Follow

The Avengers

Movie » The Avengers released on May 04, 2012.

When a threat is too much for one of the earth's most powerful heroes, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye with the help of Nick Fury (and a few others) must band together to form The Avengers.

My Marvel's The Avengers review (spoiler free!)

• 68 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Marvel's The Avengers Review

Marvel's The Avengers is a movie we've been anxiously waiting to see for years now.  If you're a comic book fan, the dream of watching this A-list team together on the big screen could be over a decade old.  But, what really hit home was when Nick Fury came out of nowhere and blew our minds with that post-credits scene in Iron Man. It was the collective fanboy jaw-drop heard around the world.  The Avengers was a reality that was continually teased in the other Marvel Studios movies, and now, it's finally here.  Does it live up to the Galactus-sized hype or fail harder than The Red Skull's attempt at world domination?  I'm beyond thrilled to say it not only meets the expectations, but also completely smashes them.  Marvel Studios has managed to create a virtually flawless superhero movie that'll make both fanboys and casual fans want to see it over and over again.

The story here is absolutely big enough to justify the gathering of the team and manages to keep you engaged the whole time... and, I dare to say one part might even tempt you to shed a tear.  It takes elements from both the classic Avengers stories and the second volume of Mark Millar's The Ultimates.  The mischievous Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is looking to conquer Earth, and to do so, he's  aligned  himself with an alien army (I won't spoil who they are).  With the tesseract (cosmic cube), Thor's "brother" is a cosmic force that would take a miracle to stop. Luckily for us humans, Nick Fury (Sam Jackson) has this little thing called The Avengers Initiative on file.  And yes, this movie positively lays out the groundwork for a follow-up.
    A film like this is insanely difficult to pull off.  The chore of juggling so many characters isn't easy and we've seen it play a role in obliterating comic book movies before (you know what you did, X-Men: The Last Stand and Spider-Man 3).  Thankfully, director Joss Whedon ( The Cabin in the Woods,Firefly) was the perfect man for the job.  "In Whedon we trust" is a common phrase by Whedonites.  If you weren't  saying it before, I'm damn sure you will be after seeing this film.  The roster is packed and Whedon is able to give the varied characters the respect they deserve. Each hero (and villain) is given a good amount of screen time for depth and definitely have their fair share of incredibly bad-ass moments.  I've always said that Whedon's greatest talent is his ability to craft top-notch banter, and Marvel's The Avengers is proof of this.  These characters are all so drastically different when it comes to their personalities, so when they go at it verbally the result is pure gold most of the time.

Regarding the rest of the talent, no one really falls short.  We've already seen most of these actors in their respective roles before and they do every bit as well, if not slightly better due to the sharp writing giving them more to work with.  Robert Downey Jr. continues to bring the laughs as the sarcastic Tony Stark, Chris Evans pulls off the confidence Captain America requires, Tom Hiddleston continues to make Loki the most interesting Marvel Studios villain to date, so on and so on.  If they're not exactly like their comic book counter-part, then they're certainly close enough to make you feel as though they've been stripped from the 
    panels. 
    The action in this movie will make you feel like a kid again and leave you completely in awe.  We get just about every hero versus hero combination we've been dying to see and the final act is absolute perfection. War breaks out in New York and every Avenger is right in the middle of it.  This battle has a beautifully organic flow, moving from one character to the next as they continue to amaze us with what I can firmly call the best action sequence I've seen in a long time.  It has too many top-notch crowd-pleasing moments to count.
    Hulk is without question the highlight of this movie.  He's the physical powerhouse he needs to be, and Mark Ruffalo does a fine job as Banner.  The CGI holds up the entire ride and it's amazing how this literally looks like a 'roided-out Ruffalo.  To go into detail would totally spoil his moments, but let's just say there's plenty of smashing and even more laughs to be had.  Hulk gets the amount of battles he deserves, and I can confidently say these will be the scenes you'll be talking about when you walk out of the theater.  It would be madness to not give this version of Hulk a solo movie, so they better make that happen in 2015.

Marvel's The Avengers will be heavily debated as the best comic book movie, but it's definitely not perfect (then again, what movie truly is?).  The first few acts are the low points as they go through the mandatory steps of establishing the overall plot and bringing the characters together.  It simply didn't feel as big or superb as the movie needs to be.  That said, it's a minor criticism and ultimately won't matter because the rest will blow you away.

Marvel's The Avengers is sporting Hulk's strength and raised the bar for comic book movies.  So unless you severely loathe the genre, there is no reason at all to not rush out and see it as soon as possible.  When the movie comes to end (sit through the credits for two extra scenes!), you'll want to go through the must-see experience all over again.  

A+  

source:my blog
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ferro Vida

Mark Ruffalo as Hulk was my main concern with this movie. He's he only one who has had no prior screen time to build a character around. He's a great actor, and it's good to hear that he shows his chops here. 

I can't wait to see you choosing between this and TDKR for comic book movie of the year.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Ferro Vida: I'll be blunt; I've thought for awhile now that Marvel's The Avengers would be some popcorn fun and The Dark Knight Rises would be phenomenal. 

I was right.  Avengers is just popcorn fun at the end of the day, but it's done exceptionally well.  It's hilarious, the action will fill you with bliss, and it's just too fun to witness only once.  These two films will have drastically different vibes so that'll make it especially difficult to compare them, but I'm also very anxious to see which I prefer and why. 

Thanks for reading the review!
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n: I make a point of reading your reviews whenever a little bird informs me there is a new one ;P
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Ferro Vida: Har, har!  Definitely chime back when you see it tomorrow.
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n: Count on it
    Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

My only qualm with the film is that it didn't last ten hours.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By entropy_aegis

Great review.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Illuminatus said:
    Hah!  If it kept at the pace and quality of the last act I'd want this movie going on for an entire day. 

@entropy_aegis said:

Great review.

Thanks!  Are you going to see it?
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Deranged Midget

Excellent review k4tz! My only problem with the film is that is was too short in my opinion, but honestly I think that's the beauty of it. I've never left a theater wanting to see more of the film than I have of the Avengers.

If Joss Whedon doesn't win best director from this movie, then the world is seriously a f'ed up place.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: I haven't seen it yet, but I skimmed through this and didn't see you mention this.

So, without spoilers, what did you think of the Villain teased for the next movie? Yay or Nay?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @ReVamp: I didn't want to discuss that in the review because I wanted to keep it spoiler-free.  I just have a remark saying to stay during all of the credits and it lays the groundwork for a follow-up. 

And yay. 

@Deranged Midget: Thank you!  Man, I agree.  That final act was truly something special.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: I'm kinda skeptical. Again, I haven't seen it, so I don't know exactly how it was done, but I'm not sure they can pull that person/thing/object in a movie...

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ARMIV2

Excellent review, man. Really spot on, though I can't say I felt this movie was just a "popcorn fun" flick. That's me though.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: Well, regarding that character...

I'd hold off on the concern for now. Thanos doesn't even have a line of dialogue. He's just revealed in the end (mid-credits) and pops a smirk when informed of Loki's failure. They definitely established the Avengers as a team that'll be facing cosmic threats, and seeing as we know the infinity gauntlet exists in their universe, I can see this working out well if handled properly. And assuming Whedon has a crack at the sequel, I'd absolutely say he can pull it off.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ARMIV2 said:

Excellent review, man. Really spot on, though I can't say I felt this movie was just a "popcorn fun" flick. That's me though.

Thanks, man! Everyone seems to view the term in a different light, but personally, this for me is popcorn entertainment at its best.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp: Well, regarding that character...

I'd hold off on the concern for now. Thanos doesn't even have a line of dialogue. He's just revealed in the end and pops a smirk. They definitely established the Avengers as a team that'll be facing cosmic threats, and seeing as we know the infinity gauntlet exists in their universe, I can see this working out well if handled properly. And assuming Whedon has a crack at the sequel, I'd absolutely say he can pull it off.

Am I going to be pissed if I click that?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: Well, seeing as you already know of said character, I sincerely doubt it. It only surrounds that character and his/her/its (gotta be vague for the public ;) ) veeeeeery limited role.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp: Well, seeing as you already know of said character, I sincerely doubt it. It only surrounds that character and his/her/its (gotta be vague for the public ;) ) veeeeeery limited role.

Okay. But tell me this:

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: No, he/she/it looks fine. We only see said character very briefly though, and it's mostly the face.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: I see. I'll trust you on this, but if its not up to par I'm going to ask you to refund my ticket.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: I can only assume it is in reference to the movie as a whole. Because we both know you're going to loathe said character regardless :P

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp: I can only assume it is in reference to the movie as a whole. Because we both know you're going to loathe said character regardless :P

It was, but what makes you say that?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: Based on the little we've spoken about the character, you don't seem to be a big fan. Anyway, that's literally like... 5 seconds max out of the whole film, haha. When are you seeing it?

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @k4tzm4n: Who was your favorite character in the movie?
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@TheGoldenOne: They all had their moments to shine, but Hulk stood out from the rest. His scenes are incredible.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @k4tzm4n: True. Hulk was awesome. My choice would be Iron Man. Good review, man.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp: Based on the little we've spoken about the character, you don't seem to be a big fan. Anyway, that's literally like... 5 seconds max out of the whole film, haha. When are you seeing it?

I... like Thanos? What I don't like (and that may have something to do with it, I guess) I dislike non-human looking humanoid characters in movies. It looks weird in many cases, I'm always skeptical about whether they can pull it off.

@TheGoldenOne: T'wasn't Thor, can tell you for sure.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@TheGoldenOne: Thank you! Yeah, it's impossible to not love Stark.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: HEY! SPOILER TAB!

And, I love Hemsworth as Thor.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp: HEY! SPOILER TAB!

And, I love Hemsworth as Thor.

1. Yeah, sorry about that. Hopefully no one else saw that. TGO doesn't matter.
    2. Do I have to Mind Control you again? How the fck do you keep resisting this sh!t?
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp:

1. I'm sure it has already been ruined for most, but I don't want to be a contributing factor for the few who have been lucky enough to not have anything spoiled.
    2. I really liked Thor a lot. I liked it much more than Captain America: The First Avenger (it lost my love roughly after the musical number ended). Yeah, I said it.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

1. I'm sure it has already been ruined for most, but I don't want to be a contributing factor for the few who have been lucky enough to not have anything spoiled.
    2. I really liked Thor a lot. I liked it much more than Captain America: The First Avenger (it lost my love roughly after the musical number ended). Yeah, I said it.

-

1. Yeah, I know. It wasn't on purpose, I apologize.
    2. I didn't. The expectations people set up for it was through the rough, so much so I enjoyed Green Lantern more. Yeah, I said it. GL didn't take itself seriously, whereas Thor did and that was largely its downfall for me. It was supposed to be some epic story, but I just couldn't be drawn into it, the character designs seemed off, the fight scenes didn't cut it for me and so on.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp:

1) It's all good. OR IS IT?

2) I never expected the character to translate well to the big screen. I saw it opening day and didn't check out reviews or anything. I had a lot of fun with it. It delivered plenty of laughs (the pet store, a lot of his earlier interactions on earth) and overall kept my attention pretty well. I didn't expect it to happen, but I liked the characters (pointless humans aside) and for once, there was an interesting villain in the Marvel Studios universe. The fight scene with the Destroyer was definitely short and the bout with Loki isn't anything to write home about, but I didn't view them as terrible either. Honestly, I certainly enjoyed those more than Cap's action sequences.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

So even though I barely got any rest after the midnight showing, I'm extremely tempted to see it again tonight.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Deranged Midget
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ReVamp

@Deranged Midget said:

@k4tzm4n:

Well, I'm pretty sure Thanos only smiled when his minion mentioned that to face the Avengers is to face death "herself" No one would get that reference unless they were comic-book fans.

OMG. I don't like spoilers, but this is badass.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget: I'm actually writing a blog at the moment with my two theories. That's one of them :D

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ReVamp

I'm going to regret this.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT, SIR?! lol

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp: WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT, SIR?! lol

Because of the extremely evident "Spoilers" in the title. Which you've already chastised me for.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: I might have already asked this (apologies for not valuing our conversations), but when are you seeing it? :P

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp: I might have already asked this (apologies for not valuing our conversations), but when are you seeing it? :P

You have. I think I answered it. Hopefully next weekend. Couldn't grab anyone this weekend, but I'll see. Maybe.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By armylife1124

@k4tzm4n: Just curious, could younger children see this movie...or is it too violent or "scary" for young ones.....

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ntb1124: I'd say it depends on their age and what their comfort level is with action movies. If aliens and such don't scare him/her and they're regularly watching fun action movies/tv, I'd say they should be fine with it.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ntb1124 said:

@k4tzm4n: Just curious, could younger children see this movie...or is it too violent or "scary" for young ones.....

It should be perfectly fine for children.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By entropy_aegis

@k4tzm4n said:

@Illuminatus said:
    Hah! If it kept at the pace and quality of the last act I'd want this movie going on for an entire day.

@entropy_aegis said:

Great review.

Thanks! Are you going to see it?

Yup very soon.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget said:

@ntb1124 said:

It should be perfectly fine for children.

Hulk scare puny children!

@entropy_aegis said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@Illuminatus said:
    Hah! If it kept at the pace and quality of the last act I'd want this movie going on for an entire day.

@entropy_aegis said:

Great review.

Thanks! Are you going to see it?

Yup very soon.

Awesome. Check back once you do.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp said:

@k4tzm4n said:

You have. I think I answered it. Hopefully next weekend. Couldn't grab anyone this weekend, but I'll see. Maybe.

Ah, well.. it'll be worth the wait :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.