Review: Amazing Spider-Man #647

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Several stories about Spider-Man and his loved ones are told, all of them revolving around Harry Osborn's Halloween-themed going away party.

The Good

Since this is an anthology, it's best to focus on my favorite shorts, and the one I liked the most was definitely Gale's snarky goof on city labor unions. Wells' intense short about Harry Osborn's aggressive response to Vin's none-too-subtle threat was a nice change of pace and, remarkably, the first time I've actually rooted for the character. While I'm usually leery of comics melding superheroes and the real world, the short about Flash Thompson post-war life was handled delicately while still having a sharp point.

The Bad

Without getting too far into the One More Day/Brand New Day/One Moment in Time controversy, it's a little hard to take Peter's romance with Carlie Cooper seriously. And it's a little harder to believe that MJ would be serving as their go-between/matchmaker. Maybe it's just because I grew up with the two married, but this just feels... dirty.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

Even with my qualms about the new developments in Spidey's love life, I still think that the changes made to his supporting cast and the new directions they've been taken into are all quite sensible. Whether it's JJJ becoming Mayor, Aunt May marrying JJJ Sr. or even Harry Osborn going off on his way, it's all a lot more interesting than that status quo I've been used to for years.
#1 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was a solid issue; nothing mind-blowing, but the labor union story was pretty great

#2 Edited by Metatron_Da_Don (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't really get to liking Cooper's character either, I have an unshakable feeling she was designed to end up in Pete's refrigerator. And reading the first couple pages, I have never felt Pete was that out of touch with women. And then tops it off with a sexist comment. Felt a little bit out of character, Big Time is off to a rough start for me.

#3 Posted by Sir Duke (116 posts) - - Show Bio

If fwe could only be so lucky to see Carlie Cooper end up next to the meatloaf left overs.  She's named after Joe Quesada's daughter, so don't expect her to be anything but a Mary Sue

#4 Posted by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

Ohh for crying out loud, Spiderman should be dating Black Cat - End of story

#5 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad i don't read spider man

#6 Posted by comicbikerscott (152 posts) - - Show Bio

i've read every issuen so far
#7 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Gwen was back :(

#8 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

I am really hating this story arc 

#9 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

I dropped ASM during the Something Can Stop the Juggernaut arc and haven't looked back. 

#10 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

I havent read it, doesnt look promising.

#11 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Somebody please let Norman break out and use Carlie Cooper as the next contestant on Blonde Bridge-Toss!

#12 Posted by The Angry Comic Book Critic (650 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Hobgoblin: 
Dude 10 dollars gets you 20 that Marvel's going to give Carlie the "Gwen Stacy" Bailout within the next 100 issues cause honestly she's kind of a pointless character that was stuffed in there to give Peter a love interest because of Joe Q's insane hatred of MJ and Pete's Marriage 
#13 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Angry Comic Book Critic:
I sure hope you're right, pal. With any luck, her boring, annoying character will show people why MJ worked so well as the love interest.
#14 Posted by The Angry Comic Book Critic (650 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sir Duke: Seriously she's named after Joe's Q daughter? wow there simply is no level to which he won't sink to is there?
#15 Posted by The Angry Comic Book Critic (650 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Hobgoblin: well so far she's meeting all the requirements 1. Fan Backlash as a boring character 2. Something bad happens to her father 3. She's a forced character and She's now Petes girlfriend. just one thing left on the list a major enemy comes after her and does the "Gwen Stacy" Bailout option though I doubt it will be as simple as a swan dive off a bridge this time
#16 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't read it. 
Not gonna read it. 
AWESOME cover though.

#17 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Eeeh, now that the Origin of Species Arc is done, I feel it might be time for a Spider-Man break.  Although I do feel bad about not picking up yet another awesome cover to add to the collage, I just don't know if I have it to continue on with this bi-monthly bid-ness.

#18 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio
Place your bets on the villain who'll off her.
#19 Posted by sparty-dbq (802 posts) - - Show Bio

Still wished he would've hooked up with Norah.  Maybe it's because I like the Tomboy look on women (IF they can properly pull it off).

#20 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Delighted BND is over. Big Time sounds and looks awesome.

#21 Edited by Joe_Amazing (103 posts) - - Show Bio

When the Editor-in-Force Joe Q decreed that "Spidey shall be single", I promptly stopped collecting Marvel books and haven't looked back.  After some time, I decided to come back to collect a few titles.  Some were ok, and some were...meh.  However, once again seeing the disrespect seen to Marvel's flagship character is making me want to stop collecting Marvel all together.  If nothing else, it'll enable me to start saving some money.

#22 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

"Aunt May marrying JJJ Sr"  !!!
You mean, again??  
Hope it sticks this time around :P

#23 Posted by The Angry Comic Book Critic (650 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Hobgoblin:  Carnage he's hasn't done anything in a while or Rhino that guy has really stepped up since his gauntlet arc or perhaps the new hobgoblin
#24 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio
Goblins may be a little bit cliche, even though I'd be all for Hobby doing the deed. In that case I'll place my bet on Electro; who else would see that coming? Unless Kraven the Hunter will kill her in hopes of driving Spidey to kill him in return.... Oh the possibilities!
#25 Posted by The Angry Comic Book Critic (650 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Hobgoblin:  Kraven might actually be the best candidate for the job of offing Carlie but if thats the case it'll have to be 120 issues just so peter can become attached to her enough to  be driven to the point of actually trying to kill Kraven
#26 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio

At least it'll be in a twice a month format, or else we'd have to endure it for an actual 120 straight months! Ughh!
#27 Posted by blackkitty (327 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, here's my problem with the book, and I admit, it's a really minor trivial thing. However, exactly how oblivious is Peter? I mean, apparently anyone can put on Black Cat's wig and costume and he'll believe that's really Felicia. Even if it's someone he knows really well and ends up dating. I mean, come on!! Can you at least show us he knows his friends? please?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.