inferiorego's The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #38 - Identity Wars, Part 1 of 3 review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Amazing Spider-Man Annual #38

Spider-Man, Deadpool, and Hulk end up in another dimension.

The Good

First, I'm a big John Layman fan, and I love Chew, and his humorous dialogue style continues over into this book, minus all the cussing and cannibalism. I had big doubts about this book because I'm always leery about annual issues, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that this annual was a lot of fun and involved one of my favorite elements of science fiction, parallel dimensional travel. This is a bit of a "what if" issue as well as we get to see a darker version of Uncle Ben and Peter, even though the alternate reality Spidey has a lame cape. It's a fun story, and the dialogue is probably the funnest part of the story. The kicker on this book is that this is a three part story that continues in the newest Deadpool and Hulk annuals.

The Bad

The artwork feels a bit dated. It has an 80s look to it with updated coloring. But more so than anything, if you're a big Spider-Man fan and pick up all of his books, you'll still have to pick up Hulk and Deadpool annuals to finish the story. It reminds me of the Citizen Kang annuals from the early 90s where you had to buy Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers annuals to finish the storyline, but at least, so far, this storyline is much better.

I usually hate... HATE... annual issues because they're one shot stories which very rarely change anything in the character or book's continuity. They're usually throw away issues from creative teams that are so-so at best. That being said, Amazing Spider-Man Annual 38 isn't your typical annual book, and while the events of this book may not change the landscape of Spidey's 616 universe, overall, the book is certainly worth your time. It's even worth more of your time if you don't mind picking up Hulk and Deadpool's annuals. I recommend the issue and the story, especially if the other two issues are written by Layman.
Posted by sora_thekey

" while the events of this book may not change the landscape of Spidey's 616 universe, overall, the book is certainly worth your time. It's even worth more of your time if you don't mind picking up Hulk and Deadpool's annuals. "

Wow. I trust your reviewing skills. I will definitely get this!
Moderator
Posted by inferiorego
@sora_thekey said:
"

Wow. I trust your reviewing skills. I will definitely get this!
"
It's a fun issue. Nothing more. But it's a nice break from the overly-episodic stuff shoved down our throats weekly
Staff
Posted by sora_thekey
@inferiorego: ...and it's Spider-Man! n_n
Moderator
Posted by ArtisticNeedham

What if you don't plan on getting the other two issues?  Can you still get it, or do you have to get the other two to see the story finish?  I guess I am wondering if the story is one big story cut into three parts or if the Spider-man's story ends here but a small part of the story continues in the other two?