition to the Marvel family, and Cobie Smulders will be my wife. Also as a side note the shots of all the cast together or a group of cast members standing together are always rad. It's like "Yo, the sh*t is gonna get real."

I think I sound like I didn't like the movie and I repeat again that I did. The Avengers is a great movie. The reason I bring up some of the problems with it is that it's not reinventing the genre. It's exactly what you've come to expect and that can be tiresome. In the end you get what you pay for and the Avengers do assemble and that's pretty darn cool. Can the franchise handle another round of sequels? I would think not but that doesn't diminish the fact when the camera shows Thor and Captain America standing next to each other in slow motion that it's freaking cool.

Posted by Inverno

Yeah I didn't like Hawkeye was the most undeveloped of the heroes and his attempt of backstory with Black Widow felt really forced.