Off YOUR Mind: What Should be in the Sequel to 'The Avengers'?

#101 Posted by Trodorne (2590 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdBlank: If anything Thanos motivation for attacking earth is to gain favor of mistress death. so in other words he is doing this for a woman.

Second of all id like to mention is that they will have the guardians of the galaxy as part of the avengers only because in the comics for the RE-evolution that marvel is planning Uncanny Avengers will showcase stories from Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova as well. so this is their way of amalgamating the comics with the movies and creating one universe.

#102 Posted by butters911 (265 posts) - - Show Bio
@ScreamingGhost said:

They should at the very least add Ant Man and Wasp.

This is what I want in Avengers 2. And what I wanted in the first Avengers...
#103 Posted by hazmat103 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms. Marvel or Spider Woman.

#104 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos to b a main villain, some update on Loki, maybe a Masters of Evil sub-plot. Also, plenty of Stan the Man and maybe Coulson's LMD or The Vision.

#105 Posted by SirMethos (1335 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, adding to what I posted earlier. There's apparently rumors that Iron Man 3 will have a 'post-credits' scene, with Pym confronting Chen Lu, aka. Radioactive Man. If that's true, then there's a pretty good chance that the original Master of Evil will be the villains in Avengers 2. Which would introduce Simon Williams(wonder man) and lead the way for an appearance from Vision in a later movie.

#106 Posted by RedHush1 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

I have heard that Guardians of the Galaxy will fight Thanos and set the stage for Avengers 2 but that is what I heard. But if that is true. Maybe include some of the Guardians of the Galaxy in it.

#107 Posted by GValo (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Do Ultimates 2 as A2, work deals with Fox and Sony in the mean time and built toward Civil War in the individual movies ending in A3

#108 Posted by Lykida (184 posts) - - Show Bio

1. More Hulk.

2. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

3. NO Ms.Marvel (That would have to include a bit of Captain Mar-vell as well...).

4. Thanos and the Guardians

5. Something "skrully" in the post-credit scene

#109 Posted by jcbart (341 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decept-O said:

@jcbart: Where did you get this info? Is it official? First I heard about these characters being added. Please let me know I am curious.

Edgar Wright has said in interviews that Ant-Man will end with Scott Lang carrying on the mantle from Hank Pym, Anthony Mackie has been in talks to play Falcon in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Joel Edgerton was rumoured to have been offered the role of Stephen Strange in Thor: The Dark World. The last two are from sources that correctly identified the Captain America and Iron Man plotlines, and that Ben Kingsley was portraying The Mandarin, so we can safely say it's confirmed!

#110 Posted by the_saltminer (3 posts) - - Show Bio

The Two-Gun Kid!

#111 Posted by Avengers_4everXX (156 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on guys, obviously the villain should be the Space Phantom.

But actually Ultron would be the best villain for the smaller, more personal film Whedon wants to make. And with him as the villain they could introduce Giant-Man (I think Ant Man is a dumb codename, I'd much prefer Hank be Giant Man in the movie), Wasp, and Vision

#112 Posted by friendlyNeighborhoodSpidey (32 posts) - - Show Bio

You've got to have the Vision. I can see Stark going mad trying to get his computers back under his control from an intelligent AI taken humanoid form. Tie that to Vision born from the memories of a war buddy of Cap (instead of the original Human Torch) and you've got that classic tension between Cap and Iron Man. But you can't really have the Vision without Ultron and I want to see Ultron in the Ant-Man movie, because I wasn't excited for that movie until I thought of Ultron. With Ultron in the Ant-Man movie then you can build to the Vision in the Avengers and pull in both Hank and Janet Pym (weird to call her that). Other than that, when I think of the Avengers I think Kang, Immortus and time travel. That could be fun. Even bring in the actor who played Doom in the FF movies to play Kang/Immortus. That could be a cool reveal at the end of the movie.

#113 Posted by BATinc (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eonidas: HELL YEAH

and MUST HAVE BLACK PANTHER

#114 Posted by BATinc (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we all know Thanos will be the main villian though

#115 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9094 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope we get to see the wasp and ant man

#116 Posted by DoctorTrips (127 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of actual Avengers on the team I'd love to see them bring in Black Panther, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange. I know that Whedom said that the next movie would probably be smaller in scope.

"smaller. More personal. More painful. By being the next thing that should happen to these characters, and not just a rehash of what seemed to work the first time. By having a theme that is completely fresh and organic to itself." - Joss Whedon

So I'm guessing the villain won't have a vast army of space cyborgs for the team to fight. But I would like to see them go to different places in that universe like Wakanda or Atlantis, make the scope broader than in the first one.

#117 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33631 posts) - - Show Bio

Coulson as The Vision 

#118 Posted by Markus Kage (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor & Black Pather.

They were hinted at back in Iron Man 2, so why not add them?

Namor could be added in Captain America: The Winter Soldier as well to give him more screen time. Plus Cap & Namor have a bit of history that could be explained as a bit of a back story.

As for T'Challa, well he could be a new recruit in the Avengers 2 or something.....didn't really put much thought into his story lol.

#119 Posted by PrinceZiara (290 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eonidas: For sure

#120 Posted by Crowingaboutcomics (58 posts) - - Show Bio

My opinion is to bring on Ultron, introduce Hank Pym and Wasp - it could be grounded a little bit more considering our own foray into robotics, bent of course toward the comic book world, it could also tie nicely into the technological aspect of Iron Man 3. I think they need to build up The Thanos thing, and let him simmer and cook for a while before bringing on another Alien'esque earth against them attack...With the introduction of those three, they could also bring in The Vision (wasn't he created right before Ultron - or perhaps Ultron made him...not too sure about continuity context with those two). So we have potentially, three more characters added - perhaps a quick introduction of T'Challa (maybe going to Wakanda for help against Ultron). That's where I'd take it.

#121 Posted by Time_Phantom (527 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be cool if they (seeing as they already borrowed alot from the Ultimates) go with the story line from Ultimates 2 and mix it with some Ultron as that would involve Hank Pym. Or I think it could work, it would shake the team up. And give Hawkeye more to do.

#122 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther (Stan Lee leaked that movies for Strange and Panther were in the works, and hopefully, Wasp, and Spider Woman/Man (whichever they put in first).

#123 Edited by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's too soon for Thanos/another alien invasion-esque storyline. Keep him as a distant threat for the third film. Next villain should be Ultron, with Hank Pym/Ant-man and Wasp. Perhaps Carol Danvers as a shield agent, dropping a mention of the Kree. After credit scene: Might be too soon, but have the Carol Danvers/Mar-Vell incident with the former gaining her superpowers then.

Ideally I would love Ms Marvel/Captain? (Would they portray her as her current title and ignore Mar-vell?) to be in the next film with her powers.... or perhaps a Jen Walters cameo (although this is unlikely...two gamma/hulked up characters?)

#124 Edited by __transgojobot__ (46 posts) - - Show Bio

I get the feeling that the second 'Avengers' film will be more earthbound, so to speak. All the cosmic storytelling will likely be reserved for 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and that includes a proper introduction of Thanos to cinema audiences.

As for who should be added to the roster?

Well, IMO, Carol Danvers HAS to be considered. The team needs another powerhouse AND another female hero added to the roster. She won't get a solo movie of her own; Hollywood's current skittishness with 'female-lead' actioners is bordering on the embarrassing. I can see Carol being used in the same way that Agent Caulson was for the next 'phase' of the MCU. Then, she might having a larger role in the 'Winter Soldier' pic (maybe) and then be shown strutting her marvelous stuff even more in 'Avengers 2'.

I really hope we see Ant-Man and Wasp too. I trust in Edgar Wright to pull off an entertaining film. Is this role that finally brings Nathan Fillion into the MCU? Please make it so.

Lastly, there will be Blank Panther and he will be played by Chiwetel Ejiofor because I want it to happen (lol). Also, we need to add another member to 'TEAM SCIENCE!' of Tony Stark and Bruce Banner; and T'Challa's Ph.D. physics background fits the bill nicely.

#125 Posted by Mandrewgora (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

#126 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

have all the previous avengers with Hank Pym (donning his new identity Giant-man) and Janet Van Dyne as new avengers. As the villain maybe Thanos or maybe the should wait with thanos and have red skull (red menace story arc), maestro or Kang instead. Give more screentime to Hawkeye. More of the relationship between Hawkeye and Black Widow. And Hank should be seen building Ultron.

#127 Posted by GBrutality (192 posts) - - Show Bio

the coulson turning into vision thing won't happen because clark gregg has stressed that he hates that idea.

i would like to see Ultron as the villain but that seems like a lot to shoehorn into one movie, considering he is one of their best villains.

as for who i'd like to see added; definitely ant-man (hank pym because that makes more sense than anyone else), wasp, black panther and if they could squeeze in ms. marvel i think that'd be great.

no more hulks, that's just chaos. falcon i hate the idea of being in it considering he's just one of the worst heroes ever created.

#128 Posted by karrob (4280 posts) - - Show Bio

@NXH said:

Action! Explosions! Figthing! More Action! More Explosions! More Fighting! Oh, and Scarlett Johansson! =D

Best answer and most probable!!!

#129 Posted by jcbart (341 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn said:

does anyone else think that any more Avengers would be too much on an already strained cast list?

To cope with the 1st film, they had to cut most of Caps story, had hardly any Thor, and Hawkeye was barely touched on as a hero....

I would be happy if they kept the cast as it is, and maybe gave Pym or Carol Danvers a cameo, i'd would much rather have deeper character development on the existing line up

You forget that the first half an hour of the movie was actually establishing each individual character and bringing them to the Helicarrier. We won't have that in the sequel, since the Avengers have assembled. No introductions, no initial bitchy back-and-forths. Just pure character interaction and development!

#130 Posted by thedamnedhascome (4 posts) - - Show Bio

wolverine, rocket racoon, GODZILLA

#131 Posted by Chaos Burn (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

@jcbart said:

@Chaos Burn said:

does anyone else think that any more Avengers would be too much on an already strained cast list?

To cope with the 1st film, they had to cut most of Caps story, had hardly any Thor, and Hawkeye was barely touched on as a hero....

I would be happy if they kept the cast as it is, and maybe gave Pym or Carol Danvers a cameo, i'd would much rather have deeper character development on the existing line up

You forget that the first half an hour of the movie was actually establishing each individual character and bringing them to the Helicarrier. We won't have that in the sequel, since the Avengers have assembled. No introductions, no initial bitchy back-and-forths. Just pure character interaction and development!

I didn't forget it, i just thought it wasn't enough. Thor appeared out of nowhere and just kinda nodded and went along with everything, Cap was meant to have loads more backstory as to his arrival in a new world, and i said earlier, we know pretty much nothing about Hawkeye. I (personally) would appreciate more development on these characters in the Marvel movieverse, and they could even explore the supporting characters they already have like Maria Hill or Nick Fury.

Ideally, I would use the second movie to show new fans, ones that have just seen the Avengers movie, the movie-verse they have created so far.... but I guess I will get my way sort of with Captain America 2 and Thor 2, hopefully these will supplement audiences enough that Avengers 2 can introduce new characters without people going "wait, I kinda recognise the guy with the hammer/shield/bow?"

#132 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7841 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna have to say Ultron, would love to see the sequel go a bit Empire Strikes Back.

#133 Posted by thenexusrebound (246 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be cool to have Ms Marvel in the movie. Widow was cool but it would be awesome to have a super powered female on the team. Whedon would do a cool spin on her I think.

#134 Posted by ironshadow (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

Coulson should stay dead. Do you want the Cinematic Universe to become like the Comic Universe? Where characters get killed and resurrected monthly and death has a revolving door. Let the dead rest in peace at least in the movies.

#135 Edited by chaos-soul (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

@GBrutality said:

the coulson turning into vision thing won't happen because clark gregg has stressed that he hates that idea.

i would like to see Ultron as the villain but that seems like a lot to shoehorn into one movie, considering he is one of their best villains.

as for who i'd like to see added; definitely ant-man (hank pym because that makes more sense than anyone else), wasp, black panther and if they could squeeze in ms. marvel i think that'd be great.

no more hulks, that's just chaos. falcon i hate the idea of being in it considering he's just one of the worst heroes ever created.

This plus add spider woman or ms marvel or she hulk

it would be nice to see she hulk sit the hulk down when he is raging

#136 Posted by jcbart (341 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn said:

@jcbart said:

@Chaos Burn said:

I didn't forget it, i just thought it wasn't enough. Thor appeared out of nowhere and just kinda nodded and went along with everything, Cap was meant to have loads more backstory as to his arrival in a new world, and i said earlier, we know pretty much nothing about Hawkeye. I (personally) would appreciate more development on these characters in the Marvel movieverse, and they could even explore the supporting characters they already have like Maria Hill or Nick Fury.

Ideally, I would use the second movie to show new fans, ones that have just seen the Avengers movie, the movie-verse they have created so far.... but I guess I will get my way sort of with Captain America 2 and Thor 2, hopefully these will supplement audiences enough that Avengers 2 can introduce new characters without people going "wait, I kinda recognise the guy with the hammer/shield/bow?"

You make a valid point! It would be nice for the sequel to maybe show a tiny bit of Asgard (cement it that it's part of the bigger universe by showing it outside of Thor). I believe it'll be less S.H.I.E.L.D. oriented, since Cap 2 will cover that. Overall, I do have faith that we'll see FAR more development in Phase II. It's like a second Season of a T.V. show: first one was to establish the universe and the key players. second is to flesh out everything and introduce new characters into the mix.

I think by now, they actually might be able to start getting away with introducing powered heroes without fleshed out backstories. We are in a state of belief now that this universe has superpowered people living in it, so we don't need an hour to tell the audience why Iron Fist has chi powers, or why Luke Cage is super strong. To me, at least, I think Marvel will be able to take such liberties in exchange for more character interaction.

#137 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

What's clear is that we aren't going to have Skrulls now. Kree maybe, not Skrulls. The Chitauri (or however you spell it) are essentially the Ultimate universe's answer to the Skrulls.

#138 Posted by galactusx (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I think ant man would be a good addition to the avengers

#139 Posted by Emperormeister734 (814 posts) - - Show Bio

The Black Panther, Thanos, Red Skull, AND CAMEOS UP THE YIN YANG

#140 Posted by EvLJEsT (138 posts) - - Show Bio

For the Sequel I thinK we should Get the Vision, Ant-Man, and Wasp. But I think that this movie should end on a downer. Now I Know this sounds crazy, but think of it, Marvel is going to do at least three Avengers flicks. Well I like trilogies where the second movies is the bad guys winning (Empire Strikes Back). Even have a member die, and there should be a mention of another team of avenger, No not great lakes or west cost but a back up team in case the S#@T hits the fan and the "A" team disappears. Then in the third movies rally them all Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and take down the Epic Threat that Presented itself in the second film. Split that up into two films for the summer and receive the epic aww enspiring movie that and superhero loving person deserves. One thing with the Avengers franchise That I would enjoy is there does not have to always be the set core members that what i find great about the avengers is that the roster is ever changing and mixing up the team dynamics. Sure have 1 of the big 3 in it but mix it up.

#141 Posted by nauga54 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Ant-Man and The Wasp don't seem like a good match for a movie that appears to be about the Avengers battling another cosmic powered foe...although the Hank Pym character could help support the team and come up with a solution to win the battle (if the writers really think Tony Stark and Bruce Banner aren't enough brain power)...Ms. Marvel seems to fit the bill power-wise and adds another female to the team but her character may not have enough of a "name" to warrant her inclusion (although Marvel has 2 years to pump up her visibility in their universe)....since Marvel films may not be able to get clearance from Fox to include the Silver Surfer how about "Gaard" from FF # 163...replace the surf board with hockey skates...

#142 Posted by treefreak32 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

A team of Stan Lee cameos.

#143 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

@karrob said:

@NXH said:

Action! Explosions! Figthing! More Action! More Explosions! More Fighting! Oh, and Scarlett Johansson! =D

Best answer and most probable!!!

See! Knew someone out there would appreciate my comment! lol

#144 Posted by Asok (336 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther. Vibranium exists in this universe, there could be something there.

#145 Posted by Lovingdamnation (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Someway somehow, Wasp. She already a whedonesque character, he would just write brilliant things for her. I guess Hank Pym would be referenced as well, which would help open up things for the movies, a new villain in Ultron and a new hero in Vision. All that could be a subplot.

#146 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Team: Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man, Wasp, Nick Fury, and Phil Coulson as Vision.

Villain: Thanos!

#147 Edited by Tyrannotaur (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see a few more team members be added. Antman and Wasp seem the most obvious. Falcon is supposed to be in the new Cap movie so I wouldn't mind seeing him. Also War Machine could be brought in if they wanted to. If they were going to introduce a character in the movie there are many different characters to choose from. I wouldn't want She-hulk, as much as I like Jen Walters I think she should be established in the next Hulk movie (if there is one (there will be)). Quicksilver I don't know what the legality is since he is Magneto's son and all, same goes for Wanda. I know Joss Whedon likes strong female characters though so that's why I think Ms. Marvel would be a great candidate to join the Avengers. She could also use some exposure to the public as she is an awesome character. Vison I'd like to be introduced if they use Ultron, which I'd rather be used in the 3rd film (more on that in a bit). Black Panther could work if they are willing to set up Wakanda and all that, which I don't see why they wouldn't be. That may be better utilized in Captain America 3, for a lead in to Avengers 3 however. My only problem with adding more characters is oversaturation. Whedon does an awesome job with multiple characters in his stuff, but even in Avengers some characters (Thor and Hawkeye for example) lacked "enough" screen time. Having a team of Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Thor be potentially joined by War Machine, Ant Man, Wasp, Falcon and maybe others could be a bit much. Personally my line up would be Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Wasp, Ant Man and Falcon. I think that's enough characters for a solid team. I still would love to see Ms.Marvel in the Marvel movies though :(

As for a story I think its best to go with Thanos as the villain. The teaser at the end of Avengers has his minion saying that to fight with humanity is to court death. Thanos is obsessed with Death, so I'm sure he won't turn down an opportunity to please her. The way I see it is "wave 2" of the Marvel films focuses on establishing Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy as the mad titan he is. It can establish his past and then his march to Earth. It will also fill in the holes of what happened after The Avengers. Stark rebuilds Stark Tower and maybe builds the Avengers Mansion, as well as new armor and all that. Cap can deal with being in the 21st century and working for SHEILD to stop out HYDRA or something. Thor deals with protecting both Midgard and Asgard, as well as securing the Cosmic Cube and Loki. Antman establishes him and Wasp. Hopefully we also get a SHEILD/Nick Fury/ Black Widow/Hawkeye movie as well as a new Hulk movie to tell their stories post Avengers. So in Avengers 2 the team is called back together to stop Thanos' attack on Earth. During the movie Stark and Pym work together to create a robotic defense network or something like that to help defeat the onslaught that Thanos unleashes on Earth. This of course leads up to Ultron for Avengers 3. That works better than using Ultron right away as the villain. This idea borrows from how Ultron was used in the Avengers EMH cartoon, but I think that was a good way of using him. Ultron is more threatening when he is first used as a way of saving man kind and then over time he becomes a huge threat to it. This will also allow for Vision to be in the 3rd movie. Having Ultron be introduced, rebel and then create Vision who in turn rebels in a single movie is a bit much honestly. However if you spread it out over 2-3 movies it works nicely.

Whatever they do I'm sure it will be awesome and I'll see that one 3 times as well.

#148 Posted by Grey56 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: This. Maybe Surfer.

#149 Posted by csl316 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, G-Man's a boring character because he's too overpowered.

#150 Posted by avengersnerd (1 posts) - - Show Bio

i think gaurdians of the galaxy should have them facing thanos to protect earth and should introduce the kree skrull/chitauri war by making it as if there was some kind of truce and thanos borke it by breaking into asgard using loki and stealing the infinity gauntlet and since the gaurdian have a fight on the shield helicarrier and and since a cosmic ray hits carol danvers the end should be learning thats her name and codename warbird then she wakes up and she has special powers

ant man the ending should be that shield approach hank pym and ask him to develop some kind of super soldier ai result inhim bringing agent coulson back from the dead as the vision

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.