Website "Confirms" That Rhys Ifans Is Playing Norman Osborn?

Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio

The Amazing Spider-Man movie seemed like it had the potential to be perfect comic book adaptation on the big screen. Strangely, recent updates of the movie suggests that the adaptation might not be any better than Fox's X-Men: First Class. Avi Arad's claim that this movie "is not completely a reboot" makes it even harder to believe with this "official" update.

Ifran Khan, the Bollywood actor speculated to be playing the Proto-Goblin confirmed his role and his co-star, Rhys Ifans' role on his "official" website. This is what was posted on the front page of his website: 

Irfan Khan To Play A Villain Role In Hollywood’s Upcoming Film – Spider-Man Reboot
11 February 2011: Well, this is another celebration time for Bollywood’s most talented and versatile actor, Irfan Khan, who will be seen this time playing a villain role in the Hollywood’s upcoming film – Spider-Man Reboot.

In this movie, Irfan will be seen playing the character of Nels Van Atter, who later transforms into the Proto-Goblin, a monstrous villain with superhuman strength, intellect, stamina and agility. He would be joined by the Welsh actor Rhys Ifans as Norman Osborn (Green-Goblin) and actress Annie Parisse playing the role of Irfan’s wife. Spider-Man Reboot is a new sequel of Spider-Man 3, but this time the British-American actor Andrew Garfield will be getting the chance to play the lead role of the celebrated web-slinger in place of Tobey Maguire. The movie is scheduled to hit theaters on July 3, 2012.

So originally Ifans was set to play the Lizard, and now he's Norman Osborn? I am not sure to to respond at this piece of news. I am not even sure if this should be considered official news since it claims to be a sequel to Spider-Man 3. Had it not been confirmed that the villain was the Lizard
If the movie was to focus on Proto-Goblin alone, it would make sense to have Osborn be the cause of this monstrosity. It would make this movie a full-length adaptation of Spider-Man #-1. Does it make more sense to have this movie focus on this "flashback story" rather than take a more mainstream approach?

-- Geo ( sora_thekey) 3-Year Whiskey Media user, and 24/7geek! -- Follow me on Twitter:  @sora_thekey
#1 Edited by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

It would make a bit more sense to have the Green Goblin in the origin story for the Proto Goblin. 

#2 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it had already been confirmed that Rhys Ifans was going to play the Lizard not Norman Osborn. Did they rewrite the script or something right in the middle of filming?

#3 Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: That's what I thought.
@CrimsonAvenger: Maybe they wanted us to think it was The Lizard! Now that I think of it, when Marvel.com announced the addition of Ifans to the cast, the announcement only said "villain".
Everybody must have made it official instead of Sony.
#4 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" @Emperor Gonzo Noir: That's what I thought.
@CrimsonAvenger: Maybe they wanted us to think it was The Lizard! Now that I think of it, when Marvel.com announced the addition of Ifans to the cast, the announcement only said "villain". Everybody must have made it official instead of Sony. "
That's right, when the first photo of Andrew garfield in costume was released his costume was damaged and everybody assumed it was claw marks from the Lizard.
#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and it's also a sequel, not a reboot.

eyeroll

#6 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

I am confused now.

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not often you get a Bollywood actor in a comic book film :)

#8 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by BigRed125 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, something about that report just doesn't feel...trustworthy.  Its a sequel. Um...unless something happened when peter got de-aged and sent back to high school I find that very unlikely lol 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.