Review: Amazing Spider-Man #631

Posted by inferiorego (22646 posts) - - Show Bio
Spider-Man vies to save the son of Curt Conners, as the Lizard-side battles Curt for dominance over his body. In addition, the daughter of Kraven, Ana Kravinoff, is also a key player in this story. Can Spider-Man overcome these obstacles to save a life?

The Good

I've never really been a fan of the Lizard, until this issue. I really enjoyed the inner battle as The Lizard made his choices within this book: the battle between Curt's humanity and The Lizard's primal urges. This issue comes down to one thing, family. Do we come together as a family, or does our own selfish acts tear the family apart? The art in this book is dynamic, and over-all an A, but what is better than the art is the actual composition. I love seeing characters break out of panels, and even captions themselves collapsing under the weight of the story, which we have happen here a few times. There is so much to love about this issue and story. I could go on all day, but I'd like to leave some surprises to the reader. I can't wait to read the next issue, and luckily, this book comes out three times a month, so I don't have to wait long.

The Bad

I want to know so much more about Kraven's kids, but they're not really a huge part of this issue. I'm sure all the info I need was in the Kraven's First Hunt storyline though.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

I've never been the biggest Spider-Man fan, but there have been a few issues that I've really enjoyed, and this is now one of them. Maybe I read a little to into this issue, but that's what made it so enjoyable for me.
Staff
#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

The comeback Lizard deserved!

#2 Posted by Icon (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

The Gauntlet has been great stuff. I'm more into the Spidey books now than I have been in a while. 

#3 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue is a prime example of why The Lizard would be a compelling Spider-Man movie villain. 

You've got the internal struggle of the family-man, the horror aspect of this big, savage lizard, and the relationship of Peter/Conners. It all combines for this intense, personal hero/villain relationship.  

I've enjoyed this arc a lot. It's a simple sort of storyline, but it's executed very well.

#4 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
The Lizard has been at good form since his return. Without spoiling anything, I didn't saw some of the developments in this issue coming.
#5 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I was reading Amazing Spider-man .. :(

#6 Posted by sora_thekey (8159 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to read this!

#7 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so glad they got Chris Bachalo for this story arc, and I loved all the Lizard captions,  the combination of the 2 creates a great new image for The Lizard

#8 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

bachalo on spiderman sounds grrrreat
#9 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

It was really goooooood.

#10 Posted by FatBoiFreshh (43 posts) - - Show Bio

im really gettin in to this ark [killer] the villians have impressed me very much

#11 Posted by RomaTotti10 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

This was 4.5 for me too.

#12 Posted by mattydeNero (525 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish that Bachalo could've handled the art of the entire issue.
#13 Posted by Gennadius (244 posts) - - Show Bio

I love bachalo IMHO he made the lizardman part of the gauntlet really awesome (and some parts of messiah complex and the amazing spiderman maya-death-god serie really really awesome)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.