gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Peter Parker might be back in control of his body but there hasn't been any time to relax. Although, from some things that happen in this issue, it's not all entirely horrible for him. The main thing Peter has to deal with carrying over from when Doctor Octopus was in control is the transformation of Black Cat. Doc Ock defeated and humiliated Felicia Hardy. Having lost everything she's worked to build for herself, she has vowed to destroy Spider-Man, regardless of the reasoning and explanation he's given her. With Electro's powers on the verge of being out of control, he too has lost a lot. This has made it easy for Black Cat to convince him to join her crusade. Now Black Cat is making her move to build her own criminal empire with Electro assisting. As she lays claim to her new empire, we get to see some familiar faces along the way.

If this wasn't bad enough for Spider-Man, he has discovered Silk. Cindy Moon has been locked away since the day she was bitten by a radioactive spider--the same day and radioactive spider that bit Peter Parker years ago. Her being locked away was for her safety against Morlun. Free after all these years and because of their bond, Silk has latched on to Spider-Man, in certain ways. Obviously Dan Slott is laying some seeds for the upcoming SPIDER-VERSE event. It's a nice and subtle way watching this story unfold, knowing Morlun is to be a part of coming events.

I always get a kick out of seeing Humberto Ramos' art in the pages of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. His style manages to capture the fun and big essence of the stories. You get a stylized feel of the action as it zips across the pages. Edgar Delgado's colors enhances the excitement of the story as well. There are some scenes highlighted in orange or in blue and it really pops off the page.

The Bad

I've probably said it before, Black Cat's transformation feels a bit extreme. Yeah, it makes sense she's pretty ticked off. It feels a little odd how unwilling she is to listen to the explanation over Doc Ock taking control of Spider-Man's body, especially when the Avengers practically shrugged it off as if it were nothing. I suppose we have to keep in mind that because of One More Day or Brand New Day or whatever, Felicia doesn't feel as close to Peter as she did in the old stories. She may have been a crook before but she's going the supervillain route. There may be a logical explanation coming why there's been such a drastic change but for now, we'll just sit here and scratch our heads a little.

The art and colors look great throughout most of the issue. There were a couple panels where the inks felt a little thick on some characters. It was a slight distraction as Ramos' art usually glides across the pages.

The Verdict

Spider-Man has a new enemy and her name is Black Cat. Even though Spider-Man has discovered Silk, a woman who was bitten by the same radioactive spider he was moments afterwards, her help still won't be enough to stop this hate-filled Felicia Hardy. Having an amped up Electro on her side makes Black Cat even more deadly. Black Cat's hatred and attitude feels like a bit much but it is making an interesting story, combined with the other subplots thrown in. Dan Slott is keeping the fun and excitement going and Humberto Ramos' art captures the vibe of the story nicely. There's a big cliffhanger but we'll just assume he'll manage to get out of it next issue.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LiveForever

People don't seem to take Slott to task for inconsistent and lazy characterization.

I don't mean that as singling out Tony, because he points it out. But People seem to get over that part too easily.

TobenRacicot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2  Edited By TobenRacicot

yeah i am not liking this as much as superior!

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SoA

im liking it . octavius ruined pete's life and know the reckoning (for which ive been waiting for ) is at hand . not a fan of "spinning jenny" but lets see what happens

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm calling it right now, this attraction between Silk and Spidey, will be a deadly attraction as in the female mate is gonna bite of the male mate's head lol. Honestly, Peter love life is a revolving door, he has to be officially the STUD of the comic book universe. Take that Bruce and Logan.

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic another love interest for Peter no one will care about and when fans complain we will have Slott say people can't let MJ go.

Five issues into his run and it has already gone back to his old mediocre ways, It's time for Dan to leave this title.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does everyone hate Slott? I've been loving this series. Its fun, action packed, and entertaining, and the story and characters are interesting. But I just started reading spiderman recently so maybe that's why I can't see the issue.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#7  Edited By Teerack

I wonder. Even if everyone else doesn't find out, how will Cat react when she remembers being so special to Peter he let her know who was under the mask. Hopefully it will make her believe Peter, and save her character. I liked that Peter was on TV going "DOC OCK BODY SWAPPED WITH ME!!" lol.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inkink said:

Fantastic another love interest for Peter no one will care about and when fans complain we will have Slott say people can't let MJ go.

Five issues into his run and it has already gone back to his old mediocre ways, It's time for Dan to leave this title.

People don't seem to take Slott to task for inconsistent and lazy characterization.

I don't mean that as singling out Tony, because he points it out. But People seem to get over that part too easily.

Both of these are spot on. I'm sick of Slott's mediocre at best Spider-man run. It's time for someone else to get a shot.

And good lord, do people love to gloss over how inconsistently Slott writes characters. It's ridiculous.

This issue was pretty much hot garbage and it in no way deserved 4 stars.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man anna marie just stole this issue for me i hope she stays apart of the spider family for a good while. No lie even though i have issues with Cat's new super villain role it's weird now all of a sudden her bad luck works and yet against spock it didn't??? Peter's partner took that kidnapping a little too well though lol.

I must say though i am really liking silk.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@vegandiet: I completely agree with you. I'd also be very happy if the book got a new artist.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man anna marie just stole this issue for me i hope she stays apart of the spider family for a good while. No lie even though i have issues with Cat's new super villain role it's weird now all of a sudden her bad luck works and yet against spock it didn't??? Peter's partner took that kidnapping a little too well though lol.

I must say though i am really liking silk.

Anna Maria will be Peter's downfall because:

1. She'll be able to prove that Peter did not really earn his Ph.D, which would be that his Doctoral Thesis will be cancelled. Thus, Peter will have to make another Ph.D proposal that is based on Otto's work.
    2. Parker Industries will become Oscorp once again.
    Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@jayc1324 said:

Why does everyone hate Slott? I've been loving this series. Its fun, action packed, and entertaining, and the story and characters are interesting. But I just started reading spiderman recently so maybe that's why I can't see the issue.

He derails characters if not outright assassinate them. Let's take Black Cat for example. Here's a summary on her history. http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2014/07/09/the-tale-of-the-black-cat-and-why-she-was-a-friend-not-foe/#more-44063. I hope this explains why Black Cat fans are pissed. MJ is another example though a bit less extreme then Cat's. I also Highly recommend you check out JMS's run. I believe they've released it in trade paperback.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue is evidience that puny Parker is puny.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Slott is going to make me do something I haven't done since I started reading comics....drop Spider-Man...

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slott is going to make me do something I haven't done since I started reading comics....drop Spider-Man...

brand new day made me boycott spiderman for awhile.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@theacidskull said:

@fallschirmjager said:

agreed.

I like silk tho.

Yeah she's cool.

But having just read Spider-Man 2099 I'm laughing my ass off.

PAD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (xinfinity) Slott

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 owie  Moderator

So is Electro dressing up like the Eel now for some reason? Or was that just the Eel? I was paging through it briefly in the store.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the way Slott writes. I am excited to read ASM/SSM every week it comes out. The biggest problem is that people who like Spidey but not Slott do not have a good alternative book to read in the 616 universe. Hopefully with 2099 out now, every Spidey fan can at least find a book/writer they mostly like and we don't have to suffer though the endless "Slott sucks" and "Nuhuh, Slott is amazing!" comment wars.

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish silk wansnt so much stronger overall than spidey, same spider bit them but she's faster, more agile,better spidey sense and organic webs. Peter might have higher strength at best. After being locked in a room for ten years but spideys been out fighting and training his abilities.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@fallschirmjager said:

@theacidskull said:

@fallschirmjager said:

agreed.

I like silk tho.

Yeah she's cool.

But having just read Spider-Man 2099 I'm laughing my ass off.

PAD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (xinfinity) Slott

LOL agreed, Pad is infinitely better.

AND NO SPOILERS!

I'm in love with 2099 :'3

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: dude is legit. nothing happened at all and yet it was 100x more enjoyable

knowing how to write characters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> not knowing

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im really into this book. Im loving silk, its interesting to see how the spider bite has had a more potent effect on her. Im also really digging her and peters primal attraction, im anxious to see how it affets all sorts of things in the future.

The same ol "superior comic fans" are complaing that things have changed, but if they stayed the same they would be complaining that they are the same. You guys bitch more than the average women.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By w0nd

@owie said:

So is Electro dressing up like the Eel now for some reason? Or was that just the Eel? I was paging through it briefly in the store.

that was eel.

Also I love how she is in no way willing to listen to pete about the mind swap thing. Good lord, she has bad luck powers for goodness sake, that's just as stupid but there it is. Her not accepting it is a little ridiculous, the fact he could just one punch her again if he REALLY wanted to should open her eyes.

danaandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new artist would be nice. Lee Weeks maybe. He does a great Spider-Man. Ramos' art is a little too goofy.

Avatar image for wonder_princess
    Wonder Princess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not like Felicia as a hard-core supervillian. It just seems opposite from how she has always been portrayed.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

No...No, no, no, no, no. This is not a 4 star comic book. It is a piece of sh*t. It's almost borderline "so bad, it's good" until you find clowns like this saying it's fantastic. It literally looks and sounds like something I would write in 2nd grade during free block.

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Silk for Spidey. She's hot, lol.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really feeling this Silk character so far

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No...No, no, no, no, no. This is not a 4 star comic book. It is a piece of sh*t. It's almost borderline "so bad, it's good" until you find clowns like this saying it's fantastic. It literally looks and sounds like something I would write in 2nd grade during free block.

what did you dislike about it?

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only thing I enjoyed about this issue was the last page. the rest was terrible! Silk and Peter as a romantic couple is going to be really bad if it happens. since peter Parker can never have a good life, silk will most likely betray him or something. And who knows what Slott is going to do with MJ!

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

@w0nd said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

what did you dislike about it?

Black Cat has been turned into an irrational, immature and murderous psychopath who judges strictly by how things look, Silk is a Mary Sue and a clear attempt at replacing Black Cat as Spidey's "Girlfriend who is his physical equal.", the dialogue is horrible. Actually, my full review is here:

The review this travesty DESERVES

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Koays

Lol its all fun an games until Silk ends up having 10 spidermen from different dimensions fighting for her attention.

Spydaman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@werst9: I totally agree, silk is far superior than spiderman in everything but strength, they did the same for thor sister as well. Overall I'm liking the story, jus hate how in order for Pete to get the upper hand on things it has to deal with plot

KouNurasaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By KouNurasaka

This issue felt like it was trying to do too much. You just had too many plot points going on at once.

1. Spideyand Silk's relationship was really funny and interesting.

2. Pete and Cindy's relationship clashes with Anna Maria. I'm kind of sad we don't get to hear how she feels about everything, especially seeing Peter (the man she loves/loved) getting fresh with a stranger.

2. Black Cat's villainy does seem a bit forced, especially her team up with Electro. She just feels out of place alongside him.

3. Jonah is still being Jonah, but it came out of nowhere.

4. While I like the idea of Pete having his own company, it pretty much gets sidelined. Every comic thusfar has a panel or two dedicated to Saijani yelling at Pete for skipping out on work. It makes perfect sense, but it is getting old.

chaddum96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im really liking the design of these Original Sin covers. I wish they could stay like this.

daddylo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those of you complaining, what do you want from Slott? You all complained the entire run of Superior Spider-Man until it ended and now suddenly you act like you loved it from the start, and now you're complaining about what's going on with Black Cat. It's pretty clear what's happening, Felicia is pissed about SpOck ruining her life and now wants revenge. Given that Peter did that little fake out on her yelling that he's still Otto in ASM 1 or 2, Felicia has no reason to trust Spider-Man so even with Peter yelling "I was possessed by Octavious," it's not going to make her go oh ok all is forgiven.

On top of all of this we have some great side stories going on with Silk, Anna Maria, and Parker Industries (plus we see Ulrich is still around and calling himself the Goblin King) and we know shit will hit the fan once again come Spider-Verse.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Is Spiderman's comic a monthly now?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By w0nd

@daddylo21 said:

For those of you complaining, what do you want from Slott? You all complained the entire run of Superior Spider-Man until it ended and now suddenly you act like you loved it from the start, and now you're complaining about what's going on with Black Cat. It's pretty clear what's happening, Felicia is pissed about SpOck ruining her life and now wants revenge. Given that Peter did that little fake out on her yelling that he's still Otto in ASM 1 or 2, Felicia has no reason to trust Spider-Man so even with Peter yelling "I was possessed by Octavious," it's not going to make her go oh ok all is forgiven.

On top of all of this we have some great side stories going on with Silk, Anna Maria, and Parker Industries (plus we see Ulrich is still around and calling himself the Goblin King) and we know shit will hit the fan once again come Spider-Verse.

I still see the same people hating superior, and the argument with black cat seems fair. she is acting crazy, her life and city has it's fair share of mutants, super powers, psypowered freaks and body swapping shape shifters....and for some reason spiderman's story is not believable...they use to be close, but she's not even listening to him like he's not important...he did the "fake out" thing and then ran away when he had her on the ropes saying sorry. he made it clear as otto he coudl easily take her down and did so in 2 seconds, so why lie about being sorry and being otto now, only to run out on their fight.? what would the purpose of that be? People don't like it for good reason. I am fine with it but I can see their arguments.

baddog1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I hear one more person bitching about how good the JMS run was & how bad Dan Slott is it will be too much. For some reason I like the "bachelor trying to run a buisness & fighting his crazy ex" peter more relatable than "middle aged dude who belongs to a long line of spider-warriors & goes home to his rich super-model wife after a night of crime-fighting" peter.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BR_Havoc

@baddog1994: Many do not find him more relatable, Having a grown man that acts like a teenager and always falls back to square one gets boring after 7 years of the say rinse and repeat cycle. JMS run is not perfect and neither is Slotts, but I find JMS stories had more depth and character development when Slotts is always about setting up the next big storyline.

Slott is more of the popcorn action type of writer when JMS was a character driven writer. I think at the end of the day Amazing needs a new writer because at this point in time it looks like Slott has overstayed his welcome on the book.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it to Slott though. At least he has introduced a lot of new characters to give us a little change in spidermans life but he has a bad habit of resetting peter himself and reducing the growth he has. It is not what we as readers would want. Their is plenty to gain from a wiser spiderman after all he went through so why keep back tracking him like he can not be funny if they let him learn from his mistakes?

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

@baddog1994: Many do not find him more relatable, Having a grown man that acts like a teenager and always falls back to square one gets boring after 7 years of the say rinse and repeat cycle. JMS run is not perfect and neither is Slotts, but I find JMS stories had more depth and character development when Slotts is always about setting up the next big storyline.

Slott is more of the popcorn action type of writer when JMS was a character driven writer. I think at the end of the day Amazing needs a new writer because at this point in time it looks like Slott has overstayed his welcome on the book.

Except JMS even does popcorn action better than Slott.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.