inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
      The Shed story continues with part 3 as Spider-Man hunts down the Lizard after he killed his own son Billy Connors.

The Good

I've never been a huge Spider-Man fan, but I've been off and on following everything after the events of One More Day to see how it affects Peter's life, and sometimes the stories are hits and other times, they are misses. This Shed storyline, and especially this issue is one gigantic hit. The story had two different artists, which I'd normally hate: Chris Bachalo pg. 1-5 and Emma Rios pg. 16-22. As you were reading, you could tell pretty obviously that their were different artists on the books, but both styles were very nice and complimented each other very well, for the most part. As I said when I reviewed part one of this story, I love how Bachalo sets up his panels, and I love his splash pages. There's a great amount of detail within the work and nothing is muddy or confusing when you look at the pages. My favorite part of this issue was after so many years of the Lizard being well, "The Lizard," we finally got to see an evolution of the character in mind and powers. He's now a character that could become Spidey's A-List villain. Aside from all of that, this book is flat out enjoyable and fun as heck, and luckily you don't have to wait more than two weeks for the next issue, since Amazing Spider-Man comes out three times a month!

The Bad

I mentioned the two artists on this book. The second artist Emma Rios has some great work on her pages, except for Spider-Man himself. My only real concern is that it looked way too much like Steve Ditko's work, which usually isn't a bad thing; however, in this case, the difference in between how the Spider-Men look is distracting.

The Verdict: 5/5

PICK OF THE WEEK! This was the most fun I had reading a comic this week. It's characters I grew up with, and it puts a new spin on the characters. The art and writing are fabulous, and you don't have to be following this book hardcore to understand what's going on.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Theodore

Can't wait to pick this one up!

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Icon

Great review. I'm looking forward to this issue. The Spidey books are so good right now. 

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Caligula

beautiful cover art.

and an excellent review G-Man

Edit.: Sorry Ego it was an accident. I didn't mean to write G-Man. lol.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sora_thekey

Wow It's so strange to see an Amazing Spider-Man Issue to be anyone's pick of the week!
    I will totally get this!

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By lostlantern13
    @Caligula said:
    "beautiful cover art.  and an excellent review G-Man "

Check the by-line :) 

I haven't gotten my books yet, but I do agree that this storyline has done wonders for The Lizard. Can't wait to see this, curse you for getting me excited!!! :P
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#6  Edited By MTHarman

Gave me a headache trying to make out what im looking at and understanding what im reading.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Caligula said:
    "excellent review G-Man "
    You figured out I was Gman? But how? 

@sora_thekey said:
    " Wow It's so strange to see an Amazing Spider-Man Issue to be anyone's pick of the week! I will totally get this! "

I'm not even the biggest S.M. fan, but this issue was so much fun, and the thing is, there were tons of other great books this week too!
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Caligula
    @inferiorego said:

" @Caligula said:

"excellent review G-Man "
    You figured out I was Gman? But how? 

@sora_thekey said:
    " Wow It's so strange to see an Amazing Spider-Man Issue to be anyone's pick of the week! I will totally get this! "
    I'm not even the biggest S.M. fan, but this issue was so much fun, and the thing is, there were tons of other great books this week too! "
    hahaha, I am so used to typing G-Man that my mind automatically typed the words lol. sorry ego. 
    It was a great review still.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Caligula: phew my secret is safe again.... 
    and thanks!
    The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By The Jeff

this issue was probably the lamest spider-man issue I've read in years. I hate the Lizard and I hate Bachalo's artwork. If I didn't love Spider-Man so much  I would drop this book

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sparty-dbq

I'd give it a 3.5, maybe a 4/5.  Bachalo's really winning me over, but I'm still not a huge fan of Rios' fill-in art.  Going from bug-eyed Spidey to early 70's-eyed Spidey takes me out of it for a second.

I'm also not crazy about Lizard's new power, which apparently centers around controlling the aggression and animalistic urges of guys.  And also is apparently about to result in a very public raping.

BTW, I would sooooooooo watch "Dancing with the Ex-Avengers."
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MTHarman

This coloring book thats PICK OF THE WEEK can't compare anywhere near Thanos Imperative.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @MTHarman said:
    " This coloring book thats PICK OF THE WEEK can't compare anywhere near Thanos Imperative. "
    different strokes for different folks

I didn't get a chance to pick up the Thanos book, so I couldn't tell ya
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MTHarman

Without any rants, I honestly dislike how Marvel tries to become artistic with some of their comics, I do see the artistic in this comic, but myself and possibly others feel that it wasn't necessary. Mostly those who grew up reading Marvel like I did.  
    I know what this comic was trying to do, and in a way some fans got it and some didn't. It tried to take a Mcfarlane approach, but it actually became difficult to make out what I was reading or looking at.

Some or many Marvel fans like the art to be basic and original instead of detailed and artistic, so I agree with you on that phrase 
    But yeah, not to purposely downsize this comic, I would get the Thanos issue because it was very satisfying to read out of the whole batch of comics I got today.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @MTHarman:  I'm actually a huge fan of the art on the first 16 pages. I really like seeing artists break the mold and get away from the cookie cutter madness you see with a lot of books. Even if the art isn't extremely detailed, and looks more cartoony than anything else, as long as it conveys the message the writer is putting out there, and doesn't annoy me, I can put up with it. But there's just something about Bachalo's panel composition and line structure that I personally really love.
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MTHarman
    @inferiorego said:
    " @MTHarman:  I'm actually a huge fan of the art on the first 16 pages. I really like seeing artists break the mold and get away from the cookie cutter madness you see with a lot of books. Even if the art isn't extremely detailed, and looks more cartoony than anything else, as long as it conveys the message the writer is putting out there, and doesn't annoy me, I can put up with it. But there's just something about Bachalo's panel composition and line structure that I personally really love. "

I honestly careless about artwork, im more into the storylines and being able to understand it easily. But as I read through the 16 pages I tried to make out what was happening and it was becoming difficult to put both artwork and storyline together which really got confusing. Maybe for a different title, but to have this happen in a successful title like Amazing Spiderman was very risky for Marvel. 
    Artwork was good, and storyline was good, but I felt it didn't mix in the Shed storyline. 
    misterz173

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 118

#17  Edited By misterz173

I haven't even had a chance to read Shed,Part 2. I'm going to get this issue along with Part 2

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MTHarman

So far many people are disliking this comic, besides comicvine.
    Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Praetor_fenix

Powerful and disturbing book, i also give it a 5/5.

Ovidyuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Ovidyuu

the artwork is the worst i have seen in a comic ...and i have read a lot of comics

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.