Follow

The Amazing Spider-Man

Movie » The Amazing Spider-Man released on July 03, 2012.

A Marc Webb directed reboot of the Spider-Man film franchise, retelling the origin story of Peter Parker, the Amazing Spider-Man.

Will The Amazing Spider-Man Reboot Suck ?

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

Edited By toekneebeeears

While watching the trailers for The Amazing Spider-Man I

noticed that during the dinner scene Gwen says that "Peter lives with his

aunt and uncle." In this same scene they are discussing Spider-Man. This

leads me to believe that Uncle Ben dies after Peter becomes Spider-Man. How

will this effect Peter's motivation ? In this video I discuss this matter.

Watch the video and tell me if you agree or disagree.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deranged Midget

Well technically, Peter was Spiderman while Uncle Ben was still alive but his death motivated him to use his "great power" with "great responsibility".

And I think the movie will do just fine. Can't completely judge it off a trailer.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By toekneebeeears

@Deranged Midget: Technically you are correct; Peter was Spider-Man before Uncle Ben's death. However, he did not decide to fight crime until after Ben's death. In this trailer at the dinner table Cap. Stacey is talking about Spider-Man saying that he is a vigilante after Gwen says that Peter lives with his aunt and uncle. I would assume that Ben is still alive when peter decides to fight crime. If this is true, it totally screws up Peter's motivation to become a crime fighter. That would ruin the movie for me. I will wait until I see the movie before I pass judgment. I don't ever want to see a bad Spider-Man movie. However, I have serious doubts about this movie.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Looks fantastic. A hell of a lot better than the Avengers, at least. 

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Skunkstein

I think it will do about as good at the first Raimi Spider-Man worse than the second, better than the third... that is at the reviews, i dont know about box office, proberly worse than all three.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By toekneebeeears

@FadeToBlackBolt:

I'm sorry; I have to disagree with you. The Avengers movielooks fantastic to me. But, to each his own.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @toekneebeeears: I think it'll be fun, but it looks like the Transformers movie. Lots of action, plenty of explosions, but no real depth, you know?  

Amazing Spidey really seems to have gravity to it. 
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deranged Midget

@toekneebeeears: Nothing states that he actually fights crime before Ben's death. He could just be swinging around and testing out his abilities, etc.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@toekneebeeears: I think it'll be fun, but it looks like the Transformers movie. Lots of action, plenty of explosions, but no real depth, you know? Amazing Spidey really seems to have gravity to it.

I don't know about that. Whedon is writing it so while I doubt it'll lack depth, it still won't measure up to a film based around a single character.

I'm massively excited for both but I never fully judge a film until I watch it.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toekneebeeears

@Skunkstein: Regarding the box office, I think it wouldn’t do as good as the previous Spider-Man films. Much like X-Men: First Class, it has a lot to prove. People still have Spider-Man 3 in their heads and most people did not like that movie. They will be apprehensive about the reboot.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

I understand the concern, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Uncle Ben has to die in a Spider-Man origin story. That's like Spider-Man 101.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toekneebeeears

@FadeToBlackBolt: You see, that's the thing. I feel that Amazing Spider-man has too much gravity. It's too heavy, especially for a character like Spider-Man. Peter's parents abandon him, he is teased at school, his uncle dies, his girlfriend's father chases him like a criminal, his father's partner turns into a monster because of Peter's help and tries to kill him, and all this happens in one movie. It has way too many heavy things crammed in one movie. Can't they save some things for the sequel? All these heavy emotional things give the movie a way too dark and depressing tone.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambit1024: I don't think there is any doubt that he will die, seemingly because the film looks dark as it is, but at what point will he die.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toekneebeeears

@Deranged Midget: Cap. Stacey calls Spider-Man a vigilante. That suggests that Spider-Man tries to stop crime.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deranged Midget

@toekneebeeears: Presumably yes, but we'll have to wait and see until the film releases. My guess is that he has a go at crime but doesn't take it seriously until Uncle Ben dies.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

That would be a hell of an ending though if that's how they decide to approach it. Like the whole movie is built up, the Lizard's defeated, Peter doesn't know if superheroism is right for him, and boom. He gets the news that Ben dies and that he could've saved him. He beats the murderer ro a bloody mess, says "with great power comes great responsibility", and swings off. Credits.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toekneebeeears

@Gambit1024: The timing of Uncle Ben's death is very important. If Spider-Man fights crime before Ben's death then Spider-Man is already using his powers responsibly and Peter does not learn anything and does not grow as a character. Ben's death then becomes meaningless because he does not teach Peter

anything and there is no reason for him to die. It's just like Batman. Why would Bruce Wayne become Batman if his parents were not killed by a criminal? A

character has to have motivation to be interesting. Just because, is not enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

I'm looking forward to it...

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I think it's looking very promising indeed.

PeterParked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PeterParked

Definitely want to watch it, but i go in with an open mind.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toekneebeeears

@Deranged Midget: But why would he fight crime? He has to have motivation to do something like that. Peter had no desire to fight crime before Ben's death. In the beginning he is very selfish. All he wants to do is make money. There is no profit in fighting crime. (Unless he becomes Dog the bounty hunter. “Spider the bounty hunter" lol ) If he is not selfish and irrespirable in the beginning then they are not staying true to the character.

Hypothetically speaking , if he does become a bounty hunter

he would not be able to wear the mask. People would know his secret identity if

he wanted to get paid. Sorry I went off topic there.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

@PeterParked said:

Definitely want to watch it, but i go in with an open mind.

As should everyone.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toekneebeeears

@Gambit1024: But, then Uncle Ben's death changes nothing. He still fights crime which is what he was doing already.

If anything it would make him not want to fight crime because fighting crime led to Uncle Ben's death. If he did not become Spider-Man Uncle Ben would still be alive.

sky-pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sky-pirate

@toekneebeeears: However, we don't see her saying it at the dinner, but rather during other shots in between the shot of Stacey asking Peter about himself and them bringing up Spider-Man. Hence, Gwen's line about Peter living with his aunt and uncle could be in another scene, earlier in the film.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By toekneebeeears

@sky-pirate: You are right. Trailers are sometimes misleading. However Gwen says it in both trailers and both times it appears to be during the dinner scene. In the second trailer the trailer cuts away more times than the first so you might be correct. But, I’m so confident that I am

right willing to make a friendly wager that I am right. Here is my bet. I plan on making a video review of this movie. If you are right I will publicly say in my video that sky-pirate from comic vine was right and I was wrong. However, if I am right I will say that I am right and Sky-Pirate is wrong. But, I don't have to use your name sky-pirate if you don't want me to. I could just say someone you know who you are. I have 647 subscribers to my Youtube channel. That’s a lot of people who will know that you were right if you win the bet. What do you think? Do we have a bet?

sky-pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sky-pirate

@toekneebeeears said:

@sky-pirate: You are right. Trailers are sometimes misleading. However Gwen says it in both trailers and both times it appears to be during the dinner scene. In the second trailer the trailer cuts away more times than the first so you might be correct. But, I’m so confident that I am

right willing to make a friendly wager that I am right. Here is my bet. I plan on making a video review of this movie. If you are right I will publicly say in my video that sky-pirate from comic vine was right and I was wrong. However, if I am right I will say that I am right and Sky-Pirate is wrong. But, I don't have to use your name sky-pirate if you don't want me to. I could just say someone you know who you are. I have 647 subscribers to my Youtube channel. That’s a lot of people who will know that you were right if you win the bet. What do you think? Do we have a bet?

Just saw trailer No. 3 and saw Gwen say it at the dinner table. So, unless the Spider-Men mentioning takes place in a latter scene, where Peter have dinner again with the Stacys (or the Gwen shot was one of those scenes, they do for the trailer and don't have in the actual movie) it seems like you're right.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

It looks pretty good. It took a while to get use to the emo looking Peter though..

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By toekneebeeears

@sky-pirate: So, you’re not going to bet me ? :( ... Well at lest yousaid I'm right. lol : ) Well we'll see if I am right or wrong when the movie comes out.

toekneebeeears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By toekneebeeears

@BiteMe-Fanboy: I don't think I will ever get used to emo Peter. He is supposed to be a nerd not an emo kid.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.