No Surprise-'The Avengers 2' Already in Development

• 79 results
Posted by G-Man (32381 posts) - - Show Bio

With the success of The Avengers last weekend in the U.S. box office, breaking records and the incredible amount brought in overseas, we all knew a sequel would have to happen. Nothing was announced before but we know the actors all have signed sequel clauses and such. Today, we finally get some official word.

Deadline reported that Disney CEO, Bob Iger announced they are developing a sequel. Apparently he said the success of The Avengers "is a great illustration of why we like Marvel so much." Keep in mind, Disney did pay a lot for Marvel. Disney and Marvel Studios also earned the success of making this movie happen.

As for when, sequels to Iron Man and Thor are set for next year with Cap 2 for 2014. There's an open slot left in 2014, speculation is Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man. We might not see Avengers 2 until 2015. Feels like a long ways off. But at least it will happen and hopefully with everyone, including Joss Whedon, on board.

Staff
#1 Posted by The Stegman (23930 posts) - - Show Bio

With the after credits shot, a sequel was almost guaranteed. 

#2 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

hell yeah !

#3 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7681 posts) - - Show Bio

Admittedly a given but good stuff to get the official word never the less.

#4 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

KANG AND THANOS! (A guy can dream, can't he?)

#5 Posted by dcfox (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon did such a great job I would hope he'd be back for the sequel.

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Just keep Whedon involved and everything will continue to be beautiful.

God bless that man <3

#7 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

did somebody had to look in their crystal ball to foresee that?

#8 Posted by TheHeat (451 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! YES! YES!

#9 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Just keep Whedon involved and everything will continue to be beautiful.

God bless that man <3

#10 Posted by fps_dean (255 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god. Avengers was awesome.

#11 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

That open spot in 2014 leaves me worried. As cool as an Ant-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy would be for a comic fan, they have little to offer mainstream audiences. Luke Cage (or maybe Iron Fist and other Marvel Knights) would be better

#12 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, But it seems Iron Man and Thor will battle Superman next year.

#13 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want it to be Captain America, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Wasp, Hawkeye, and Vision against Thanos. Thor and Hulk should appear but not as members. They should reject membership and Black Widow should be working for Hydra.

#14 Posted by Spiderslike (652 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still just curious about the roster for the next movie I'm guessing it may have Starfox or Captain Marvel since Thanos will be the villain

#15 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Great News

#16 Posted by AlKusanagi (602 posts) - - Show Bio

@pspin: Luke Cage doesn't exactly scream "blockbuster." He's perfect for that project they were doing where they'd give newer directors a small budget to make movies about the more obscure Marvel characters though.

Now a big budget Black Panther movie on the other hand...

#17 Posted by Inverno (13197 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't you think its too soon? I mean its not a surprise I sequel its on way but the thing is: there is a lot of build up to this movie that allowed it to work. I don't expect a sequel until all the other individual movies are completed.

#18 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm shocked. SHOCKED I Tell You!! Well, not that shocked.

I just hope this success doesn't go to their head.

#19 Posted by jmood88 (16 posts) - - Show Bio
@CaioTrubat

Don't you think its too soon? I mean its not a surprise I sequel its on way but the thing is: there is a lot of build up to this movie that allowed it to work. I don't expect a sequel until all the other individual movies are completed.

How is it too soon? They have a two film per year schedule and those spots are spoken for. Having the sequel come out 3 years after the first movie is plenty of time.
#20 Posted by Judge_Dredd (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Triumphant news! Magnanimous! Bring on Avengers 2.

#21 Posted by Mjdemon (51 posts) - - Show Bio

hardest part is just waiting now. I hope that Deadpool movie comes out to quench my comic movie thirst i'll be getting

#22 Posted by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap looks like a nerd going back home after comic con.

#23 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Good news! And I'd love to see an Ant-Man movie in 2014 with tie-ins to the second Avengers movie.

#24 Posted by curtman2k20 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! YES! YES! FUCKING YES! WHEDON MUST BE WITH THE NEXT MOVIE THOUGH!

#25 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@pspin said:

That open spot in 2014 leaves me worried. As cool as an Ant-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy would be for a comic fan, they have little to offer mainstream audiences. Luke Cage (or maybe Iron Fist and other Marvel Knights) would be better

Iron Fist is a good idea :D

#26 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

@AlKusanagi: A Luke Cage movie could be made to appeal to more to mainstream audiences more than an Ant Man or GotG movie, it could even be in the vein of Thunderbolts or even Cloak and Dagger. Marvel has many more heroes with street level origins that could be made to appeal to the non comic reading audience is all that I am saying

#27 Posted by edtie97 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers assemble, again!!!

#28 Posted by AlKusanagi (602 posts) - - Show Bio

@pspin: The problem is, Marvel has now gone big. You can't have people saving the Earth and then someone punching muggers in an alley. I love the street level characters, but the Marvel films are now setting expectations higher and higher. That was the worst thing about Green Lantern. Halfway through the movie, you show us the universe, then go back to Earth to fight a guy with a big head.

#29 Posted by Inverno (13197 posts) - - Show Bio

@jmood88 said:

@CaioTrubat

How is it too soon? They have a two film per year schedule and those spots are spoken for. Having the sequel come out 3 years after the first movie is plenty of time.

Well this movie took 5 years for the build up. I don't know about you but I cringe everytime there is sequel sooner than the time the first one was made because most times they wound up being rushed-in.

#30 Posted by BradofEarth (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Antman and Wasp should get their own movie and then Black Panther should get a movie, I'd watch it.

#31 Posted by ecowfer13 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. The plan has always been for the next round of movies (Iron Man 3, Captain America 2 and Thor 2) to lead to another Avengers movie.

#32 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they have Guardians of the Galaxy beforehand I'm fine( I want for the easy explanation on how they can defeat Thanos)

#33 Posted by RedVelvet (40 posts) - - Show Bio

favor please? My lame friends refused to stay after the credits and they were my ride... I missed the candy. Somebody pm me and tell me what happened?

#34 Posted by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

@curtman2k20 said:

YES! YES! YES! FUCKING YES! WHEDON MUST BE WITH THE NEXT MOVIE THOUGH!

Something tells me that he will want to follow up on his first blockbuster thing ever.

#35 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9001 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to hear we are going to get more Avengers.

#36 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

avengers assemble !

#37 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

We can't get enough of super heroes movies!! The more the better! :)

#38 Posted by Mandrewgora (295 posts) - - Show Bio

Heck Yeah! Bring on the Shawarma!

#39 Posted by drewscruff (16 posts) - - Show Bio

They have to keep Whedon on for the sequel! they'd be more than foolish not to. Although they don't have the best track record for keeping directors happy.

#40 Posted by frozenedge (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as everybody from the previous movie is onboard and can come up with a good plot, I'm excited as hell.

#41 Posted by steelhound56 (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther is due for a film I think....

Thor and Hulk should reprise their roles. They are part of the team after all

#42 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedVelvet said:

favor please? My lame friends refused to stay after the credits and they were my ride... I missed the candy. Somebody pm me and tell me what happened?

Did you watch the mid credit reveal?

If so, you are fine. The post end credit scene is a little joke, doesn't set up for anything at all.

#43 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

My God, they could have fooled me with how the ending credits to the movie were! ::Chuckles:: Of course this is great news, all kidding aside.

#44 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! I shall now do the ceremonial chant of awesome to make sure the sequel is successful. Ahem

Whedon Whedon, Joss Joss, Whedon, Joss Joss, Whedon Whedon, Joss, Whedon Whedon, Joss, Joss, Whedon (continue until movie comes out)

#45 Posted by CommanderShiro (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Great to see that its official.

#46 Posted by blueninjapanther (675 posts) - - Show Bio

Since there's an oepn slot in 2014, Black Panther should be made. Come on someone should make a Black Panther movie so he can be in The Avengers 2.

#47 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4527 posts) - - Show Bio

Caps costume should be a major issue , they should go with the chain mail suit and do something about that head part. Thor needs to look more like his 616 version pants, boots and helmet, ithink it would be a nice touch.

#48 Posted by sentryman555 (765 posts) - - Show Bio

I would really want another Hulk movie. Come on The leader! Whats happening with that?

#49 Posted by BlackWidowBoy (27 posts) - - Show Bio

So suprised when I saw Thanos at the End I thought for sure it would be Kang which would have been awesome my only thing is If they have Thanos will they... bring in Captain Marvel. I'm hoping not, and please please not Starfox. If they do Captain Marvel I hope it's ultimate Captain, but i'd Prefer them to bring in Ms. Marvel they need another girl on the team and it would be easy to tie her in with her miltary background hell maybe she could have been working on this Phase two thing. Or if they don't want to do Hulk again what about She hulk, but we need the Vision, there are many possibilities but they really cant have a Avengers movie without Scarlet Witch

#50 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

@AlKusanagi said:

@pspin: Luke Cage doesn't exactly scream "blockbuster." He's perfect for that project they were doing where they'd give newer directors a small budget to make movies about the more obscure Marvel characters though.

Now a big budget Black Panther movie on the other hand...

Yeah neither does Ant-man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.