Follow

The Avengers

Movie » The Avengers released on May 04, 2012.

When a threat is too much for one of the earth's most powerful heroes, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye with the help of Nick Fury (and a few others) must band together to form The Avengers.

My plot speculation for Avengers 2 (SPOILERS!!!!!)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    Marvel's The Avengers was more than worth the wait. I'm going to enjoy the here-and-now and see it at least two more times in theaters. But, I can't control the urge to wonder about the future and the mid-credits scene definitely teased what's in store for us. If you haven't seen the movie yet, then what are you waiting for? Close this tab and go see the movie now!

Seriously, leave now and check back after the movie!

Alright, moving on.

As you know, the cosmic powerhouse called Thanos makes his big screen debut at the end of Joss Whedon's awesome flick. An alien informs the Mad Titan that Loki has failed to conquer Earth, and to face the newly assembled superhero team would be a death wish. Thanos turns his face and delivers a purple smirk that gave every fanboy goosebumps. Why does he smile at the challenge? I have two theories.
    First and foremost, Thanos is well known for his desire to wield the Infinity Gauntlet, a powerful glove that made some of the most fearsome beings in the universe completely hopeless against his might. And as we briefly saw in Thor, the weapon does exist in the Marvel movieverse! It's "safely" located in the Asgardian's weapons vault and it just so happens that Loki is currently receiving a first class trip back to Asgard. Could this have been the plan all along? Was the invasion of Earth just a ruse to get Loki back within reach of the Infinity Gauntlet? Tom Hiddleston is confirmed as being on-board for Thor 2, so maybe this sub-plot will take place to help tease Avengers 2 or it could even serve very well as a post credits scene.
    As for the second theory, Thanos became obsessed with death at a young age, and that transformed into an actual love for Mistress Death. His love for her is hardly a secret either. He'd do anything for her affection, and when he's told facing the Avengers could mean certain death, he appears pleased. Could it be that Thanos is seeking for the ultimate challenge to impress the love of his life, or does he want to die and no one has been able to overcome his raw power? Introducing Mistress Death could be tough to pull off in the movieverse so making him obsessed over death itself might be a safer route. That said, Marvel's The Avengers has solidified the phrase "In Whedon I trust,"so if that's what he had in mind for the character, I'm sure he'll be able to translate it well.
    What do you think Marvel Studios has in store for Thanos? It's clear they're establishing a massive universe and so far they're off to a fantastic start. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go see the movie again. And, since you're already here, be sure to check out my review.

source:my blog
    ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ARMIV2

I'm thinking at least one of the sequels will feature something that really gives way to the plot of Avengers 2.

They're still doing Guardians of the Galaxy, right?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

Skimmed through it so I avoid spoilers, but I agree most with the second one.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp said:

HEY! GET OUTTA HERE AND GO WATCH THE FIRST MOVIE!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ARMIV2 said:

I'm thinking at least one of the sequels will feature something that really gives way to the plot of Avengers 2.

It makes sense. They want to make these movies stand on their own, but they definitely need to tease the bigger picture as well. Keep us hooked for the long haul ;)

And yes, it looks like a GotG movie will one day see the light.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp said:

Its actually "movie first" and NO BIATCH, MAKE ME.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ARMIV2

@k4tzm4n said:

@ARMIV2 said:

It makes sense. They want to make these movies stand on their own, but they definitely need to tease the bigger picture as well. Keep us hooked for the long haul ;)

Sweet, 'cause I heard that Guardians would tie in with the Avengers.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp said:

Its actually "movie first" and NO BIATCH, MAKE ME.

No, I meant first movie, movie being in regards to the Avengers franchise, and the one currently out is the first one, therefore making it the first movie.

NOW STEP ON THE GAS AND GO SEE IT. OR SO HELP ME GOD I'LL HAVE TO ELABORATE EVEN FURTHER. AND YOU WOULDN'T LIKE ME WHEN I ELABORATE!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ARMIV2 said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@ARMIV2 said:

Sweet, 'cause I heard that Guardians would tie in with the Avengers.

It would be awesome to see Drax. I just hope they give him a better outfit than "ehhh black khakis will be fine,"

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cattlebattle

I doubt they are going to follow up an alien menace with another alien menace...I am banking on a super-villain team up story ( Masters of Evil, Lethal Legion) that factors into the plot of acquiring the Infinity Gauntlet then Thanos showing up later. I mean what are the Avenger actors slated for??...like twelve movies each? Time is on their side I would contest

Edit: Whedon had already said the sequel was going to be more "personal"...that could very well mean having villains that have some personal connotations with each hero

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

Maybe, to tie it in even further with Thor, is that they might mash up the characters Mistress Death and Hela. If not, I'd rather have Thanos appear in either Guardians of the Galaxy (which is pretty much confirmed by now) or the final Avengers film. I don't want Thanos vs. the Avengers just yet because after him, then what? It'd be hard to have such a huge villain be defeated by the team in the sequel, and then follow up with Ultron or Kang (big threats sure, but they're no Thanos).

My pick for the sequel's villain is Ultron, who'd better be introduced in the Ant-Man film I've been waiting for since '08, lol.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cattlebattle
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

@cattlebattle: Lol. He totally fooled Falcon ;P

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@cattlebattle: I don't see why not. This will be multiple Marvel Studio movies away (we'll see Thor 2, Iron Man 3, and likely Cap 2 before Avengers 2). It's unlikely to me that they'd tease Thanos and then not deliver him after all of those years before Avengers 2. This is of course under the assumption they don't opt to use him in GotG.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cattlebattle
    @k4tzm4n said:

@cattlebattle: I don't see why not. This will be multiple Marvel Studio movies away (we'll see Thor 2, Iron Man 3, and likely Cap 2 before Avengers 2). It's unlikely to me that they'd tease Thanos and then not deliver him after all of those years before Avengers 2. This is of course under the assumption they don't opt to use him in GotG.

Right away though, It would just seem odd as usually when Thanos is throwing down a larger portion of heroes from all over are involved, I would figure maybe it would be an ongoing sub-sub plot that ties the finale of Marvel cinematic movies together.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe

Thanos arrives stomps ass and just when things look worst Adam Warlock comes in and shows them how the cosmic heroes roll. Pure fantasy but it would be awsome to see Adam in a movie

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Didn't Thor take the cube back with him to Asgard? So maybe Thanos makes his way there and rages hell... I'd love to see Iron Man, Cap, Widow, Hawkeye, and Hulk goings to Asgard to fight... Woooweee.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

@BiteMe-Fanboy: I'd love an Avengers movie set in Asgard.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Deranged Midget

I'm definitely believing it's theory 2 aka Thanos trying to please "Death". Honestly, I don't really care who they choose for Avengers 2 as long as Whedon is still directing/co-writing. I can't say this enough but "IN WHEDON I TRUST!"

Personally, I'd like to see future Avengers films take cues from Earth's Mightiest Heroes and perhaps some integration of the Masters of Evil. OMFG, I'm just still mind-blown by the film that I'm giddy with all the possibilites.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@cattlebattle said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Right away though, It would just seem odd as usually when Thanos is throwing down a larger portion of heroes from all over are involved, I would figure maybe it would be an ongoing sub-sub plot that ties the finale of Marvel cinematic movies together.

Seeing as the movie is still years away I don't really think that counts as "right away" ;)

If that theory is right (Thanos in Avengers 2), there will definitely be bits and pieces leasing the bigger picture before we get there.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget said:

I'm definitely believing it's theory 2 aka Thanos trying to please "Death". Honestly, I don't really care who they choose for Avengers 2 as long as Whedon is still directing/co-writing. I can't say this enough but "IN WHEDON I TRUST!"

Personally, I'd like to see future Avengers films take cues from Earth's Mightiest Heroes and perhaps some integration of the Masters of Evil. OMFG, I'm just still mind-blown by the film that I'm giddy with all the possibilites.

Agreed.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Hunter114

It seems like both theories aren't mutually exclusive, they could still both happen, just with Thanos now wanting to "court death" as it were by challenging them.

I would also like to see some sort of step towards a third Avengers movie, by bringing in Antman and Wasp (and a few other cameos) and having them build Ultron robots as security or something, then have Thanos reprogram one into the "actual" Ultron that we all know and love at the end or before the end or something.

(I have said this many times, partly for the "called it" chant of victory and partly to let others express their views on it)

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gambit1024

Anyone else think that the Infinity Gems are gonna be introduced in the next few movies? (Cap 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Dr. Strange, etc.)

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @Hunter114 said:

It seems like both theories aren't mutually exclusive, they could still both happen, just with Thanos now wanting to "court death" as it were by challenging them.

I was thinking this too. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and the Infinity War would actually make for a good plot, given how much the stakes have been raised already. 

I am curious as to when we will see the Red Skull again, since he ended up in the same side of space as Loki did.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: Agreed. And I'm also wondering when Red Skull will reveal his oh-so-lovely face again.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: Agreed. And I'm also wondering when Red Skull will reveal his oh-so-lovely face again.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n said:

You thinking it will be in Avengers 2 or Captain America 2?
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: If they have plans on making it return, it'll be Cap 2 or the after credit sequence for the film before Cap 2.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n: Makes sense. I was thinking it would either be in Thor 2 (since the cosmic cube is back in Asgard), or Avengers 2. He ended up on the other end of the Universe, and there are only so many ways to get back.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: Indeed.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#31  Edited By TDK_1997

I just saw the movie and I don't think that Thanos would go straight up for the Infinity Gauntlet.I think Marvel will make him a villain that is trying to impress Mistress Death.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.