Sony Begins Viral Ad Campaign for 'The Amazing Spider-Man'

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Prepare to see plenty of buzz about the upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man movie throughout the day thanks to Spidey's marketing team. You may have seen a website titled theuntoldstorybegins.com/#, and you may have noticed that it's currently pretty bare with the exception of the list of select cities where fans can schedule a screening to an event that "you will not want to miss" on Monday, February 6th, 2012. What does it mean? What is the screening for? What will it reveal? Well, no one really knows (yet), but If you happen to live in one of the select cities then you may want to sign up to check out the screening for yourself.

In addition to the suspense behind the screening, people living in these select cities may also have noticed a not so subtle marketing campaign by the film's production company. That giant, bleeding red spider splashed across famous landmark buildings such as the Sydney Opera House in Australia and the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France were no accident; and we think it might be related to tomorrow's big reveal. Several eyewitnesses caught the projection of the image on film.

== TEASER ==

So what will be revealed during the screening? While that continues to remain a mystery, we do have some significant news about the upcoming film straight from the film's director, Marc Webb. Latino Review recently obtained a copy of the Comic-Con Annual magazine where Webb discusses the upcoming film, due to hit theaters on July 3rd, 2012. In it, the movie director reveals how this Peter Parker is very different from Sam Raimi's Peter Parker and how actress Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy character will challenge Peter mentally, and definitely keep him on his toes.

We’ve seen Mary Jane. I also think that Gwen Stacy is a young scientifically minded woman who’s super smart, maybe even a little bit smarter than Peter at times. I like that dynamic, that there was a rivalry between the two of them in some way. And I think Emma and Andrew’s chemistry really describes that in a fun, very intimate way.

In addition to that little tidbit, Webb also divulges on the decision to shoot The Amazing Spider-Man in 3-D and how if there were ever a film that should be 3-D, it's Spidey's.

When we first talked about it, it was in the heyday of 3D and there was a lot of craziness about it. But it was never forced upon us. I thought if there’s ever a movie that should be in 3D, it’s Spider-Man for crying out loud. And watching it in 3D, particularly in IMAX, even the early stuff I’ve seen, it’s fantastic. You get a visceral feeling that you don’t get any other way when you have good 3D. We shot this all in stereo so it was native 3D. Nothing has been converted. And when you get that scope, the movie gradually expands. It starts off in a very intimate, small way and gradually expands to take advantage of that sensation. So do you have to see it in 3D? No, you’ll still get the thrill of it. But those point-of-view sequences, those came very directly from a philosophy about putting the audience in Spider-Man’s shoes. We wanted them to feel what he feels, and that’s where those sequences came from.

Webb reveals the depth of the relationship between Dr. Curt Connors who starts out as an ally of Parker's but gradually becomes one of his greatest adversaries. Webb is adamant about his film being very different from the previous Spider-Man film's we've seen. You can check out the complete interview here.

What do you think of the upcoming movie? Are you getting excited for the film's release? Do you think Webb's vision for Spider-Man is very different from Raimi's?

Source: Latino Review

#1 Posted by CitizenJP (596 posts) - - Show Bio

Still diggin the costume. Looks awesome imo.

#2 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7711 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff :)

#3 Posted by Hot_Karl (288 posts) - - Show Bio

But today is Tuesday, Feb the 6th!

Ok, so that's the Amazing Spider-Man screening that some people on Twitter are yapping about. Okay. Kinda like what they did with The Dark Knight Rises footage or Avatar & Tron Legacy when they were trying to give people a bit of that footage without giving too much away. Kinda neat. Still not particularly interested in the movie, and it's unfortunately too late to see the footage today, but at least they're drumming up interest relatively early.

#4 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

well this movie sounds like it will be a huge event, I hope it can live up to the hype!

#5 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, great stuff! Im psyched.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33091 posts) - - Show Bio
@VinceNotVance said:

Ok, so that's the Amazing Spider-Man screening that some people on Twitter are yapping about. Okay. Kinda like what they did with The Dark Knight Rises footage or Avatar & Tron Legacy when they were trying to give people a bit of that footage without giving too much away. Kinda neat. Still not particularly interested in the movie, and it's unfortunately too late to see the footage today, but at least they're drumming up interest relatively early.

it's Monday where I am
#7 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@VinceNotVance said:

it's Monday where I am

Yeah. Besides, Monday is the 6th brah.

#8 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though it is against Spider-Man's character, I feel like this movie (or any Spider-Man movie) should be really violent. Not over the top Punisher: War Zone violent but still really violent. I can't say why though....

#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

If I keep feeling this positive about the film, I'm sure to be disappointed... but it looks good :)

I wonder what happens tomorrow (Feb 7th)?

#10 Posted by Hot_Karl (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: @spiderbat87: Crap, meant to write Monday. Damn autocorrect. But yeah, either way, today's the 6th, so the footage was already shown to peeps.

#11 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@VinceNotVance: =P

@xerox_kitty said:

If I keep feeling this positive about the film, I'm sure to be disappointed... but it looks good :)

Happened to me with Thor. Never hated a comic book film that much. For real.

#12 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard about this. That's awesome. Has it ever been done before? Advertising a movie with a projected symbol on world famous monuments and locations?

#13 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Here in New York, they had Andrew Garfield, who answered a few questions. They also showed some new clips

#14 Posted by CookieVonDoom (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks widespread enough but not one city in Scandinavia. That's a bummer! Oh well, viral ad campaigns are always cool. I especially remember the one for Bioshock 2.

#15 Posted by Icon (2056 posts) - - Show Bio

We didn't get a preview here in Canada so I'm a little bummed out (and jealous of all you who got to see it) but I'm really excited for the new teaser. I love the marketing behind the new film so far.

#16 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure hope this is better than I think it will be...

#17 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

i bet these videos are shot by the people making the movie

#18 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

some good movies coing out...

#19 Posted by phantom64 (13 posts) - - Show Bio

My only real demand for this new spider-man is this: MAKE HIM WITTY AND FUNNY!

Yeah, Spidy has has a crap life, but when he has the mask on he doesn't let it get him down. He makes puns, he jokes, he makes wisecracks. He doesn't mope around 24/7. That's what pissed me off about the Raimi Spider-Man series, he rarely made jokes and was emo for almost all of it.

Please Sony, for the love of God, MAKE SPIDER-MAN A WISECRACKING JOKSTER!

#20 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

So, some folks on twitter who already saw a twenty minute screening are saying very positive things about the movie. We might have another good movie on our hands.

The official trailer drops at 3:00 AM EST.

#21 Posted by WildValentine (289 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't help but pity Marvel. They're releasing a film on July 3 - that means it has two weeks or so of life before The Dark Knight Rises comes along, stomps it to death and kicks it out of the box-office race.

#22 Posted by SexualLobster (995 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantom64 said:

My only real demand for this new spider-man is this: MAKE HIM WITTY AND FUNNY!

Yeah, Spidy has has a crap life, but when he has the mask on he doesn't let it get him down. He makes puns, he jokes, he makes wisecracks. He doesn't mope around 24/7. That's what pissed me off about the Raimi Spider-Man series, he rarely made jokes and was emo for almost all of it.

Please Sony, for the love of God, MAKE SPIDER-MAN A WISECRACKING JOKSTER!

From what I've heard from people who attended last year's San Diego Comic con (spelled right?) Amazing Spiderman panel said that he cracs jokes, and there's a part where he messes with a carjacker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSKA1tm0i-A This guy will explain it around the 8 50 mark.

#23 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@xerox_kitty said:

Was it that bad for you? :/
#24 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne said:

@ReVamp said:

@xerox_kitty said:

Was it that bad for you? :/

Yeah. There was just too much wrong with it. Costumes, Fight scenes, Asgardians. It was like a soap Opera that wanted to be an action movie. I don't know, I might right up a full blog on it. And what was good in it, because there were a few things, just doesn't appeal much to me as a fan.

#25 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: How much do you know about Thor?
#26 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne said:

I know quite a lot about the classical mythological figure, I know a lot about Valkyrie. I know more than enough about Thor to know what little of the plot was there, like characters and the rest, I knew every one of those. It just doesn't mean I really like those points [I love asgardians though. A lot].

#27 Posted by Link1987 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

:( No Toronto events. Very curious about what this could be

#28 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

I know quite a lot about the classical mythological figure, I know a lot about Valkyrie. I know more than enough about Thor to know what little of the plot was there, like characters and the rest, I knew every one of those. It just doesn't mean I really like those points [I love asgardians though. A lot].

We are not talking about the classic mythological figure. We're talking about Marvel's Thor :P So how much do you know about that Thor?
#29 Edited by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

We are not talking about the classic mythological figure. We're talking about Marvel's Thor :P So how much do you know about that Thor?

I just told you. Second sentence.

EDIT: We're really Off-Topic. LOL.

#30 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

I just told you. Second sentence.

EDIT: We're really Off-Topic. LOL.

True, I forgot this is a Spider-Man thread. SORRY, FOLKS.
#31 Posted by LordRequiem (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

I have my reservations about Garfield as Parker simply because even though he's geeky looking, spidey is still pretty built, and this guy just isn't. Also I worry for the appearance of the Lizard, as the one I know and love has a snout and resembles TAS version. We shall see what unfolds.

#32 Posted by The Impersonator (5403 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

Sure hope this is better than I think it will be...

#33 Edited by haydenclaireheroes (9011 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so excited to see this movie.

#34 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9011 posts) - - Show Bio

@WildStyle: I am glad to hear that this movie is getting positive reviews. I am so excited for this movie because I am a big Spider-man fan.

#35 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem said:

I have my reservations about Garfield as Parker simply because even though he's geeky looking, spidey is still pretty built, and this guy just isn't. Also I worry for the appearance of the Lizard, as the one I know and love has a snout and resembles TAS version. We shall see what unfolds.

He doesn't look anything like he did in TAS or the comics. No Lab coat or snout. He has a mostly human face....in fact, he looks more like Abomination from The Incredible Hulk movie, except miniature and with scales, and a tail. Kinda disappointing...

#36 Edited by Deafz (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem:

Looks built enough for me. I've always loved ultimate spider-man and Peter looks like a slim geek in that as well (untill he puts his spidey suit on that is) :p I'm hoping that overall they go more into the Ultimate direction. The high school setting and web shooters make for a good start :D

#37 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

Just thought I'd mention to everyone the Lizard used to look more like he does in the movie.

#38 Posted by thephantomstranger (129 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpidermanWins said:

I heard about this. That's awesome. Has it ever been done before? Advertising a movie with a projected symbol on world famous monuments and locations?

The Dark Knight did something similar with the bat symbol...dammit I wish they still had the same viral team for the Dark Knight Rises...

#39 Posted by atdt (48 posts) - - Show Bio

simply awesome ..........

#40 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I think that I may have to move to Sydney!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.