New Details & Images for 'The Amazing Spider-Man' Movie Released

• 52 results
Posted by G-Man (31791 posts) - - Show Bio

Colombia Pictures has a website for the July 3, 2012 release of The Amazing Spider-Man. There are some potential spoilers so read with caution.

Clicking on 'The Story' tab gives us a little more information.

Like most teenagers his age, Peter is trying to figure out who he is and how he got to be the person he is today. In his journey to put the pieces of his past together he uncovers a secret that his father held… a secret that will ultimately shape his destiny as Spider-Man. This is the first in a series of movies that tells a different side of the Peter Parker story. On July 3rd, 2012, the untold story begins.

We saw in the first trailer that young Peter is told by his father that he and his mother need to take care of something and Peter will be staying with his aunt and uncle. He does find an old messenger bag belonging to his father that could contain those secrets.

The website also gives some background on each character.

== TEASER ==

Peter Parker

Ever since Peter's parents disappeared at 13 years old, he has struggled to find his purpose in life. Now, on the bring of unlocking the mystery about what happened to them, he must face the ultimate challenge — one that has been created within the laboratories of Oscorp.

Gwen Stacy

Smart, charismatic and rebellious, Gwen is the chief Intern at Oscorp, a position she takes very seriously. But her life takes a complicated turn as she watches both her boyfriend, Peter, and her mentor, Dr. Connors, undergo radical transformations.

Captain Stacy

An esteemed police officer for over twenty years, Captain Stacy is the public face of the NYPD who leads the department's investigation into Spider-Man's vigilantism. The only thing Captain Stacy vows to protect more than the city is his family — particularly his only daughter, Gwen.

Dr. Curt Connors

One of Oscorp's leading scientific minds. Dr. Connors attempts to engineer a revolutionary regeneration serum to help re-grow limbs and human tissue. His motivations are unclear as to why he elects to to be the first human test subject — but what becomes evident is that something goes horribly wrong.

What is the secret that Peter discovers? Were his parents in S.H.I.E.L.D.? That's possible and makes sense (along with info from the comics) but would Colombia be allowed to use 'S.H.I.E.L.D.'? Perhaps the secret is some designs for webshooters or maybe designs for costume fabric to explain how he makes his costume.

July 3 will be coming quickly. Thoughts? Are you more excited now?

Staff
#1 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Dennis Leary is in this movie?

#2 Posted by danhimself (22447 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds like they've got multiple movies planned.....awesome!

#3 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8063 posts) - - Show Bio

wonder if Proto goblins stil in it..

#4 Posted by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daveyo520 said:

Dennis Leary is in this movie?

He looks old.

#5 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roldan: I am sure he is old.

#6 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Stacy's gonna die, isn't he :(

And then Gwen in the sequels :(

#7 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how this is sort of a mix between regular Spider-man and ultimate Spider-man

#8 Edited by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

This film is looking amazing, this looks like the best comic adaption of all time, other than the italian batman...

#9 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Closer and closer to the release

#10 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems weird that there is no Jameson in the movie, that makes me wonder if we wont get much about the bugle other than that billboard that spidey tagged. Looking forward to this one!

#11 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what will happen with this movie but I love the actress

#12 Posted by CitizenJP (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahmagawd Ahmagawd awesome.

#13 Posted by sora_thekey (8159 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber: He's not. If you go to the website's "Cast" tab you'll see that the actor who was speculated to be the Proto-Goblin is playing a different character now.

@MetropolisKid41: I'm thinking that this movie will be low-scale compared to the others. Spider-Man probably hasn't saved the world, let alone Manhattan so everything will against the Lizard on the down-low. Peter is probably still off Jameson's radar.

I wonder if Gwen's relationship with Peter will be developed throughout the film or if she and him are already dating right away?

#14 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8985 posts) - - Show Bio

I am super excited for this movie. I have been a spider-man fan for the longest time. I think out of all the movies that have come out in the recent years this a movie I am most excited for.

Something that I think will make this reboot work is that it is totally different from the original Spider-man movies. I think the story could surprise us.

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I. CANT. WAIT. 

Does any one else think the big secret is Petes fathers creation of the venom suit?

#16 Posted by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

His parent's left when he was 13? I may not be remembering the first trailer very well but the young Peter Parker didn't look 13.....I'd say between 8 and 10 at the most. If they start him at 13 that doesn't leave a lot of time for him to be raised by his aunt and uncle or for Uncle Ben to have forgotten about the briefcase. Even if they put him at 17 or 18, which seems likely given Gwen is an intern at a major research company, that's not a lot of time for them to be gone. But a decade of time definitely has more impact.

Really not liking the "untold story" push here but I do understand why the studios want to distinguish it from the Raimi films though to be honest by Spider-Man 3 I'm not sure it had a large enough fan-base following that new audiences would need to be concerned with this being the "untold story" of Spider-Man's origins.

Still waiting to see some bit of info or some trailer time that lets us know how intelligent Peter is. This seems to be a key aspect of his character that is being left a mystery because its one of the most consistent aspects of his character in any medium or multiverse. Yet we don't know what his intelligence is like in this film. Is he as smart or smarter than Gwen and just slacks off in school (which would be a nice twist) or is he just an average student.

Glad they didn't go immediately to the Bugle supporting staff and I think you can still use the Bugle without showcasing J.J. and the rest because the Daily Bugle headlines can still be shown and J.J. can have an editor's column or a quick few seconds on a talk show where he rants about Spider-Man being a menace.....if in fact Spider-Man is officially known or photographed.

The more and more I see of the new costume design the more I like it. I know people are having issues with the texture part but I think it works very well and fits with the idea of the suit being like another identity for Peter (at least at this point in his development) because of how different it looks.

#17 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8063 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey: YAY ;D

#18 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Have that feeling it's gonna be a lot more darker then people expect.

#19 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I read somewhere that this actually takes place in somewhere in the first movie...like when he got his powers...So its not an total reboot.

#20 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

Soon you will be mine Emma Stone....soon

#21 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

This better not be some pathetic teen angst movie because the first trailer and subsequent releases definetly give off that vibe. If they do introduce JJ either in this movie or a sequel I think JK Simmons should reprise his role. He was by far the best part of the Raimi Spider-Man movies. And Emma Stone really pulls off the blonde look. She could work in my lab anyday

#22 Posted by Bergquist (695 posts) - - Show Bio

they should have made Emma Stone be MJ she looks more like a super model ^_^ it would be nice to have a hot MJ in a movie for once

#23 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bergquist said:

they should have made Emma Stone be MJ she looks more like a super model ^_^ it would be nice to have a hot MJ in a movie for once

Couldn't agree more! Kirsten would've been a good Gwen Stacey, didn't care for her MJ.

#24 Posted by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

that was an internet rumor that's long been proven false and the studios have confirmed this is a full reboot.

#25 Edited by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

Connors and Parker look lamer than ever before. this all sounds awful

#26 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Huzzah, they've actually gotten the Stacy's characters right this time!

#27 Posted by MutieLover (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@Meteorite said:

Gwen was never particularly smart...or had a real personality. At least in the original 60's/70's run. This Gwen seems to be pulling attributes from the "Ultimate Spider-Man" and the "Spectacular Spider-Man" cartoon.

#28 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

@Baddamdog said:

Soon you will be mine Emma Stone....soon

I called dibs on her when Superbad came out! ::Chuckles::

Seriously though this new bit of information for the movie does make it more appealing now that I've taken a gander at it.

#29 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

spider fans are gonna hate because they hate when spiderman dates anybody who isn't mary jane

#30 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma Stone is hot :)

#31 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#32 Posted by Mutant4life (20 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks awesome!!!

#33 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is going to be gooooooood!

#34 Posted by teoP_ehT (155 posts) - - Show Bio

this is going to be interesting...

#35 Posted by The Impersonator (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the new look on the Spidey costume. They could have used the similar costume as the previous movies.

#36 Posted by DeadJester (89 posts) - - Show Bio

not really digging the new suit. feel like he should be wearing flippers and a snorkel on the beach in a suit like that. like the grey coloring against the red, but not the design.

#37 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this movie may end up surprising a lot of people. I'm looking forward to it

#38 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

Going the ultimate universe route with his parents i see, nice...

#39 Posted by caesarsghost (559 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you movie maker people for the new villain!

#40 Posted by ravisher (683 posts) - - Show Bio

grips on his feet?

#41 Posted by DKing_CiCADA (340 posts) - - Show Bio

@Baddamdog: I might have to challenge you for her

#42 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

looks promising but we shall see.

#43 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really feeling any of this at the moment...

Sounds like such a mixed bag of bad directions and story elements...

So far, this movie promises us:

- A rebooted series, new elements (web-shooters, etc..)

- Spidey's origins again

- The Stacys (you can guess either one of them, or both!, will die in the movie)

- Connors/The Lizard

- Either the civilian identity or the costumed identity of an obscure character, the "Proto-Goblin" (seriously??)

- The untold story of Peter's parents

- Probably various story directions/moments to please today's teens (*cough*Twilight vibe of the movie, guess the rest*cough*)

..And I'm sure some more threads to either develop in the sequel or whatnot...

Remember when last time a movie tried to expose us in a 2 hours run as many threads as this? Yep, we ended up with a Spider-man 3!

Movies aren't either TV Shows or Comic books...they just can't sustain as many on-going stories THAT NEED to be resolved under such a short runtime!

From the sounds of all this I can already imagine this movie has 2-3 writers working on it...

sigh..

*will wait for the reboot of the reboot...*

#44 Posted by AngeTheDude (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Again, the suit looks like some movie prop that no regular person could ever build.

#45 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:

Have that feeling it's gonna be a lot more darker then people expect.

Well the pepole that where shown the futage say Pete is a wise ass and pretty sarcastic and its not as dark as what every one thinks it is.  
#46 Posted by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eyz: Aren't some of your points (rebooted series, new elements, Peter's parents) all part of the same thing.......the main drive of a new origin story. They are not separate plot points.

It's been confirmed that Proto-Goblin is not appearing in the film as the actor who rumors said would be playing Proto-Goblin is now playing another character.

The Stacy family is tied into the origin story as well as the fact Capt Stacy is part of a task force to investigate Spider-Man.

Spider-Man (unlike Batman) needs a love interest as there has always been some woman Peter has had a crush on, dating, married to, shacked up with, etc. The fact that a) Gwen Stacy is an independent and confident woman and b) Peter Parker is not a brooding character but a more wise-ass, joker like the comics seems to have no connection to any Twilight inspired themes.

So exactly why don't you think the plot points are necessary?

#47 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

...Do we really care about Peter's parents? I mean, honestly?

Because the only reason I find myself even entertaining the idea is if this is how Spider-Man connects himself to SHIELD and the Avengers. Otherwise, I could really care less.

#48 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio
@MutieLover said:

@Meteorite said:

Gwen was never particularly smart...or had a real personality. At least in the original 60's/70's run. This Gwen seems to be pulling attributes from the "Ultimate Spider-Man" and the "Spectacular Spider-Man" cartoon.

Good point, although I was thinking more about what they're doing in the film
#49 Posted by SexualLobster (995 posts) - - Show Bio

I think based off of what I've heard, read etc. this sets up the death of Gwen perfectly in the second movie.

#50 Posted by Mucklefluga (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like getting his powers isn't an accident this time?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.