Follow

The Avengers

Movie » The Avengers released on May 04, 2012.

When a threat is too much for one of the earth's most powerful heroes, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye with the help of Nick Fury (and a few others) must band together to form The Avengers.

My Marvel's The Avengers review (spoiler free!)

• 68 results
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Ferro Vida

The Avengers was the superhero movie that I have been waiting for since I first saw Sam Raimi's Spider-man when I was a kid. It is the culmination of years of preparation on the part of Marvel and several directors, and not only does it live up to all of the hype that was surrounding it's release, it surpasses it. Every character was given ample time to shine, the relationships were organic and did not feel forced, and it believably lay the groundwork for this team to work. I have no complaints.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: So it's safe to assume you'd also give it an A+? :D

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n said:

@Ferro Vida: So it's safe to assume you'd also give it an A+? :D

I think it would be safe to assume that, yes :P
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: Favorite scene?

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n said:

Hulk and Thor fighting side by side on the Leviathan, working together to take it down. Then Hulk punching Thor as payback. It was an excellent release of the dramatic tension.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Hulk and Thor fighting side by side on the Leviathan, working together to take it down. Then Hulk punching Thor as payback. It was an excellent release of the dramatic tension.

The sucker punch heard around the world.

The theater burst into laughter both times I saw it. Definitely one of the most memorable moments. I looooooove how the battle had some one-shots that just flowed organically from character to character in the combat.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n said:

@Ferro Vida said:

@k4tzm4n said:

The sucker punch heard around the world.

The theater burst into laughter both times I saw it. Definitely one of the most memorable moments. I looooooove how the battle had some one-shots that just flowed organically from character to character in the combat.

I know! The transitions felt very natural; not jarring like in a lot movies that try to do epic final battles. I also liked how they managed to make Hawkeye and Widow relevant to the team.
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp:

1. I'm sure it has already been ruined for most, but I don't want to be a contributing factor for the few who have been lucky enough to not have anything spoiled.
    2. I really liked Thor a lot. I liked it much more than Captain America: The First Avenger (it lost my love roughly after the musical number ended). Yeah, I said it.
    Why you no like musical number? D:
    .Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By .Spider-man.

@k4tzm4n: Awesome review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp:

1. I'm sure it has already been ruined for most, but I don't want to be a contributing factor for the few who have been lucky enough to not have anything spoiled.
    2. I really liked Thor a lot. I liked it much more than Captain America: The First Avenger (it lost my love roughly after the musical number ended). Yeah, I said it.
    Why you no like musical number? D:

I did like it. What I didn't like were the scenes that followed. ;)

@.Spider-man. said:

@k4tzm4n: Awesome review

Thanks, man!

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n: While I wasn't a huge fan of the mission montage, or of Hugo Weaving in that movie, I liked Captain America more then Thor. Maybe he was just a more relate-able character for me.  
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: I really, really, really, really, enjoyed the first few acts of Cap, but I felt like it fell apart shortly after the musical segment. Thor, while not a great movie by any measure, I found to be a lot of fun for the entire ride.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n said:

@Ferro Vida: I really, really, really, really, enjoyed the first few acts of Cap, but I felt like it fell apart shortly after the musical segment. Thor, while not a great movie by any measure, I found to be a lot of fun for the entire ride.

Fair enough. I think it was Ray Stephenson's beard that really ruined the movie for me :p
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: But....but.... "do not confuse my appetite for apathy!" was hilarious.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n: Maybe it's because my brother thinks he is SO AWESOME, but I have trouble enjoying Ray Stephenson.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @k4tzm4n: Certain things I enoyed/didn't enjoy in bulletpoints. 

Positive 

- The cohesive feeling the film radiates is a rewarding one. After many years leading to it, it's all coming together and it simply is great. 
    - Each character, ranging from the heavy-hitters to street level and even SHIELD agents get their fair share of meaningful scenes, or scenes where they are just plain awesome. For a comic book film of this scale, that's pretty important. 
    - Appealing to the better nature of battle forum fans (and comic book fans, in general), the film has ample fighting sequences that, before the film opened, we wanted to see, and in that respect, it delivered. The only character who didn't really get a shining 1on1 fighting moment likely was Cap, in spite of his fight with Loki. 
    - The humor mostly worked in ways that were not forced or necessarily corny.  
    - I love the behind the scenes villain.

Negative 

- While the plot is fairly easy to comprehend, if one does not have knowledge of the previous films at all (notably Iron Man and Thor), the enjoyment of the experience decreases significantly. One might ask why would anyone watch this without having watched the previous films, but a film should be able to stand alone in its own right, and I don't believe this film can do that. 
    - One of the positives (fight scenes) can also be viewed as a negative, since in a way, there are certain fights in between heroes that don't serve much meaning or purpose and are of the simple misunderstanding nature that is usual in comics (Iron Man vs Thor, Thor vs Hulk). I'd go as far as call them "gratuitous", so to speak. 
    - Loki's character and emotional plight was one of the highlights in Thor, but here his motivation was overly simplistic, and, enjoyable as his presence might be, he does no more than serve as a puppet. Not really a fan of that. 
    - Much as I love the behind the scenes villain, I'm still unsure that the plotline that is likely to follow his appearance is the right step to take.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Morpheus_: What score would you give the film? 

Pointless to say "I agree" to all of the positive points, so we'll just chat about the negatives. 

- While the plot is fairly easy to comprehend, if one does not have knowledge of the previous films at all (notably Iron Man and Thor), the enjoyment of the experience decreases significantly. One might ask why would anyone watch this without having watched the previous films, but a film should be able to stand alone in its own right, and I don't believe this film can do that. 

I agree there's a good deal that would make people scratch their head.  The Destroyer?  A picture of Natalie Portman?  HYDRA?  Thankfully, I think Whedon did a decent job to address most of the basics (saying alien tech came down, we were outclassed, clear Thor cares to an individual and she's safe, blah blah).  I saw it with a few individuals who haven't seen a majority of the Marvel Studios films and they loved it.  They didn't seem concerned with the minor plot points they missed.  I just they were just caught up in all of the visual delight, hah.

- One of the positives (fight scenes) can also be viewed as a negative, since in a way, there are certain fights in between heroes that don't serve much meaning or purpose and are of the simple misunderstanding nature that is usual in comics (Iron Man vs Thor, Thor vs Hulk). I'd go as far as call them "gratuitous", so to speak.  

You say "gratuitous," I say "fan service." :) 

- Loki's character and emotional plight was one of the highlights in Thor, but here his motivation was overly simplistic, and, enjoyable as his presence might be, he does no more than serve as a puppet. Not really a fan of that.  

Yes, Hiddleston is a solid actor, but Loki was definitely one-dimensional here.

- Much as I love the behind the scenes villain, I'm still unsure that the plotline that is likely to follow his appearance is the right step to take. 

A conversation I'm sure we'll have in a few years. 
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @k4tzm4n: 3+ out of five, maybe 3.5. I'll have to see how it holds up in a rewatch. 

I agree there's a good deal that would make people scratch their head.  The Destroyer?  A picture of Natalie Portman?  HYDRA?  Thankfully, I think Whedon did a decent job to address most of the basics (saying alien tech came down, we were outclassed, clear Thor cares to an individual and she's safe, blah blah).  I saw it with a few individuals who haven't seen a majority of the Marvel Studios films and they loved it.  They didn't seem concerned with the minor plot points they missed.  I just they were just caught up in all of the visual delight, hah. 

Oh, I don't doubt few people will actually have a problem following the premise and understanding most of the backstories required (and I do agree Whedon did a good job bringing things together with various Easter eggs and references to previous films), but as far as caring about these characters based on this film alone is concerned, I'm not really certain it accomplishes that, Black Widow, Hawkeye (and maybe even Bruce Banner) side. The sympathetic nature and virtues of Iron Man, Cap and Thor are covered almost entirely in their own feature films with few remnants here. As a part of a larger picture it's great, but the piece itself is lacking in that area. 

You say "gratuitous," I say "fan service." :)  

LOL, yeah. But it's both a good and a bad thing. Mostly a good thing, though. Some of the fights are unnecessary but the film would had been less enjoyable to me without them, so all in all I'm just complaining for the sake of it about this. 

A conversation I'm sure we'll have in a few years.   

There's always the chance that we'll see multiple alterations to the original storyline that we both have in mind, but the plot is a bit much and over the top, even for an Avengers film. 

Also, another minor complaint, but I doubt 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.