undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

And so it ends. Spider-Versewas, regardless of what one thought of the subjective quality, a titanic undertaking. One that, against all odds, never felt phoned-in or like it was doing anything halfway, from its incredibly solid, engaging core title to its relevant, fun, though not across-the-board-great, tie-ins, this has felt like an EVENT in the truest sense of the word. Its final issue isn’t without flaw, but it’s still a great ending and for comics, great endings don’t come often. The pieces have all fallen into place, Morlun has all the ingredients to wipe spider totems from all of existence and ensure that the twisted prophecy of the Inheritors'downfall never comes to pass. There’s just one little problem. Well dozens of little problems that make for one helluva hang-up: the totems are here and they aren’t thrilled with this whole “ensure we never exist” outcome. This issue is wall-to-wall action and, shockingly, it works. It REALLY works. It’s thrilling, there are twists and turns, characters shine and everything just feels right. Part of that has been the masterful buildup that Dan Slott has executed over the last several issues, with a lot of help from the tie-ins, and it truly gives this issue a feeling of “it’s all led here and it all comes down to THIS.” Spider-Ham is back on fine form, the various totems who’ve perhaps gotten a little more attention than the others are front-and-center, but there’s very little fat in this issue. Even the spiders that are only in the background feel like they’re contributing to the greater “big fight” feel of the issue. Spider-Gwen shines as well, getting ready for her big debut in her solo series, but perhaps most importantly: the two 616 Peter Parkers finally break out and really show who they are and what they’re made of this issue, for better or for worse.

Whole lotta cooks in this artistic kitchen: we’ve got Giuseppe Camuncoli and Olivier Coipel on pencils and while the transition is an obvious one, this is one time when it actually feels right. Both in terms of the tone of the overall issue and because the series really feels like it belongs to these artists. They’ve both contributed so much to what’s made it great and for them to split the issue might feel a little jarring, but it ultimately works. Of course a huge part of that could be the kinetic, hard-hitting inks of Wade Von Grawbadger, Cam Smith and John Livesay, who help do the impossible and make this issue both readable and able to be followed. There’s a lot of chaos on these pages and the right definition and inks are never more critical. Justin Ponsor, though, needs a healthy chunk of credit too for making the artistic shift as manageable as it is and for bringing out both artists’ strengths: Coipel’s visuals are glowing and hopeful with the triumphant ride of the calvary while Camuncoli’s are the dark realities of combat and even loss.

The Bad

That big ol’ event from a few issues back. You know, that one where you-know-who "came back?" That’s the one. That...again without giving anything away, feels like it doesn’t really pay off like it should. He gets his moment, but it feels like there were any number of totems that moment could have gone to and had it be just as powerful.

The Verdict

A terrific end to an excellent event that’s been better than it has any right to be at JUST about every turn. It’s hard to say how much more or less enjoyment can be derived from the core series with or without the tie-ins, but they definitely can’t hurt, which isn’t to say this issue doesn’t stand as a powerful ending either way. It focuses on the core characters, and while that could feel like a cop-out, it actually means that the anyone not interested in picking up 6 or 7 (or 10 or 11) extra titles is still getting a great, self-contained story. There’s still an epilogue to look forward to, but this was a great ending.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thank god its over! I can read spiderman again now..

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By batmite1995

@starbrand1: yeah I know lots of people enjoyed this event but this book so far feels like a huge step down from "superior spiderman" and an army of spidermen fighting against morlun is really weird and feels out of place in a comic featuring a street level superhero like spiderman

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the shift in artists throughout Spider-Verse. Coipel works his magic, then Camuncoli comes in and it feels blah. Stiff, less organic. It puts me off.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot believe anyone thought this book was acceptable as entertainment, much less deserving of a 5-star rating.

Seriously one of the worst Spider-man stories I have ever read.

Theandric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmite1995: I'm totally with you. I loved Superior but this whole event seemed hokey to me. I may or may not be back on board depending on the artist and story arc.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theandric: I dropped spiderman for antman and I don't regret it one bit..also the sheer number of tie ins was a major turn off for me...but I will try out spider Gwen and silk books

Frogandchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Frogandchips

Pig nude? Srly?...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

5-stars huh....

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sesquipedalophobe: I was so happy with Copiel being on art again for this issue and then I turned the page half way the rough and was so disappointed

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I feel like this event started out on a high note and kind of lost its footing as it went on

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dotwilson

i cant believe all the comments above.... this book/series has been nothing but compelling and entertaining through its entire run. i would recommend it to any Spidey fan there is.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

i cant believe all the comments above.... this book/series has been nothing but compelling and entertaining through its entire run. i would recommend it to any Spidey fan there is.

Word. I've found there is a good amount of Dan Slott haters on this site. Can't wait to read this issue when I get home, this event has been fantastic.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, too, have really enjoyed this event

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 star for me it was meh

Dalwih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still hate Slott, but I really did like this event

great_k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have more complaints about this arc than positive things to say, which is a pity since this should have been an event with immense potential.
    • Slott simply does not understand peter parker amazing spider-man. While Slott was brilliant on his run with Superior Spider-man, he is simply incapable of writing material for Peter Parker to shine. His best writing in spider-verse has been Superior spider-man moments. I remember reading one post by someone stating that 616 peter parker has just sort of been along for the ride, which I agree with.
    • Forgettable battles. Honestly besides the scarlet spiders vs Jennix and Kaine's last stand, the battles have not been that engaging.
    • Killing off Kaine. Although I doubt this will be permanent, it still means that we won't be seeing the most bad-ass spider-man currently around in the short term.
    • Assassin spider-man was killed off to easily. This version of spider-man is essentially Peter Parker with his spider sense and skills pushed to his utmost peak and yet he is killed of so easily without having any impact in spider-verse.
    • Noir spider-man's small part. Noir universe has a large fan base so I was hoping that his involvement in spider-verse would be larger than it was. Especially since there is no Noir title spinning out of spider-verse unlike Spider-Gwen's, Jessica's and Silk's new series.
    • News that Spider-man 2099 is coming to an end. I loved the original spider-man 2099 series of the 90's. While the new series does not have the awesome cyberpunk feel, I was still hoping for a good run to add to Miguel's legacy. With the current series ending soon I feel as though this current run will be ultimately forgettable.
    • Where is ultimate universe's Peter Parker? He is still alive there. It does not seem plausible that Morlun's siblings would go to that universe and just forget about a living spider totem there.
    • The final battle for the spider-verse is concluded in 1 issue. The battle once again is not memorable and the so called prodigal son's largest contribution really does not seem like anything and other spider entity could not have done. Once again I highlight Slott's inability to bring the best out of peter parker as has been the trend on his current Amazing Spider-man run to date.

While there have been a fair number of positives in the spider verse event, this execution of this arc in titles other than scarlet spiders and 2099 has been mostly poor.

kingofwhales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to pick this up today. I`ve really enjoyed this event. :-)

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On another note, did this whole event last a day?

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually found the majority of the event fun to read, but this issue was just crap. The hype that was built up during the event had little to no pay off and this issue felt rushed. 2 stars as far as I'm concerned.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is such a boring event. I thought this would be my favorite part of Slott's run but it ended up being my least favorite part.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@batmite1995: Spider-Man being a "street-level" superhero is arguable, at best. The guy is one of those few characters that's versatile enough to qualify as any number of levels, considering how much he's gone through. For a while, he had cosmic powers, and his whole shtick throughout each and every run of Spider-Man has been, "It doesn't matter who it is, or what they're capable of. If they're fucking shit up, Spider-Man will fuck them up." Plus, considering that Morlun was already an established Spider-Man villain who's way above his pay grade to begin with, Spider-Man's never been a "street-level" superhero. He's just a superhero.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

very disappointing, especially after how much I enjoyed all the other issues. Extremely bummed about Kaine but I'm sure he'll be back

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only good thing about this arc was that we saw some really cool spider-characters. Without it, we'd have never gotten Spider-Gwen and i'm REALLY hoping we get a new Mayday series after it. But the event itself was really bland and overall bad. The best parts of it were the ones Slott WASN'T writing. There was no pay off to this event, it was just Slott taking JMS's run and fanboying all over it.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Amazing issue, crazy but amazing. Now if Slott stop making more major events for the series, I'll be okay.

P.S.: Would have been nice if Spider-Gwen stayed with Peter. Heck, it would be even greater if Miles hanged around as well.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

what an awesome conclusion to this event! I'm so glad that just about everything ended up working out pretty well. I'm still sad about kaine but I have high hopes that he will be returning.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looking forward to reading this I've really enjoyed this event and I nearly skipped it cause it sounded a bit daft. Then I thought. Hey it's a comic it's aloud to be a bit daft.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like Slotts entire run on Spidey, it's a solid and decent read, but it's never "amazing". I'd probably rate the event as a whole a 4/5. Spider-Ham is a BAMF though.

Prophet924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One question to ponder: if Morlun was successful in fulfilling the ritual, what would the Inheritors live on?

The question sums up my feelings on this conclusion. Why?

I liked meeting and seeing all these Spider Characters. Nice trip down memory lane. That's about it.

The actual story makes no sense. What exactly does the Weaver add to the ongoing narrative? Why should I care? Ultimately the way this ends and his its told just leaves a bad taste.

Like eating a bowl of a sugary cereal. Tastes good at first but just ends in a dry taste in the mouth and no real nutrition.

Thwipp!

deathsdoor726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IS KAINE ALIVE SOMEONE PLEASE INBOX ME

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a huge Spider-Man fan, this event was a let down. As many have already stated, it was cool to see the different spider characters interact. Besides that, I thought this even tried juggling to much. Some issues tie ins/issues had high points but the event never took off for me. The Superior Spider-Man and Mayday were the most interesting and compelling. 616 Spider-Man is at his best fighting the battles by himself against all olds and I never really felt that. Morlun was much more terrifying back in the Amazing Spider-Man 473 when Peter stated that Morluns' punches were stronger then the ones hulk and Thor have given him. In the end this event kept me intrigued but never fully satisfied my hunger for a great Spider-Man story.

takashi_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@great_k:

@great_k said:
    I have more complaints about this arc than positive things to say, which is a pity since this should have been an event with immense potential.
    • Slott simply does not understand peter parker amazing spider-man. While Slott was brilliant on his run with Superior Spider-man, he is simply incapable of writing material for Peter Parker to shine. His best writing in spider-verse has been Superior spider-man moments. I remember reading one post by someone stating that 616 peter parker has just sort of been along for the ride, which I agree with.
    • Forgettable battles. Honestly besides the scarlet spiders vs Jennix and Kaine's last stand, the battles have not been that engaging.
    • Killing off Kaine. Although I doubt this will be permanent, it still means that we won't be seeing the most bad-ass spider-man currently around in the short term.
    • Assassin spider-man was killed off to easily. This version of spider-man is essentially Peter Parker with his spider sense and skills pushed to his utmost peak and yet he is killed of so easily without having any impact in spider-verse.
    • Noir spider-man's small part. Noir universe has a large fan base so I was hoping that his involvement in spider-verse would be larger than it was. Especially since there is no Noir title spinning out of spider-verse unlike Spider-Gwen's, Jessica's and Silk's new series.
    • News that Spider-man 2099 is coming to an end. I loved the original spider-man 2099 series of the 90's. While the new series does not have the awesome cyberpunk feel, I was still hoping for a good run to add to Miguel's legacy. With the current series ending soon I feel as though this current run will be ultimately forgettable.
    • Where is ultimate universe's Peter Parker? He is still alive there. It does not seem plausible that Morlun's siblings would go to that universe and just forget about a living spider totem there.
    • The final battle for the spider-verse is concluded in 1 issue. The battle once again is not memorable and the so called prodigal son's largest contribution really does not seem like anything and other spider entity could not have done. Once again I highlight Slott's inability to bring the best out of peter parker as has been the trend on his current Amazing Spider-man run to date.

While there have been a fair number of positives in the spider verse event, this execution of this arc in titles other than scarlet spiders and 2099 has been mostly poor.

just putting this out there in reference to the The Other story line; maybe this Pete was off planet atm?

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read this issue yet, this story has been great all together. not quite sure how people have said it's lame. maybe because im a spider fan but i liked it. HOWEVER I didn't like Ben reilly dieing nor Kaine... that was the only downside.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By batmite1995
    eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I liked this story alot

MisfitMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoilers ahead.

So nobody found odd that:

- Peter says heroes don't kill, but then they send the Inheritors family to a chemical wasteland to slowly die.

- Peter also tells Morlun that if he follows the signs in that world, he will find shelter.

Was Peter mocking Morlun or was he genuinely telling him how to get saved? Cuz this doesn't make any sense. I know this was intended so the Inheritors could come back in future story lines, but what was the point?

This issue was very disapointing, even for a fan of Slott's work like me. Some good moments yeah, but the story was all over the place. I just can't stand plots where the villains are initially portrayed as overpowered but in the end get nerfed and are defeated with no trouble whatsoever.

akiro616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

......so kaine is dead? man i was hoping he was just fucked up

Prophet924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the problem of "all powerful" characters. Slott was wildly inconsistant with how these characters displayed their power. Sure he showed their Achilles heel, radiation and destruction of the cloning/soul transmitter device of immortality. But we the audience never really saw the cost. What did these great beings have to pay to get that power. Telling their story was no more intriguing than some one turning a light switch on and off.

I also had a problem with the Inheritors fate. Not so much because they didn't get their eye for an eye. It's because Peter sentenced them to it. I don't see how SpOck would have been inspired by that and saw him as the superior spiderman leading to issue #31.

It was a wasted opportunity. But it did give us Spider-Gwen. Yay!

Thwipp!

Avatar image for deactivated-63456d9a1a04f
    deactivated-63456d9a1a04f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin:

I also enjoyed it a lot. I'm glad I read the Scarlet Spiders tie-ins because it really helped the story. I didn't read any of the Spider-woman or Spiderman 2099 tie-ins. I'll get to those through Marvel Unlimited.

Prophet924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 2099 and Spider-Woman tie ins added very little to the tale. Scaler Spiders was the most significant. It was also the best part of the event.

Thwipp!

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

A very strong and memorable story. Can't wait for next issue, it seems SpOck is up to something, hmmmm....

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a fine finish to the story and tied everything it needed to. This event really gave different versions of spider-man potential and different views that was fun and the action was great. Recommended for any true fan of spider-man.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoilers ahead.

So nobody found odd that:

- Peter says heroes don't kill, but then they send the Inheritors family to a chemical wasteland to slowly die.

- Peter also tells Morlun that if he follows the signs in that world, he will find shelter.

Was Peter mocking Morlun or was he genuinely telling him how to get saved? Cuz this doesn't make any sense. I know this was intended so the Inheritors could come back in future story lines, but what was the point?

This issue was very disapointing, even for a fan of Slott's work like me. Some good moments yeah, but the story was all over the place. I just can't stand plots where the villains are initially portrayed as overpowered but in the end get nerfed and are defeated with no trouble whatsoever.

Why would Peter mock Morlun in a life or death situation? Of course he was telling him how to save himself. He lead him (and later, the rest of the Inheritors) to Uncle Ben's old bunker.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I didn't care for the conclusion or the artwork

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god its over! I can read spiderman again now..

Ha!
    You won't be able.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: but..but whyyyyy?!?!

Cuz ASM sucks since the relaunch.
    I'm sorry,the "Amazing Silk" ....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.